Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuryFudge IDK ask Fury
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,324
    Of course you are allowed to disagree. But then say that and be done. It was his opinion on this suggestion. If you disagree, that's fine. But you didn't just disagree (and state your reason for it), you kept arguing with him about it and that's what I asked you to stop doing.

• Agree x 1
    • Potato x 1
    • List
  2. Ladyvamptress Bloodlust Ex-EcoLegend
    ECC Sponsor Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,184
    I don't get why everyone is arguing on a suggestion that brings both side into this and solves it!
    Everyone can walk away happy.
    If it can be done, +1

3. TaylorBros22 ***Ex-EcoLegend***
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,227
    My only problem with it is that it seems to take up time to develop, when the decs have more important things to do.

4. Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,608
  5. Ladyvamptress Bloodlust Ex-EcoLegend

Ratings:
    +3,184
    Of course as with anything. I guess it does come down to priority and things have been fine with the current rules and methods for this. But at some point this would be nice. :) Just to give everyone an option, not just one side. :)

#45 Ladyvamptress, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  6. TaylorBros22 ***Ex-EcoLegend***

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,227
  7. Disconnection Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +89
    I swear all the time, even to my parents, but they do it too so its fine. The purpose of this is that you don't have to see it if you don't want to. ECC has been around for a long time now, so people that started to play when they were about 14 ish could now be like 18. I struggle to think of 18 yearolds that dont swear in casual conversations. I fell this should be implemented to stop the spam of warns and arguments in global when people use swear words.
    So many time have I seen someone say "Shit" then the next 50 lines of chat are people arguing that they shouldnt have been told off for it, and it's okay to say.

• Agree x 2
    • Potato x 1
    • List
  8. UnitedStates2 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,302
    @TaylorBros22

I get that you don't like swearing, and I respect that. That's exactly what the suggestion is for! This suggestion is meant to cater to both sides; Players are currently split 50/50 on whether swearing will be banned or not - Changing the rules from what they are to ban all forms of swearing or allow them will alienate about half of the community - As a server and a community, we don't want that. And that's where this suggestion comes in; We offer a swearing filter for players who dislike swearing, and allow players who are fine with swearing to swear in moderation. THIS SUGGESTION CATERS TO BOTH PEOPLE WHO DISLIKE SWEARING AND PEOPLE WHO ARE FINE WITH IT. You dislike swearing, so enable the filter. YOU'RE GETTING WHAT YOU WANT! LESS SWEARING VISIBLE TO YOU! This is EXACTLY what you want - You dislike swearing, so you don't want to see it - And you won't for the most part!

You don't think people need to swear; I completely respect that opinion. Just as there's people who wish to swear sometimes as they use it regularly; I respect those opinions also! That's why we should be catering to both opinions! Makes sense doesn't it? This is a great idea to people who are fine with swearing and people who dislike it! People who dislike it get a filter and people who are fine with it get to swear in moderation! This literally the PERFECT SOLUTION to the whole swearing debate.

There's a wide range of opinions on swearing, many of which are cultural differences and literally differences of how people were raised by their parents. You don't speak for everyone and neither do I! No one does! Everyone has different opinion on this! That's why I made this suggestion! You can't just alienate an entire portion of players and expect them to move on. Things don't work like that. Players will quit because of that! As much as it sounds ridiculous to you, it doesn't sound ridiculous to other people. And again, you certainly don't speak for everyone.

Finally, you literally can't stop people from swearing on the internet. NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, YOU CAN'T STOP PLAYERS FROM SWEARING. You literally can't. So we allow players to swear moderately while censoring it from people who don't want to see it. This solution works the best. No other solution can beat it without alienating half the community.

At the end if the day, it does lots of good to people who don't like swearing, like you and people who are fine with it like Kuke, xX3 or I. You get what you want - Less swearing. And we get what we want - the ability to swear in moderation. It works for ALL OF US.

tl;dr: This is literally the best and most feasible solution to swearing. Fine with swearing or not, there's no reason to oppose this.

9. TaylorBros22 ***Ex-EcoLegend***

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,227
    As I stated twice before @UnitedStates2 the work put into developing something like this would be more beneficial to something more worth while. I said my piece before, and again before it was edited out. That's my stance. And I don't really appreicate the caps.

10. UnitedStates2 Builder

Ratings:
    +6,302
    It's not worthwhile? I'd say solving a big problem that devides the community is a worthwhile effort. Not just that, but with the minigames (New players!) coming, if we don't solve these problems now, they'll be exacerbated once the hub comes along. Better to solve them now when they're little problems in the proportion of what it's be when the hub comes rolling along.

Anyway, the caps were to make the text stand out. I'm on my phone (mobile website) so I can't use the text editor.

11. Sputnick587 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +276
    Is it though? Where I'm from, for the most part, it's everyday language. Use it in moderation, and unless you're talking shit about someone, usually everyones alright with it. Just don't talk about people and you'll be fine, just like regular language.

No, because that's talking about people. That's actively putting people down, and that shouldn't be allowed. If it's directed to make someone feel bad, then it's unacceptable.

Really? I like to imagine that I turned out just fine.

It's... a word. Seriously. Little jimmy getting exposed to someone saying a swear word isn't going to get him into contact with the cartel. He'll be fine. Just teach him wrongs and rights. He'll be fine.

Yes, and yes. I've done it multiple times. I got pulled over for speeding, first word out of my mouth was the f bomb. I met some good friends of mine by saying "I really f*****g hate this place."

I think you're blowing swearing waaaay out of proportion. Chill. +1 to the suggestion though, sounds like a great middle ground.

(this also isn't supposed to sound flamey, sorry if it does. this is just a topic that i feel the need to defend.)

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List
    #51 Sputnick587, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  12. Overprotected Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $300,000
    Ratings:
    +3,021
    You two both bring strong points to the table.

Taylor, yes it seems a TAD ridiculous that people have a need to swear, but I understand it, they want to talk freely and all but if the rules say censor yourself, hell that is what you need to do.

Nicit, yes though excessive sweating is unnecessary, it could be hidden with this suggestion so why not.

The thing is some people like to swear and others are ok with hearing in so this could be cool to have implemented or even something like /ch e which could be "Explicit Chat" or something, to keep the swearing to those Truckdrivers out there (not naming names;) ) and the peaceful language to the rest of the community, but Taylor is right that it's unnessecary.

This puts me in quite a pickle. I abstain.

13. UnitedStates2 Builder

Ratings:
    +6,302
    I'm not in favor of making another chat. All it would do is further segregate the community into two chat channels while making chat more messy than it already is.

This is the ideal solution as it caters to both sides of the swearing debate.

14. Overprotected Builder

EcoDollars:
    $300,000
    Ratings:
    +3,021
    I see what you mean, but I'm only concerned about the developer tools this would take.

15. Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,061
    This makes me think you're interpreting my point to be against the suggestion, which isn't the case.

16. Overprotected Builder

EcoDollars:
    $300,000
    Ratings:
    +3,021
    That's not even close to what I meant though. I just took your say as an OPPOSITE to Taylor's statement

#56 Overprotected, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  17. Unicow1221 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +156

Seeing how I didnt read the whole thing, if this has already been brought up, sorry.

I hear about people saying "I swore by accident." If it were a voice chat, totally understandable. In text chat, not an accident at all. You had to type it out.

Anyway, I see no issue with it. +1

#57 Unicow1221, Mar 3, 2016
  18. oootopia Utopian
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,954
    I actually feel like @TaylorBros22 is truly in the right here as far as how things should be but that's not the world we live in.

In fact I don't think there has been a single hour of playing ecc that has passed where someone hasn't cussed anyway either by accident by some builder or user who forgot where they were, because it was moderate enough and not directed at anyone and flew under the rule allowing such, or because someone was trolling. Any filter would actually reduce drastically the amount of curses anyone who doesnt want to see them sees.

And to be honest whether I am proud of it or not, I do curse in real life during reasonable moments and it would be kind of nice to be able to be less vigilant not to do so while playing ecc.

Because it would actually reduce the amount of course words those who did not op out would see and because I don't think it is a reasonable thing to get overly morally hung up over in this reality and also because I do enjoy the ability to use those words on occasion, +1.

Additionally I think forming nearly a witchhunt against one user's opinion to the point of actually insulting them is really flippin silly, just put your own opinion and reasoning out there. This is a forum suggestion not a political debate I don't think we need to be attacking one another.

#58 oootopia, Mar 3, 2016
  19. Ladyvamptress Bloodlust Ex-EcoLegend

Ratings:
    +3,184
    Just wanna point out that this suggestion isn't "debate Taylor's view". A mod has already come in and told people to stop picking apart Taylor's opinion. This suggestion isn't even about whether cussing is right or wrong! It's about whether or not this plug in should be developed/installed so that people can make their own choice to either see the cussing or not.

I still say +1 to this!
    I cuss like a sailor, but strongly believe that there is a time and place for it, thus why I don't cuss in game (and rarely on TS, depends who's in the channel). I would prefer not to see it myself, but honestly I could care less either way. That's what is so lovely about this suggestion, best of both worlds!

#59 Ladyvamptress, Mar 3, 2016
  20. Sputnick587 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +276
    When Tylers view is the one that opposes a suggestion, then I feel like it's alright to argue it. It's to make the point that there are more reasons to add it than to not add it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.