Accepted [Website & Forums Suggestion] Reform the wiki!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bangpopfizz, Dec 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bangpopfizz

Bangpopfizz Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +106
    In Game Name:
    Bangpopfizz
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    Website & Forums
    Short title for your suggestion:
    Reform the wiki!
    What are you suggesting:
    focus more manpower to create new improved articles on each subject on the server wiki, or revamp how to contribute to the wiki.
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    Right now, the wiki is in a rather peculiar place at the moment, (In my opinion and many others) the new forum wiki is severely underdeveloped. It lacks the necessary details and information needed to properly inform the reader on particular aspects of the server.

For example, for me, I have a hard time trying to re-learn and understand particular commands and mechanics from ext-creations and ext-commands plus because the wiki lacks enough detail and examples needed to explain to me how everything works. When I look at the page that is supposed to detail how to use every aspect of ext creations, all i get is 2 lines of text and a blurry image on how to create a door (this is obviously exaggerated). I ended up having to ask for help in-game to be able to create the door i wanted, which is a waste of both my time aswell as the time of others when it should have been readily available on the wiki to begin with.
    Other information:
    [an alternative]
    If the staff are not able to focus on contributing to the wiki often, might i suggest allowing all presidents+ or specific donors access to wiki contributions, while current wiki contributors and staff become the people policing wiki? Such people have enough to lose that it is unlikely they would attempt to intentionally ruin the forum wiki, and the staff can simply ban and roll-back certain parts of the page if someone does so. This could provide great benefits as people of such rank are obviously quite invested and experienced in the server and would be likely to contribute to the wiki if they had the opportunity. (this does not count as another suggestion right?)
    Plugin or custom addition:

One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

2. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,473
    Not all staff are responsible for the wiki content, the wiki team is actually a select number of users who also happen to be Staff members atm.
    We also have a forum section where users can suggest possible additions to the wiki as well as suggest changes/improvements. Any sort of those requests can go in the Wiki Team/User Submissions section of the forums.
    https://ecocitycraft.com/forum/forums/ecc-wiki-team-user-submissions.41/
    We also could just expand the wiki-team as well if we do need more manpower, but usually the Wiki-Team Leader makes that call, that is currently @pokeball92870

#2 ClarinetPhoenix, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  3. pokeball92870

pokeball92870 PokeManiac
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,547
    When a person does a critique on the wiki, it makes me extremely happy and willing to work on it.
    One of our main issues right now is page indexing- in other words, allowing users to easily find the information they are looking for. Before, instead of the Wiki Index we have right now (a big list of pages) it was a three-column system similar to the old wiki, which spread information out so that everything could be visible on a single screen. However, we had to switch over because of incompatibilities with mobile users who tried to access the wiki (HTML, esp. dynamic HTML, does not work as expected because the entire wiki is already in an enclosed container and cannot take advantage of certain things such as the mobile layout of the website).
    A lot of the information on the wiki does indeed need to be looked at and updated. I'll need to discuss with the current Wiki Team on a list of steps we should take and hopefully nail down any bits that need to be rewritten. We'll probably need to look for external platforms to organize the heap of work as a team, as the current wiki platform has no solid way of systematically marking/labeling pages as Needing Improvement. Instead, it's a manual effort that is easily prone to human error, thus cutting productivity. @ClarinetPhoenix will be working closely together to get this done.
    Wiki Team applications are now open and free for anyone to apply.

#3 pokeball92870, Dec 9, 2018
  4. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,056
    Wiki apps are open.
    Apply and make change.

Asking us to get to work and write an encyclopedia isn’t the way to go. You’re welcome to apply and make change ;).

Apps are open.

Marked accepted as @Bangpopfizz will be “reforming the wiki!”

Seriously though, @pokeball92870 works on the wiki constantly with the team, and there’s a proper wiki forum section for specific suggestions. This suggestion is the same as saying “Reform the server!” Please use the correct channels and be specific in the requests you want.

#4 andrewkm, Dec 9, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.