Denied [Website & Forums Suggestion] IncreaseSuggestionFormTitleLengthLimit

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Volvith, Feb 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volvith

Volvith Mediator
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +161
    In Game Name:
    Volvith
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    Website & Forums
    Short title for your suggestion:
    IncreaseSuggestionFormTitleLengthLimit
    What are you suggesting:
    Increase the maximum title length for forums from 40 characters to 80.
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    It's impossible to convey any sort of complex meaning in a sentence under 41 characters, and 80 characters seems like a reasonable length limit.
    80 characters would still fit on a single line of text on the forum page.

Don't know if this implementation is a mistake or what, but this length limit is pointless if limited to this degree.

EDIT: It appears i was mistaken, a title of 80 would not fit on a single line, a line of 60-65 characters would though. This is because of the [TYPE TAG] at the front of the title.
    Additionally, while editing a post, you can still increase the length of the title as you see fit, which renders the title limit even more pointless.
    Other information:
    Had to remove spaces from the title to make the sentence fit.
    This title is what 38 characters looks like.
    Plugin or custom addition:

One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #1 Volvith, Feb 13, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  2. Lopporit

Lopporit Shiny SA
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ Server Admin EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Prestige ⭐⭐ XI ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Team

Ratings:
    +968
    +0, the title is really supposed to convey a quick understanding, like for this one I feel like "Forum Title Length" would have been fine and gotten the message across, but all in all I don't think increasing the length would be a bad thing so it's just "meh" to me

3. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    +0 the title length is there for a broad idea of the suggestion to make things nice and neat. There is no limit to the actual “what are you suggesting” part, which is where you put a better description of the suggestion. It can be annoying, but I really don’t care or see issue with the length. I don’t care one way or another if it is extended, but there should still be a character limit regardless on what it is

#3 Jdawger, Feb 14, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  4. OlympiansAreGods

OlympiansAreGods Building Fanatic
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,755
    -1 As others have said, the title is meant to be a sentence highlighting what the suggestion relates to... Double the current characters would make for some not needed long titles.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  5. Volvith

Volvith Mediator

Ratings:
    +161
    Then up it to 60/65.
    40 is too little to form a coherent explanatory sentence.

6. OlympiansAreGods

OlympiansAreGods Building Fanatic
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,755
    I mean, if you want a few examples demonstrating why there isn't really a need... All front page suggestion titles managed to effectively convey what their suggestion was regarding... such as:

[All Main Servers Suggestion] Chest shop quantity color based on how much is in the chest
    [All Main Servers Suggestion] [ShopDB] Minimum Shop Owner Balance Limit for ShopDB 'Buying' Listings
    [All Main Servers Suggestion] Town name length increase.

The only title I've seen have a problem is the one attached to this thread, to demonstrate your point. I'm not saying that upping the limit is going to cause life-ending problems, I just think it's uneeded when all players (including yourself with /speed boat and the second example above), have managed just fine with the current limit. It helps keep the forum concise.

#6 OlympiansAreGods, Feb 16, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  7. Volvith

Volvith Mediator

Ratings:
    +161
    I mean one of those is mine, and i edited the title after posting it.
    I just think it's a bit silly to limit it to 40 when clearly 60 wouldn't be a problem (i agree that 80 would be too much on reflection), just by looking at my shopdb suggestion, seeing as it's 70 characters.

It's an easy change, anyone who wants to can pretty much bypass it by editing their title, and there's no real problems with 60 character titles.
    I get what you're saying, for most titles it doesn't matter, but then again, for those few where it does, why bother with an arbitrary limit like that?

8. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    I mean, as I said, I really don't care too much if it increases or not, but what I will say is every sentence can be condensed in characters/words and still get the point across. To use this suggestion's title for example

IncreaseSuggestionFormTitleLengthLimit - This is the original one you used to state how it is limiting - 38 characters using no spaces

Here are a few ones that fit the suggestion title that are under 40 characters and still get the point across:

Suggestion Title Char. Increase - 31 characters (including spaces)
    Increase Suggestion Title Length - 32 characters (including spaces)
    More letters for Suggestion Titles - 34 characters (including spaces)
    The list can go on

As @OlympiansAreGods stated, pretty much every suggestion, with exception to this one, gets the suggestion's point across within 40 characters. And as I said earlier, the short title for the suggestion is not supposed to be listing all the terms of the suggestion, just give a super broad overview of the suggestion. Have I personally ran into issues with the 40 character limit when suggesting stuff? I have more than once, but I still made my suggestion titles under 40 characters at the end of the day and made the details of the suggestion in the field after the "Short Title," with that specific field having many paragraphs in it. Short answer: if you can't make the title fit within 40 characters, try to reword it so it fits. It is annoying, but all sentences can be condensed to under 40 characters and still get the point across.

And like I said a lot in this thread, I really do not care if it increases or not, so don't get the wrong impression with my post here

9. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,380
    Titles don't need a really long description for suggestions or really any post. Its a title, not a summery of your thread. You use the content in your post to go over the suggestion/thread content in more detail.

A fine title for this particular suggestion would have been "Forum Title Lengths"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.