Accepted [Suggestion] Transparency

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by riku1301, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matrix_rep

matrix_rep Runner Up in BB20
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ X ⭐⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +7,451
    +1 so many think I was perma banned for scamming

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. a18greek18

a18greek18 Former EcoLeader
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $52,000
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    This^

3. Hackney_Builder

Hackney_Builder Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +205
    Over a ban list, my opinion is this:
    These sorts of things would be allowed "Why was johndoe banned" and this "Johndoe was banned for hacking in sg"
    but not "LOLOL HAHA JOHNDOE GOT REKT BY DA BANHAMMER!"
    Basically, you can discuss bans unless your trolling.
    PS: If there is a real user called johndoe, I don't mean him, it is being used as a placeholder name.

4. riku1301

riku1301 Oʀɢᴀɴɪᴢᴀᴛɪᴏɴ XIII

Ratings:
    +382
    The ban list's purpose is to stop people from needing get information from an unofficial source; just because they may be your friend and they give you one reason doesn't mean its either A. The right reason or B. All of the reason. Similarly, just as we've seen in the past few days even people who aren't good friends with perma banned users still want to know a reason and if you then spread the possible false information you're friend has told you it's easy to see how it can get out of hand. Keep in mind, when asking for a ban list the reasoning is not supposed to be a page of evidence for each person, its a simple as what's listed as their ban reason when they try and log in. This way people have a credible source as to why their banned and it will keep most conspiracies and spreading of false information to a minimum.

5. oootopia

oootopia Utopian
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,954
    Definitely nothing like your personal docs or anything at all like that Jaime, just like what I imagine is if hey some pal of yours who you're cool with were to ask "How's that End thing going?" what would you say? Probably something "Ah, I'm working on some things but it's coming along quickly so hopefully should be soon" or "Well it turns out its very complicated so its taking me a long time to figure it out and there are X amount of projects I'm doing first" like that level of knowledge plus maybe some very minor technical details plebs can understand. We all know you're a great programmer, we all know you are working hard, I think the transparency people want to know is more like how is it going for ya? Then we can form some level of understanding both about your status and what expectations we can form for new features :)

How you would prefer to communicate that to us is up to you if you feel willing to do so.

6. TheTexasPlayer

TheTexasPlayer Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +12
    +1 I want to know what happened with @SuburbSomeone did he delete his account? how do I come into contact?

7. TheTexasPlayer

TheTexasPlayer Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +12
    I agreeish, besides the fact that I dont have one of my friends contact info

8. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ

Ratings:
    +6,925
    he's permabanned for excessive trolling

9. ChargerBoltz5

ChargerBoltz5 Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Major +1 to transparency about everything sans the recent bans. That causes too much unnecessary trolling and rule-breaking about guys which shouldn't really be worried about.

That said, like, nothing has been improved upon lately in ECC lately. The hub has been sitting there barren for, what, a year now? There's also no sign of the End coming out, which has been necessary since the 1.9 release. Instead, since 1.9, we've gotten a few SG changes, forum upgrades, and 1.10. Come on, man, there's no incentive for ECC veterans like me OR new players to play on a server that appears to be more concerned with its forum than the server itself, which for over a year has promised skyblock and creative on a hub server "very soon." It was fine for a while, but I'm a little tired of the valve time excuse and I'm really running out of good reasons to play ECC as opposed to other servers with a variety of fun minigames and new developments rolling out consistently.

I would love to see what's on the agenda for the higher-ups. What's concerning me more than the fact there's been so few additions to the server is the lack of word from our supreme overlords. If life is busy and not much has happened, then I understand. I'd love to hear that over the silence that we've been getting, then we at least know what the heck has been going on. Please, let us know what's new with the ECC agenda. /end rant

+1

10. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    Jamie and I are both working on making things be more transparent with our individual domains. (Though as staff policy honestly your best tool is this exact forum, if you see a policy you don't like, no harm in suggesting a change.

A ban database will not happen as it just opens up people for people to from asking what people are banned about to potentially taking issue with it, and while they may not technically be allowed to we all know that would still happen.

11. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,290
    I personally would prefer to have our staff work on solving the problems rather than having to deal with communicating what will not make a difference anyway. Examples include:
    Hub with mini-games - there have been many issues that have changed the expected dates and we were all told about them. What good does it do to continue to ask over and over again? When it is completed, it will be released and we will all know about it then. Please just let them work on it.
    The End - it will be installed and available for all of us when it is up to the standards of our server. Please consider the ramifications of every single decision that is made as this server is unique. I would prefer to keep the stability of our economy rather than see rash decisions that would wreck our community.
    Perhaps our staff could get more accomplished if they spent less time dealing with useless bans and appeals and could spend time working on projects?
    Bans we are not told about, not really any of my business. I have seen many players banned one day and back again the next with no reasoning given and really none is required. This is our community, however, the server has, and will, belong to andrewkm and his decisions are always final (except when he changes them :p).

12. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder

Ratings:
    +778
    Sorry, I don't understand

I fully agree (and by the way that's one more reason to establish absolute permaban with no chance to ever get back for repeat offenders).

On the other end, I also think that transparency doesn't require a high amount of time from staff, if done wisely. For instance, though I totally respect Jamie's effort to have weekly podcasts where everybody can ask questions and he answers, I think that this takes much time for many people, including him. Of course if he does it because he likes it he's more than welcome, but it's not something that we could just assume. A more efficient way to let us know how work is going would be to make public his to-do list, as he suggested. What I mean is that we don't need staff to spend time to tell us what they are doing: if we could just passively "watch" what they do as they do it, it would just be sufficient. I don't mean "watch" in the literal sense: more something like the public to-do list. An easy way would be to have one thread where only staff can post: if they use that for part of their internal communication (only the part that can be made public) it would just be enough.

13. Whammerist5

Whammerist5 ø☗ø Guardian ø☗ø
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +839
    No one is going to look at a suggestion for transparency and go, "-1 I hate information being shared".
    While some more insight on development would be nice, that's really already happening.
    A public ban list? No. Simply a logistical nightmare, with people constantly asking staff and pestering higher-ups about this was a ban and why so and so got a perma for this... just not realistic IMO.

All and all, +1 to more tranparency on development, -1 for ban listing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  14. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder

Ratings:
    +778
    I really don't get how a public information on "who was banned when and why" would increase the number of people asking "who was banned when and why".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  15. Whammerist5

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +839
    It wouldn't increase the number of asking "who was banned when and why", that's not what I said. It would increase the number of people asking why this offense was serious enough for a ban/perma, and constantly pestering higher-ups about it.

• Potato Potato x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder

Ratings:
    +778
    If someone is so annoying that can't refrain from bickering or asking stupid questions such as the one you exemplified, then they are going to bicker and ask stupid questions regardless of whether the reason for a ban was public domain or not. Making ban reasons public domain will not increase the number of stupid questions, but it will significantly reduce the number of reasonable questions because people can just go look for themselves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #36 Expipiplusone, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  17. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ

Ratings:
    +6,925
    what? Are you implying those same people wouldn't already do that, regardless of whether the bans are public or not?

Your logic is quite silly, really.

18. Whammerist5

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +839
    Okay... if you don't agree with me that's fine. I just don't see what benefit it has and I just see a lot of potential downsides. Look at Phys or Nicit's posts, they probably explain it better than me :p

19. a18greek18

EcoDollars:
    $52,000
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    Imo you're just ignorant. Wham isn't wrong here. You are.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Potato Potato x 2
    • List
  20. a18greek18

EcoDollars:
    $52,000
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    I know what you mean. I got your back bud :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.