Denied [Suggestion] Temporary 9/11 Anniversary Tribute

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jbertig, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbertig

jbertig Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +126
    Minecraft Name:
    jbertig
    Suggestion:

For the upcoming 16th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and Shanksville, PA, I'd suggest mounting a single beacon on the North Tower of my 1/2 scale model of the original World Trade Center where the real tower's antenna was, and leaving it there for the duration of the day.

Reason:

I'm working on creating a photo-realistic model of the original World Trade Center, both inside, where tourists had access, and outside, where the public could visit. I'm doing this partly so the ECC community can virtually visit the landmark buildings which were tragically destroyed, and so we all can learn a thing or two that we may not have known, especially the younger players among us. I personally wanted to visit the Twin Towers back before 9/11, so building a virtual model based on pictures really gives the feeling of being there. The World Trade Center was a fascinating complex and this would be a nice tribute to everyone whose lives were lost or affected by the events of that day. The tower is too tall to get an antenna made of blocks, so it looks like it does in 1973 (very similar to the move the Walk if anybody has seen it). Having a beacon on the roof would make the building appear as it did when it was destroyed.

Other Information:
    @DrowningInPizza suggested this to me. A 3x3 of iron blocks is sitting in the spot where the antenna would be. Staff would place, and remove, the beacon. Here's some pics of what it would look like. The complex is a work in progress, but most of the major building is complete. /warp Regalis will take all users to Austin J Tobin Plaza, in the middle of the complex.

Link to this plugin/Is this a custom addition?:
    N/A

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #1 jbertig, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  2. JamieSinn

JamieSinn Retired Lead Administrator/Developer
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,588
    As much as I'd love to support this tragic event, we can't support just one, and having the rules bent for one will beg the same for the others.

Realistically we cannot give bypasses for rules, but we may add the ability to purchase beacon placements for a large fee in the extended future

• Potato Potato x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. lambiser

lambiser Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +906
    I feel that a 9/11 tribute would be amazing in the hub or something. I wasn't born before 9/11, so I could've never seen the towers. As for a bending of the rules, I mean, yes it is an American 'holiday' (Quotations because its infamous), I feel it opened our eyes as a world. Since it's in a single town, maybe you could make an exception? @JamieSinn I know (or at least I think) that you are Canadian, but 9/11 was a terrible loss for the country. We never saw it coming, and it tore loved ones away from so many people. We would all really appreciate the love of a tribute on this national day or mourning. As for you saying others would expect to be allowed to bend the rules for holidays, this isn't a holiday. And we don't have exact replicas of building everywhere in ECC.
    I, along with a few others,would really appreciate the memorial, but we could always think of other ideas to help honor the thousands of dead people and celebrate the heroic actions of hundreds.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. zevzero

zevzero Member
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,847
    boss battles, hidden netherstars at spawn, player-run server events (with custom warps/protection), and mineruns are just an example of some gamerules being broken in the past. They're all for the community, and everybody loves them. They make ECC more interesting for players. It's not a bad thing.

I think exceptions for things like this should be made once in a while. after all, they have in the past! placing one beacon isn't really a huge deal compared to all the work and thought put into this project. He's not asking for much. It's been done before.

worrying that everyone will start begging for their own special treatment is easily manageable. Just say no if you think it's unreasonable, or better yet, make a thread where players can request special one-time events like this. At the end of the day, it's not a big deal and will only help the community going forward.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
    #4 zevzero, Aug 17, 2017
  5. JamieSinn

Ratings:
    +4,588
    Those are server run events, not user builds.

I understand your thoughts, but you ignored the second half of my post.

6. zevzero

zevzero Member
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,847
    Not ignored - I didn't bring it up because it wasn't relevant to what jbertig needed in the moment, and that's what I was replying for

It's great to see something like that taken into consideration, but by the time beacon placements become a thing (the extended-future), the event would be well over

#6 zevzero, Aug 17, 2017
  7. lambiser

lambiser Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +906
    @JamieSinn , Americans are really touchy about 9/11, its best for the community to just go with it. Also, @ZevZero , exceptions, as jamie said, were never made for legit holidays non-worldwide. I can feel some heat between you two, but dont worry! You are stil amazing!

#7 lambiser, Aug 17, 2017
  8. JamieSinn

Ratings:
    +4,588
    I apologize, but as @Nicit6 said to me in Skype, we're a game server.
    Creating a sombre memorial won't add anything to our server.

I understand the deep emotion that proprietary feel towards this event, but as we specified in the pm you sent requesting this, it's not really a "thing" we can do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.