Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frostystorm1 BulletClub ︻╦╤─ | Former Senior Super Moderator
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,095
    Minecraft Name: Frostystorm1

Suggestion: Make a bot or program to evaluate staff activity based on hours spent unvanished in game.

Reason: Currently staff activity is evaluated by checking the amount of hours that a staff has spent in game, the problem with this is that a staff can easily use /v to get out of executing their staff duties while still technically being "in game". Staff should be evaluated by the number of hours they spend actively moderating and helping people, not the amount of time that they can melon farm or fish during. :p

Any Other Information:

Hopefully this would help to not only more accurately determine which staff are active, but also it will encourage staff to keep the community in great shape!

- If a staff wants to actively moderate, they would usually be unvanished. This would be logged by the program as time legitimately spent moderating.
    - If a staff is vanished, it is 90% of the time due to the fact that they do not want to be bothered by other people and are trying to make money or do other personal things, or just in general, play the server. This means that they aren't really doing staff work, these hours shouldn't be counted in overall staff activity.

Note to consider: Use this method to only evaluate blue mods, since higher ranked admins/mods may need to be in vanish in order to actually do their staff work.

Link To This Plugin/Is this a custom addition?:

No plugin required, just a bot or custom program.

#1 Frostystorm1, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. JamieSinn Retired Lead Administrator/Developer

Ratings:
    +4,588
    Sadly we can't actually check this as the delta between commands could be not in pairs, eg. You could vanish then log off. This would show you incorrectly offline until you next did the command.

Also, staff moderate while in vanish a lot.

3. Frostystorm1 BulletClub ︻╦╤─ | Former Senior Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,095
    1) I think a bot could maybe pull this off. If a "normal" user was polling for online staff every minute or so, it could add a value of 1 onto a variable that stores the overall activity for that staff for the month. The variables would correspond to minutes online, and could be easily converted to hours in order to find hours/day.

2) I updated the main post to account for this :D

#3 Frostystorm1, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  4. 314 Irrational Moderator, former ServerAdmin
    SuperMod EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $4,900,000
    Ratings:
    +4,911
    I'd assume it should be possible by using vanish and its other forms as the beginning of the pair and disconnection/unvanish/another vanish as the end of the pair.

<begin subtle hint>
    I wonder whether ECC has a GameAdmin who is insane (and bored) enough to consider writing such a program...
    <end subtle hint>

5. Frostystorm1 BulletClub ︻╦╤─ | Former Senior Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,095
    Yes! I just learned how to use regex in Java, technically you could have a bot running with a text file of staff usernames and times. Every 10 seconds the bot would update the text file and add a value of "10" (or whatever interval it is checking) to each staff it sees online. Because the bots would see vanished and disconnected staff the same way, it would work.

6. Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,061
    A bot is unnecessary.

Also being vanished doesn't count? Damn, I probably never should have been promoted past blue, then.

• Like x 1
    • Potato x 1
    • List
  7. JamieSinn Retired Lead Administrator/Developer

Ratings:
    +4,588
    We won't be running a bot to do this. Server logs are exact and we don't intend on changing this.

Also, we do check for vanished staff. @ClarinetPhoenix can explain more.

8. ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,458
    A vanished staff member doesn't necessarily mean a non-working staff.
    I know you said to exempt admins but I am still a fine example of this. I may spend my entire day in vanish but that doesn't mean I'm not working.
    When activity checks are done we don't just look at hours spent in-game. I also examine in-game activity via logs if I have concerns as well as looking at various actions a staff member might do if they are actively participating in moderating.
    If vanish overuse seems to be an issue I also will look into time spent in vanish. We don't need a bot to do this. Nor do we need to count vanish against online time purely for using it. A variety of factors play into what determines as acceptable or unacceptable Staff activity and that is something that needs to be determined manually, not by numbers a script or bot gives us.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.