[Suggestion] Rule change?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by RealRunakilli, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    My personal opinion.

2. TdoggTL

TdoggTL Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $552
    Ratings:
    +532
    blowtube123, who gives a shit . . .jk but who seriously cares if I or any other user occasionally slips up and says a mildly bad word. If you say a bad word that is vulgar,racist, etc, then you will be dealt accordingly as kuke said. I don't care personally if someone slips up if something bad happens. The only problem is when poeple go overboard and start cussing continuously. You are basically saying that no one ever swears, and when they do, they should get punished for it. Damn. A wee bit harsh if you ask me?

#102 TdoggTL, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  3. MsMoofin

MsMoofin (Don't) Paddle (the) Cow
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +829
    "some" is not an accurate word - "most" is.

There have been studies (Mythbusters is one group of many) done that completely say otherwise to your statement of "just plain dumb." At least, it depends on the type of "enhancement" you are talking about, as there are many. Emotionally - even typed, not just spoken - it makes people feel settled more emotionally and shows stronger feelings (bad AND good), which helps OTHERS to better and/or fully understand how the person is FEELING. Censoring (or "censoring") and using such common language does not do that in the same way. Many think it does, but it really does not. At least not in our current day and age. Swearing is still not completely common (as some of you seem to be implying, without even saying it), so it still has this effect with emotions.

Also, how is it "lazy language?" Lazy language would be chat speak, n00b sp3@k, and shorthand. Swear words are not shortened nor shorter than any other word people would use as a replacement - the keys are in no easier typing position, either, nor easier to pronounce vocally than other words. I do not see how it is a lazy language.

I have considered everything said on this thread, but some people are fighting strongly against completely banning "bad" language, without considering other sides to it (more people for swearing are looking at the sides of against swearing, than the other way around).

Seeing a lot of people swear without care bothers me in the way any swearing bothers you. Many people throw the swears around like nothing, and that is not how they should be used. Especially when I hear them vocally, it bothers me and tends to keep me away from those people. However, swears can be used to actually show emotion in ways that other words cannot - and that is why I am not for the complete censorship of swearing. However, I am completely for a refined protocol for Staff when it comes to the current rule on swearing. Some words should not be allowed / always warned for, and the far more minor ones are allowed in scarcity / without abuse.

At this point, I am pretty sure the base discussion on this thread is not about what the suggestion initially was going for (at certain areas of the discussion, at least). And it is hardly a ploy when there are clearly people from all sides (for swears, against swears, and in-between/looking for balance, such as myself) bringing discussion in and preventing Andrew / Staff from being easily influenced by popular "vote" / influence.

And dork1877 is right - change the rules, and people will bend and push them. ECC's rule that makes bending rules illegal is not relevant to what he was trying to say (at least, in the way I read it). It is the fact that when you completely restrict people from something, they rebel and there are even more troublemakers than before (i.e. we are NOT trying to lose players, even if we don't "want" the troublemakers). One good example is legal drinking age in America vs other countries/nations. The more you restrict/censor, the more trouble there tends to be. People do not like to lose all freedom; especially with something that can be harmless in small quantities.

4. MsMoofin

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +829
    Also, anyone who is essentially coming off as "for swearing" - do not troll around and use swears to purposefully bother the people who do not like them. That is trolling / harassing / disrespecting them, and can get you forum warnings (I suggest checking up on the forum rules).

If you do not have anything nice to say and you are not actually adding to the discussion(s), this is not the place for you to be posting. Even if you can only think of one- or two-sentence responses, that is fine; but you need to be mature and follow the rules. Some of you are pushing it [continually], so consider this a reminder/warning.

5. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470

6. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470

8. HCPillarofFire

HCPillarofFire Builder

Ratings:
    +469
    Opinion kuke that is all it is, opinion. Culture, upbringings, religion whatever the case it is opinion. I personally believe that the social construct of swearing is lazy, I just feel that there are way better ways to express extreme emotion than swearing the f word when you die in a sg game or lose 1 mil in the lotto. Not sure why it is satisfying for some to type it out instead of say it verbally either but again that is just me. This is another case of the Majority over the minority and I am fine with that I guess long live democracy. That is just me but I do think that this suggestion should just be done and settled already. As a mod I never warned for "damn" "hell" or "crap" warning for those words is just ridiculous even if the minor shit was spoken I was pretty chill about it, but I always gave a language warning for a f*bomb or worse, but I think I rarely did any banning for language that wasn't excessive actually I think I only ever banned for obvious language abuse trolls. What I am saying is that the rules are fine as they are. They are lax and strict in a nice balance that I think serves this servers purposes. With that said this darn thread just needs to be locked this discussion will just go around in circles and I think the points have been made. Conclusion the thread asks for a change the answer is no the rules are fine as they are.

9. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    But would you rather people cry in global. My brother is a pain in the ass and always gets pissed off and would cry but, my grandpa said to curse, not cry. Crying can go on forever when cursing can just be told to stop and it will stop.

10. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    You know I would prefer people to cry in global. At least I don't have to hear them swearing. Crying is a lot better then swearing in my opinion.

11. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    Quotes aren't working for me, this is kukelekuuk00.

I don't see how swearing expresses "extreme emotion." If swearing even showed emotion, how is saying "Darn." "Crap." "Damn." better than expressing yourself by dropping fbombs in front of kids? To add to this, you asked for an example. This is really hard to do because all other ways to vent are completely outlawed or nobody cares. That's a main issue- nobody cares. How are you supposed to expect sympathy or someone caring if you swear instead of saying "I'm sad"? If that's how people express themselves, then by all means do it but do you have to do it in front of everyone? I don't think swearing in front of everyone is going to draw attention to yourself. There's no other reason for keeping it besides "you/the majority wants it" and that "people grow up this way." So I'm assuming now that all the little kids on the server and builders are going to grow up swearing.

#111 AgentHare, Aug 10, 2013
  12. usapresident999

usapresident999 Builder

Ratings:
    +207
    DAMN , mods please dont warn me im doing this because I lost my 1k i lotto :(

13. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925
    There's a large difference between damn or crap and the Fbomb, darn and crap are mild ways of expression an angry kind of disappointment, while the fbomb is just rage, not to mention the other meanings the word has.
    Also, I could easily replace "crap" with "I'm angrily disappointed", but no one would take it seriously and I would not feel any better whatsoever. It doesn't have the same feel.
    Note that everything said on ECC is written, written language has no emotion, so a good way to give it emotion is by saying the things you would when you express that emotion, swearing is commonly used for that. When I lose a game I say something like "shit" or "crap", although I do it in a different chat so I'm not breaking any rules, but not everyone has a place to vent.

If I were to say "crap, I lost my tools" then I'm expressing my emotions in a more clear manner, although sympathy wise it's nothing different from "I'm sad, I lost my tools", but for my own emotions, my own feelings "crap" would make me feel better, it would lessen the emotion.

And your assumption couldn't be more wrong, we keep it because people are content with a limited freedom, but they're not content with no freedom at all. Like I said in my post, disallowing swearing altogether, no matter how mild, will make people upset, angry or even make them leave ECC. I myself would be upset, although I do not swear in chat, I wouldn't like the fact that I'm not allowed to swear whatsoever, because people like the freedom.
    This doesn't mean people are allowed to swear all over the place, this doesn't mean swearing will control chat and this most certainly does not mean that little kids on ECC will grow up swearing. We allow swearing, but we do keep it to a minimum.

14. MsMoofin

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +829
    Jason1964
    I do not care about my own freedom of speech on ECC when it comes to something as simple as swearing. As it currently is, I do not swear publicly on ECC because I know there are kids who get upset by it (and it seems some adults, who generally seem to just ignore/shrug it off).

What I care about is keeping users on the server; preventing paranoia; preventing hate; preventing exclusion; keeping freedom of expression; and preventing users from feeling like their lives are being run by kids/other peoples way of being raised. That is why I am all for a balance between the two extremes. Any time there are two extremes for something that is so harmless (compared to many, many, many other things) and is on the Internet - the whole entire world - there has to be a balance, an in-between, so that everyone can be "happy" and not just one minority or one majority.

usapresident999, you received a forum warning [earlier] for trolling. I made a warning post earlier - go read it, if you have not (although, I am under the assumption that you already did).

#114 MsMoofin, Aug 10, 2013
  15. brandbauer

brandbauer ℬeacon ℒegend
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +798
    I care.

16. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    And I care as well.

17. TdoggTL

TdoggTL Builder

EcoDollars:
    $552
    Ratings:
    +532
    A bit too much about minor swearing if you ask me.

18. brandbauer

brandbauer ℬeacon ℒegend
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +798
    Minor swearing like damn, hell, crap, etc. Don't bother me. It is the other, more harsh words that do.

19. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    I have thought about this for quite a while, and have come to the following conclusion.

I am willing to accept small words such as "crap" or "damn" because I know that a total wipe-out of swearing won't happen right now. But I really want to to be more strict, nothing worse then "hell" please.

20. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Another standpoint I don't think that has been brought up is words that aren't censored on the radio should be allowed while if it is censored, it shouldnt be acceptable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.