[Suggestion] Rule change?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by RealRunakilli, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vdubmastertech

vdubmastertech Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +150
    We aren't discussing swearing AT someone which is clearly against the rules.

2. _Mendiboi

_Mendiboi President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $36,278
    Ratings:
    +451
    No one here is arguing that obscene language which is directed at another person is permissible, we simply support all language which is said simply for its own sake or in the case of unfortunate circumstance.

3. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470

Look, if we go with your points.

1. Swearing can't be compared to anything else, it's only words.
    2. Swearing is no big deal, lets ignore it.
    3. Swearing is only words and they can't really hurt anyone.

With these three points as your main reasons, then no, I cannot debate against this for very long.

The problem with a debate on swearing is that it's 90% opinion and 10% fact. With a debate on griefing, it's 90% fact and 10% opinion. Easy choice, griefing is bad, ruins things, hurts people, we can't allow it. Swearing is more opinion then "Oh noes swearing you will ruin your life D: lets ban it".

Your opinions are the above stated sentences, but these are my opinions:

1. Swearing is bad.
    2. Swearing it a big deal, you just can't ignore it, and it can be compared to other bad things.
    3. Swearing IS only words, but words are important.

Point 1:
    Swearing itself is bad. Completely true. Swearing does not show anything good. Some people think "who cares". But I care. Because I think it's bad.

Point 2: All bad things can be compared to other bad things. But it's all a matter of opinion there. You may think murder is not as bad as swearing. That's your opinion. There's no "uh oh, that's a 7 on the Bad Scale".

Point 3: Words are important. Without words people wouldn't be able to communicate. Words have changed history. Words have shaped the entire world. Without words what's the point of books, poetry, or music? Without words what's the point? Speaking out loud is fine, but there's nothing like the power of the written word. In ECC, everything is the written word. There's a famous saying, you may have heard it, "The pen is mightier then the sword". In many many ways I believe this to be true. Where would all the worlds political leaders now and through history be? They wouldn't be, that's the answer. By taking something as amazing as words and slandering it with swearing, is a complete disrespect for something powerful.

But in the end, swearing is a matter of opinion. Yes, there are facts on it. Good and bad. But not nearly enough to warrant at complete decision.

4. dgam02

dgam02 ♫ Shitposting Ex-SA ♫
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,377
    You guys blew this out of proportion. People swear all the time. Sometimes its the way they are brought up, or in most cases its just social media. The fact that you want to make it so no swearing is allowed at all is ridiculous. What is this an elementary school? Just chill out and if someone says shit or fuck once in a while because something happened to them, let them be. Now if that person is repeatedly saying that over and over to people, then you can report them. Simple as that. Also, the fact that there are little kids on the server really doesnt mean anything. If the parents allow that child to play the game, they should know what goes on in it before they buy it. Nuff said.

5. _Mendiboi

_Mendiboi President

EcoDollars:
    $36,278
    Ratings:
    +451

Wrong.

I'm all for brevity so here is why:

Addressing foul language in terms of ethics is just daft. I ran through some common models for "right and wrong" and I can't seem to be able to construct a logical argument for the criminalization of profanity which is not directed toward someone else. If you would have provided some sort of logical argument, then I would have likely had something to criticize.

Secondly, actions may be comparatively analyzed! One can compare murder and theft, and validly conclude that murder is a more serious offence, since the action of murder takes away a higher right. People have more of a right to possess their lives than they do their property, since the right to property is a derivative of the right to life!

Thirdly, profanity is very emotional and actually enhances the meaning of written language... when used intellectually.

Furthermore, backing out of an argument on the basis opinion is very irritating... just so you know. :)

6. 72Volt

72Volt Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +99
    How about we give everyone one swear word in Global every 15 minutes, and any more than that receives a warning? I'm personally used to not swearing, it was a strictly enforced rule on my last server, so no, I don't swear in Minecraft (though I do IRL), but I don't disrespect those who choose to swear. We can argue all day and all night about the legitimacy of swearing, but the real matter is not a complete ban on swearing, nor a complete relaxation of swearing, we are trying to figure out where to draw the line. My proposal is the 15 minute principle.

7. HCPillarofFire

HCPillarofFire Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +469
    Swearing's bad mmkay. All joking aside. I really think you guys are missing the point. This server is a community of 90% children. 12-16 average age, yes I know some kids at that age still swear but this game is not your personally porta potty for venting at people with swearing or even not at someone. If you want to swear do it with your voice. Why must you say it on the server? To see how others react? To make yourself seem more mature? To make others feel what you feel? Who gives a rats well you know about what you are angry about. Someone mentioned that swearing enhances language. Whoever said that is just plain dumb. Swearing is lazy language. Instead of saying something more intelligent about what you are upset over or even just saying in passing does not make you have a better vocabulary sorry but you logic is spurius. I know this thread was created with the intention of relaxing or modifying the rules on in-game and forum immature or inappropriate language; however you want to interpret it, but as I said before this server; though it has its various age groups, is primarily children. Before whoever reacts to my post replies with your furious typing and your high and mighty atitude, consider what I am saying before you decide to be a blowhard. Lastly when I see all these kids swearing to make themselves feel better I feel a paternal instinct to want to slap them across the head and force them to think twice before taking a witless stance and chose to cuss because it feels good. The rules are in place and should stay in place. If they did not work they would not be rules.

*ps* I am not for or against what people do in the private lives when it concerns this topic. That is their business but leave your business private not on the server. I think this thread should be locked as all it is; is a ploy to try and make an excuse to bring language onto the server that otherwise shouldn't be here.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Sputnick587

Sputnick587 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +276
    Jason1964

We're you raised being told swearing is bad? I feel that the reason your opinion is so strong is because you have been sheltered from it your whole life. You have never really been exposed to swearing. I'm guessing your also home-schooled.

9. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    I think you should instead respond to HCP's post.

I personally keep emotion and personally feelings or opinions out of debate.

10. dgam02

dgam02 ♫ Shitposting Ex-SA ♫

Ratings:
    +6,377
    15 minutes. I dont even know what to...

11. dork1877

dork1877 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +1,252
    "Give them an inch and they take a mile" - revanrose6
    No need to change the rules. it will just lead to people trying bend and push them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

12. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    Bending rules is illegal.

13. oreo1227

oreo1227 ℓαριѕ ℓαzυℓι

Ratings:
    +3,193
    Honestly I swear in person, around with my friends but not family or people I care a lot about. I do not swear on ECC 1) it is childish 2) I am trying to fix that 3) parents sometimes watch the screens...

14. dork1877

dork1877 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,252
    In theory. But not necessarily in practice.

15. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    See? People usually don't swear around people they know, or family, or young kids, or parents. Know why? Because swearing is not good, and should not be used.

16. dork1877

dork1877 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,252
    I swear like drunk sailor at work, at home, at family events (we all do, but I'm usually the worst) but one if the reasons I love ECC is because they don't allow it. It's like an anti swearing utopia.
    I really think that PUBLICLY changing the swearing rules would lead to some users using it as an excuse to get out of due punishment. Give them an inch and they take a mile

17. _Mendiboi

_Mendiboi President

EcoDollars:
    $36,278
    Ratings:
    +451
    Don't be silly now... simply because you figure that profanity correlates with lazy language is cause for me to cleverly argue that whenever one wishes to artistically express laziness in language he could employ profanity. In such a case, the artistic value of the artwork would be enhanced as a result of the profanity.

My reason for even being bothered by this thread:

I'm tired of the staff team removing signs in my town that have mild profanity not directed at anyone. This has happened on a few occasions and it is very irritating.

18. Olovice

Olovice Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +90
    If you don't want to deal with people swearing, then you shouldn't be on the internet. People swear, that's a fact of life. If you don't like it, then leave. If your parents don't want you to be exposed to swearing, then they should know better than to let you join an online community such as ECC. Kbai.

19. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ

Ratings:
    +6,925
    The rules as we have it now are fine, people are allowed to slip up and not everyone is able to control himself. Hell, even I have trouble controlling myself sometimes. I usually vent in private chats instead. But not everyone can do that. This can have multiple reasons: They were raised that way; they miss the mental "filter" AKA, a mental illness; or they just don't understand that what they're doing is wrong and may hurt people.

But a slip-up happens only once, if someone is yelling curses and swears every time he loses or dies then that person will be dealt with accordingly, but we are not going to loosen up or tighten up the rules because of it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    Is this the staff's official position on it or your personal opinion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.