[Suggestion] Rule Change

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by knears2000, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knears2000

knears2000 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +1,958
    When kuke talks of how the rules should be equal for both in-game and on the forums, he's correct. That should be a sufficient enough reason to compel. You either need to change and abolish all swearing both in-game and on the forums, or allow it for both. As it truly makes no sense to me, nor to most people as to why there are two different rule sets for both things that need time to type out and hit "enter". You have to hit "Enter" for both, so I don't understand why in-game has much different rules than on the forums.

2. Dewsy92

Dewsy92 Ex-Staff Team Troll
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,643
    1. Swearing on the forums creates a permanent record of whatever is said.
      • Firstly, only the people who are online at any 1 time may see what is said. During off peak this could be as low as 20-30 people. Whereas on the forums, everyone who reads the post could see it and potentially be offended by it. If we don't edit threads then people may be reading it for many months to come. Secondly, a post is available to read forever (unless deleted ofc), unlike a message in chat ingame which disappears in a comparatively very short time.
      • So, forums = increased exposure of vulgar language which could offend people.
    2. In-game is instant messaging
      • As I said above, people posting on the forum generally think over their posts significantly more than when they are talking in game. This may show more of an intention to break the rules unlike in-game when chat is moving quickly, or you're reacting to something in-game which has raised emotions etc. I rarely re-read a message before I send it in-game, yet I often think about what I want to say on the forums.
      • A 'slip-up' is much more likely to happen in-game. There is the risk of 'Wc's' for a starter.
      • So, this may help explain why we are slightly more lenient in-game.

Have you ever thought that the reason staff come across more lenient in-game is because they can't edit messages in-game unlike the forums? People need to remember that this is a family server which does everything it possibly can to limit the risks of offending players, young or old. Whether you can swear or not shouldn't be a significant factor in how you rate a server, and if it is I think that you need to re-think your priorities. There are so many possible ways in which we can enhance the gameplay, the server, the community and I urge you to focus your enthusiasm on them.

#102 Dewsy92, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  3. Vintage_Gamer

Vintage_Gamer Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,219
    I think we all need to get a grip with this thread...

Lets worry about more things like the ECONOMY... rather than swearing... js

4. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
  5. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    As dewsy has stated, it doesn't matter whether or not how someone SHOULD react, rather it should matter how people will react. Whatever your opinion is on how people should react, people will get offended. People will get annoyed. It is those players who take control of the situations, as absolutely nobody has to swear at any point in time, there are better, family friendly words to use.

6. oxwood2

oxwood2 Builder
    ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Don't base your arguments on how you should think people react. Everyone has different standards on what is appropriate. For example, I rarely, if at all, cuss but am not offended by cussing for the most part. However my little brothers (oxwood3 included) think very differently of cursing. They are very offended because they are young. You have to be sensitive to other peoples' opinions.

7. TdoggTL

TdoggTL Builder

EcoDollars:
    $552
    Ratings:
    +532
  8. Dewsy92

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,643
    @knears2000 - You're missing the point. For the purpose of the rules or this thread, it is irrelevant whether people should get offended by them. Like I said above, I don't get offended by them at all. So I can understand why you do not either. But as you yourself said: 'there will be some without a doubt' [who get offended].

#108 Dewsy92, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  9. Sharkykzn

Sharkykzn Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +125
    My 2c.

This is a globally accessible server, hence the rule platform should be aligned with the diverse cultural and social sensitivities that will exist.

It is naive to assume that one can be free to express yourself without the potential that such actions may well offend another. After all this is the internet, and too often we see how a simple statement can result in an exchange of heated opinions and flaming due to brevity.

Now as a parent with teenage children, I do have a particular dislike of teens or more-so younger players using profanity on a public server. What goes on in ones private home, playground between friends etc - that is owned by these individuals. However I would expect a public server to have both rules and consequences to manage swearing and reducing the visibility of it.

Now don't get me wrong, I could more than likely out swear most of you, and in half a dozen languages, however I am bound by my responsibility as an adult & parent, knowing what is correct social behaviour in a diversely populated environment, refrain from such use. I see this as being linked to maturity in a way. As younger players may deem the use of swear words as being hip or cool. however the unjustified use leans more towards childish behaviour in my opinion.

As for internet censorship, that can open a massive debate. However one can choose what to look for and where, but since anyone can post anything, the due diligence aspect remains with the user.

Based on this, I joined ECC to play Minecraft, to share and interact with like minded players from around the world. This should not include being exposed to individuals who feel the need post comments or otherwise with profanity in chat, forums etc, and applaud the server for taking the stance to mitigate against such incidents.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. TheN00BISHPanda

TheN00BISHPanda Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +622
    First of all this^

Second, I have no need to curse in a videogame such as Minecraft lol. Maybe a FPS where you get shot at and get mad but for Minecraft not needed. All cursing does is cause problems with a player base like this. We have people as young as 8 all the way up to like 40. I for one am 15, I have been accustomed to swear words and when adults curse in front of me and apologize is annoying. Sure all these younger people will eventually know these words but no need to start them young. Someone will say something and someone else will get offended blah blah blah. I for one don't care if I see/hear a curse word. But just for the sake of other players and such I will be -1'ing this suggestion.

oh an this.

11. OlympiansAreGods

OlympiansAreGods Building Fanatic
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,755
    And plus why do you need to swear curse.... Why not just go damn or poop when ya get mad... This thread and its posts really show the maturity of people. knears stop trying this is not gonna be added.

This post was posted by the fabulous slayer_boy_2000. Feel honoured that this was posted! X D

p.s This is a signature :p

#111 OlympiansAreGods, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  12. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Again, I don't understand why people get so offended when I say "shit". It really makes no sense. Maybe that's why I'm so adamant as to why i feel this should be added. Please explain why people get offended and I'll /possibly/ change my mind.

13. yokeby52

yokeby52 Penguin?
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +538
    I see where you're coming from but you must remember what @Dewsy92 said, this is a family server and there are little kids here. What you said about if they can't handle it then they shouldn't be here, well, who says it can only be people who are younger? My girlfriend irl has a very serious issue with people cursing in front of her, and so do I. If you really feel the need to have to use curse words to express your point on an issue, then get a better vocabulary. I, for one, have an extremely extravagant vocabulary and can get my point across quite easily. And I don't wanna hear the "oh, you're on the wiki team you get the right to say that" stuff, just because I'm on wiki doesn't mean I didn't work my way there.

#113 yokeby52, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  14. PoLi_98

PoLi_98 Builder

Ratings:
    +41
    lol ^ i luv your extravagant vocabulary.

15. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    You clearly didn't watch the video, he clearly talks about vocabulary and cursing. I suggest you go and watch that before you say I have a minuscule vocabulary.

16. Dewsy92

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,643
    For the purpose of this, it isn't really relevant why people get offended. The bottom line is that some people will get offended, as you have said before in this thread yourself. It doesn't matter why. Yes swearing may be more commonplace than it has ever been before, but that doesn't change the fact that some people will get offended.

17. xHarambae

xHarambae President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +549
    Swearing is just saying the word, cursing at someone is being directed toward someone.

18. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    You're avoiding the question. I'm asking why people are offended, not that people will, but why.

19. Dewsy92

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,643
    So like you've avoided my questions throughout this thread.

My view is that you're missing the point. I'm not concerned with why people get offended. For all I care I could say that I completely agree with you that is it is weird for people to get offended BUT that doesn't change the fact that people do get offended. ECC becoming more lenient towards swearing won't start a global social revolution where people suddenly won't get offended by swearing. The bottom line is that some people get offended by swearing and whilst that is still the case, ECC won't change its stance on being a family server.

20. Zeurals

Zeurals Chase your dream.
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +123
    -1 Will not be in the community with excessive swearing,

I've seen games or servers that allow this type of language to be used. It's discouraging, abused a lot and is not for those younger players. It's unattractive and I won't be in an environment where swearing is excessive.

When you simplify state "shit", this can define to "a contemptible or worthless person." In the English dictionary. That's simply not acceptable behaviour and stand strong against it. We as a community aren't here to insult or harass players, we are here to have fun.

"Oh but Zeurals, I don't mean it in that way when I say it" Yes you do, because I'm sure everyone has a different view on it and someone may take it personally or offensively.

"Zeurals have you watched the video?" Not going to waste my time on it. Don't bother asking.

All the best with your suggestion.

#120 Zeurals, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.