[Suggestion] Rule Change

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by knears2000, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoLi_98

PoLi_98 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +41
    and?
    Are you saying nudism is bad?

2. FlyingIsOP

FlyingIsOP Builder

Ratings:
    +208
    This is such a dumb suggestion. If it were up to me instakick for d*mn and a** and then for a second offense instaban. Swearing is such a dumb and useless thing.

3. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Oh! It's a nine year old who hasn't seen anything about the real world! What will I do!? Nothing, because you're full of it. Swearing is not necessarily a "dumb" and "stupid thing". Can you provide me with a fact on why it is? Because an argument of opinion, shall get you nowhere my friend.

4. ChargerBoltz5

ChargerBoltz5 Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    One, it looks like he's not nine years old. He's 13.

Two, I believe swearing can, in fact, be dumb and stupid, when it is used so excessively, as well as in places where it does not need to be, such as here. Look, it's not the job of us on ECC to teach younger kids cuss words, right?

Personally, knears, I'd like you to check this out. I found it on a website. Yes, some of these don't apply to ecc, but still. http://imgur.com/qhHdSfV

Still, I ask, what are some positive effects this suggestion will have? All I've heard is, kids should grow up enough to be able to use the internet. That's not exactly a positive effect, I'm just wondering how will ECC gameplay be improved by this.

Imo there's a time and place for everything. ECC's not the place or the time to cuss.

I really don't feel like helping start a flame war, so from ow on I'll stay out of this thread as much as possible.

#44 ChargerBoltz5, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  5. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    it offends people and yes

6. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Let's end the entire human race if nudism is so bad.
    Every point on there is yet again, a point of opinion. Not one point on there is fact. In fact, look at the Netherlands. Kuke is from there, and swearing is in fact socially accepted. It's the 8th most intelligent nation in the world! So hell with "it's dumbing down America". Because that clearly is not a fact, at all.

#46 knears2000, Nov 15, 2014
  7. silencedterror

silencedterror Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +49
    I will make an assumption here and I will say that you are all (except maybe @knears2000 and @kukelekuuk00 and I might be wrong) from across the Atlantic- America, Canada etc. and that means most of you are brought up by conservative families. Everything to you is black and white and you get easily offended and what is the thing that offends you? Words. Sounds that you can make with your mouth. You are programmed like robots to react poorly to sounds and that is just pathetic. I am not saying that cursing is bad or good because its just words and words are neutral, they change their meaning as time passes and what offends you today my gentle little friends will be the new "hello" tomorrow. And if you are really so weak that some sounds/ letter confugurations offend you than you guys better not leave home because life will make you cry every day. And to say its childish and immature is just.... well childish and immature. How about you read a book that is not Dr. Seuss's but a real classic piece of work and tell me that the author was offensive or immature.

8. FlyingIsOP

FlyingIsOP Builder

Ratings:
    +208
    There are so many words in the English language you could use. Why would you need to swear, possibly offending someone in the process? Besides none of us have said it's "dumbing down America" and if it's accepted in the Netherlands that's great. They're immature doesn't mean we should do it here.

9. silencedterror

silencedterror Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +49
    Aaand this is maybe the most offensive thing on this thread and I'm not talking about what you said. Your ignorance is insulting. One of the most progressive country in the world you think is "immature" because they accepted swearing? What, really? Maybe they are mature enough ( I don't know what constitutes a mature country but I will roll with it so you can understand me) to realise that swearing means nothing by itself.

10. PoLi_98

PoLi_98 Builder

Ratings:
    +41
    preach

11. ChargerBoltz5

ChargerBoltz5 Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Look, I don't see everything as black and white. Also, not every North American was brought up by a conservative family
    Yes, there is a time and place for everything. No, I'm not saying that every time someone cusses, we should all freak out and go cry in a corner.
    Yes, cussing may be acceptable in different places, or in front of a different and more mature age group. As in teens+. No, on ECC, you are playing with a bunch of people you don't know, who could be, like, 11 and younger, or people who could easily be offended by some words. That's why the current rule is there, so that happens minimally. Also, like agenthare said, as soon as some people find out they'd be allowed to swear, chat would become filled up with it.

I'm just gonna leave this discussion now, cuz it seems pretty pointless, it's gonna turn into a flame sooner or later, and I'm 100% sure the suggestion will not be implemented.

12. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Do you realize what you just said? No, you don't. You literally just called an entire nation "immature". I hate to say it but, you're a communist. As only someone with communistic views would actually call out a nation for something like this. That's extremely, extremely offensive and ignorant. If you don't agree with my suggestion, fine. I don't care. You have your views and I have mine, but no one should ever call another nation "immature" for something that's social accepted like swearing. Shame on you.

13. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    Seriously? resorting to insulting an entire country of people to get your point across? I'm not going to argue any further. This is just insulting. And you really shouldn't be talking about immaturity if you resort to such insults.

14. PoLi_98

PoLi_98 Builder

Ratings:
    +41
    Game Over. Implement rule nao?

15. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    This is a family friendly server. Doing this would be ridiculous.

16. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925
    What he's suggesting is already happening in-game, but on the forums the swearing rules are more strict. I find that odd.

17. FlyingIsOP

FlyingIsOP Builder

Ratings:
    +208
    Are you aware your argument is terrible? Just because something is "socially accepted", doesn't mean it is good. Conforming to society is a sign of cowardice. Lets say "killing people" is "socially accepted," and everyone is killing people. Would you kill someone? You probably wouldn't right? But if it was solely based on your argument above, I would believe you to kill someone as you essentially said social accepting something is good. And besides, when I stated the Netherlands was immature what I really meant to relay was the fact that if they want to do their swearing in their country ok. That doesnt mean you should really swear here because it is NOT socially ok to a large majority of this server. Moderators and players alike are young and are getting bad influences or are just players who don't like to swear and the fact of that is that you got to respect that and you can swear on your own time but not here. If you want to swear here well I'm sorry just do it at home. You could say every swear word in your house while your playing Minecraft and it would be perfectly fine! I don't understand why you even to need to swear. Respectful players would accept that and stop swearing for other people. Oh and calling someone communistic for saying their views is ignorance at it's best! It literally is. When an ignorant person doesnt know what to do they call others names and try and win the argument by calling others names

18. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925
    Irony at its best.

One could argue that if killing one another was as socially accepted as drinking alcohol that a lot of people would be doing it. It is never deemed as wrong and it would be the completely normal. You assume that if something becomes socially acceptable that people would still think of it as bad, or evil. When it's just a normal thing and everyone does it. almost everyone drinks a bit of alcohol sometimes because it's socially accepted. If everyone was taught that alcohol was bad and if it were illegal then not many would be doing it. That's just a poor argument.

The origins of these swear words are lost on many people, and all we're left with is connotation. The word "kill" carries with it a lot of negative connotation, but people aren't offended by the mere utterance of it. Why should it be any different with swearing? They're just words, and sure, some of them can have negative connotation, but that's not stopping you from saying words like "murder" or "pedophile". Those are bad words, they have negative connotation. What makes "fuck" so much worse? These double standards involved with swear words are ridiculous.

#58 kukelekuuk, Nov 15, 2014
  19. FlyingIsOP

FlyingIsOP Builder

Ratings:
    +208
  20. AaraCraft

AaraCraft Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with both sides of this arguement. Honestly, cursing is not important on EcoCityCraft. Being, the majority of people on the server is just young adults or children, cursing should be discouraged. In such an environment, we should keep swear words to a minimum to keep from younger kids catching on. On the other hand, swearing has sadly become a part of conversation in America recently. It has been discussed and agreed on that 90% of parents in America cuss in front of their children. Maybe not often, but they do. This leads to the kids naturally beginning to do the same without the realization. Swearing isn't what it used to be... Nowadays, if you hear somebody say a swear word at the table next to you at a resteraunt, you don't even flinch! You might even toss a few between your table. To conclude, we should keep swearing to a minimum on ECC to keep it from little kids, but at this point in time, lets be honest.... swearing is becoming tolerable in society.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.