[Suggestion] Funny Rating

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by UnitedStates2, May 21, 2015.

1. goblizz

goblizz The One and Only
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,576
    Just to clarify, my optimistic ratings and creatives are genuine...iTz's appeal was optimistic for the situation, so I rated it that.

I think personally funny should be added, so long as you restrict it from staff apps and ban appeals.

2. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,302
    Alright, I'm just going to respond to all this nonsense about whether ratings are "harassment".

If ratings are indeed harassment, why not remove the optimistic rating, the potato rating, the creative rating, the informative rating and the friendly rating? All of those ratings can be used negatively. And so can anything else; Let's remove the /pay command because people will spam other players with it! Let's remove the PM command because will harass players in private with it! Let's remove the nickname feature because people will use it for impersonation, flaming and harassment! The whole point is, People will find ways to abuse Every. Single. Thing.

Saying that we don't need ratings because of this so-called "Harassment" is ridiculous. People will always find ways to harass and troll people. It's what people like doing, unfortunately. People are smart. They can find ways to abuse things.

I like ratings, and so do many others. After returning to the server from a 2 month "break" if you may, I found the new ratings much more enjoyable compared to the old three rating system of like, agree and friendly. Yes, that's right, some people, like me, enjoy ratings. They can be fun, entertaining and most of all new ways to get more positive rating points. :p

We must be realistic. People will find ways to abuse and troll with almost anything. However, I like many other users enjoy what these features have to offer, such as nicknames and ratings. And we shouldn't let this nonsense get in the way of the whole suggestion.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #62 UnitedStates2, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  3. block_crusher

block_crusher Prestige 6, Ex-Ecolegend, $ EcoLeader $
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VI ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +979
    +1 Yes please.

4. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder

Ratings:
    +6,302
  5. Whammerist5

Whammerist5 ø☗ø Guardian ø☗ø
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +839
    +1
    We already have ratings that can be more of "harassment" than funny. Optimistic, Potato, and Creative are already being spun in a negative light, and I honestly don't see why "Funny" would be a problem. It's more fitting than Potato and Agree in most situations, and like @UnitedStates2002 said, people can use anything to be a jerk. If someone is being a jerk with ratings, "spamming" you with them and such, just use "Ignore" on the forums. A "Funny" rating is not a problem, and I'd really like to see it added.

6. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +515
    Can every single thing be abused? Of course. Is not having a funny rating so detrimental to our forum experience that we must give trolls a new tool? I do not think so. Back when we did have the funny rating, rarely was the funny rating used. Perhaps randomly people would add it on pictures they thought was genuinely funny, but for the most it was on ban appeals/complaints and staff applications.

It is the same with creative- not only is it pretty much a useless rating, but there is a large negative connotation associated with it. Can I be a troll and rate a complaint with "winner" to show my disapproval? In theory yes, however I would have to hope they understood my abstract message. There is something about directly calling an appeal/complaint "funny" in a sense that is really hurtful. Perhaps the idea may seem absurd, but you have to realize that the people who get hurt by it aren't the ones who are debating the issue on a forum. They are the younger ones.

In summary, I fear that the funny rating upon return will once again become the troll rating, far more hurtful than any other ratings could ever dream to be, and the rating itself will become useless with the large negative connotation it has. In an ideal world, like, winner and agree would be the only ratings (they are the most common and they are actually useful). Should we bubble wrap community members? No. However, we should not add something that has worse negative aspects (hurt feelings) than positive aspects (it is fun).

#66 AgentHare, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  7. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    That is the exact definition of the potato rating.

8. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    This is like saying "Look at that" without pointing at anything.
    Second, if that potato rating is the "troll rating" to prevent misuse, than why in the screenshot previously posted on the thread are people still using the creative rating more than anything else to show disapproval (even optimistic is used more!):

#68 AgentHare, Nov 3, 2015
  9. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder

Ratings:
    +6,302
    Do you believe we should remove every single rating except agree and like?

10. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    I don't think you read my post, because I feel like I directly said my opinion on that.

11. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    You have a good point, and I'll admit, the potato is not used as often as Creative.

But as United said, why shouldn't we remove all ratings then? It makes no coherent sense to keep some and not the other, when they do the "same damage".

12. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Yes, and it's an incoherent argument saying that one has more negative connotation than the other, when you contradicted yourself in your previous post.

13. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    Because nothing carries the same message as funny. I can rate someone's post agree, like or winner. Let's admit it, unless I eventually express distaste in words than odds of them understanding the message is low. If I rate someone's appeal funny, than I clearly think it is in a sense a joke. It's a stretch for some ratings, but for a rating like funny the message is extremely clear. Nothing does the "same damage" as funny/creative

14. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    Please explain in how I contradicted myself, and I will make it clear.

15. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Then why are you not crusading for the removal of the Optimistic and Creative? It does not make any sense.

16. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    You state that funny holds the most "hate" of all the messages. Then you go on to say that Creative does in the following post, as well as optimistic in order to combat my argument of the potato rating.

17. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    I clearly expressed that they should be removed:

#77 AgentHare, Nov 3, 2015
  18. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    I must've missed that, I apologize.

19. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder

Ratings:
    +6,302
    Your two posts contradict each other, and so does what you say. I did very well read your posts, however they're very contradictory to make a call.

You have negative views about the optimistic and creative ratings, yet however you still seem to claim you don't want to "bubble wrap" community members.
    Don't see how you're coming to that conclusion. Potato and optimistic are pretty harmful as well, given that they're rating an appeal you put effort in a troll (potato) or that you're not likely to get unbanned (optimistic). Remove those two and don't implement funny, that leaves us with five ratings, friendly, agree, winner, like, useful and informative. Both useful and informative will be used as troll ratings, mainly due to their unconventional use. That leaves us with 4 ratings and both friendly and winner will be used troll ratings as they were when the other ratings were removed.

In the end, people will find ways to abuse everything, and ratings are easy to abuse with.

20. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    I gave you an example in which the use of the potato rating does not combat the misuse of other ratings. I did not say they hold more hate than funny.