Accepted [Suggestion] Don't delete old news posts

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by 314, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 314

314 Irratioπal President, former ServerAdmin
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $27,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,866
    Minecraft Name:

Suggestion:
    To stop the deletion of old "News, Announcements & Server Information" (NA&SI) threads.

I know there was a major purge of andrew's forum messages in 2014, but I'm talking about the 2015+ news.

Reason:
    Old NA&SI posts shouldn't be deleted because the subforum is supposed to serve as an archive for future reference. Many questions have become rather difficult (or actually impossible) to (reliably) answer, for example:
    • What was the number of sales in 2016 and/or which one was the largest sale?
      • This is useful to know for sale-related suggestions; the lack of data has basically made any resulting argument unusable.
    • Why was /sell toolbar disabled?
      • This would have been useful on a suggestion about half an hour ago. The actual answer is "/sell was disabled due to an exploit in November 2016, but the removal of /sell tb wasn't discovered until a bug report in December 2016". There used to be an announcement thread regarding a /sell exploit, but that thread no longer exists.
    • Who were the top voting winners in [month] [year]?
      • There is no reliable way to check this, except for looking at the event token thread's edit history (which is still not very reliable).
    • Since when can everyone access all of SG's base kits for free?
      • June 8th, 2016. This would have been nice to know for a few SG-related suggestions in the past.
    • When did 2016's LWC cleanup take place? That would be nice to know if someone asserts that they were online less than two weeks prior to the cleanup and therefore shouldn't have been affected.
      • November 30th, which is notable because it was a little earlier than the scheduled date (December 1st).

This is the content of the NA&SI forum as compared to my RSS archive (because I apparently never manage to delete anything):

[​IMG]
    Only 20% of 2017's threads have been deleted so far, but 85.71% of 2016's threads. I should add that my RSS archive may not be complete, so the deletion percentage might actually be higher. I started my RSS archive at some point in 2016; I can't say anything about 2015's data because I only have one single entry (although I'm absolutely certain there used to be a lot more).

Any Other Information:
    I originally noticed it because one of my bookmarks led to a deleted thread; then I noticed that my RSS archive contains a lot more threads than the NA&SI section.

Link To This Plugin/Is this a custom addition?:
    N/A

TL;DR:
    Deleting NA&SI threads is an activity that should be skipped because the information from the old threads is pretty useful. Also, I don't see any point in manually deleting them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,290
    As a supporter of our wealth of knowledge expert pi, I agree and hope this will be considered.

3. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,379
    I had a big long garbled opinion on the deletion of News Posts, but honestly I just have one question.

I don't agree with deleting of news posts either. I do feel that the news section should stay relevant to "now" but ECC has always appreciated its history.
    We use Archives for other sections of the forums to organize and keep threads for reference. Staff sections, BA/C for example.
    Why don't we use an Archive for old News and Annoucements posts?

4. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
    I agree.

News posts will no longer be deleted.
    Once they get too cluttered and old/out of date, I will add an archive forum for the ones that are no longer relevant.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    #4 andrewkm, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.