Accepted [Suggestion] Discord

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by goblizz, Sep 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goblizz

goblizz The One and Only
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,576
    For reference: http://tinyurl.com/ECCDiscord

https://www.ecocitycraft.com/forum/threads/discord-instead-of-teamspeak.152895/#post-855299
    This is a continuation off of this suggestion, which was denied about three months ago.

"Gob, it's been suggested and denied. -1."
    "Gob, you're beating a dead horse."

A lot has happened in three months. Here's my new reasons why ECC should use Discord.

1. The Merger. Jamie denied the suggestion stating that he and andrew didn't want to switch to Discord until ECC grows much larger. But as I thought about it, transitioning the community to Discord before dropping ECC into Arkham's hub would allow staff and users to get the bugs out before opening ECC to a larger player base. If we get 250 players active and suddenly switch to Discord, it will be a bumpy turnover. But seeing how dead TS is nowadays unless andrew is on, the switch to Discord would be pretty swift and simple.

This also doesn't take into account that about half of our current staff team has Discord and are added to the ECC server already... :p

2. Staff communication platforms become streamlined. Ex-staff as well as current staff know what I am referring to. Sometimes managing three applications (Slack, Skype, TS) for communicating with other members is tedious and hard to manage. Discord brings all of the best of the three into one: private calls (Skype), chat channels to tag work (Slack), and general discussion (TS). To add, staff are able to more efficiently moderate those in a voice chat because they're signed in already!

3. A second shoutbox. Any mod can use a simple "@here" or "@all" tag and announce something to the entire server on Discord. Crazy lotto in 10 minutes? Restart soon? A quick tag can tell everyone who is part of the Discord that something is happening.

4. No more tedious TS keys/multiple TS keys.
    Any mod or TS user knows the TS key process is a little bit...confusing. With Discord, you can add/promote with the click of a mouse. As long as the user fills out the same application as they would TS, any mod can quickly click the user into the "Allowed Users" group. And, once you are in, you're in! No need to reapply for a key for each device.

5. Better protection for IPs/personal information. Discord does an extremely solid job of protecting users IPs over Skype and TS. Just a nice feature for those who aren't interested in someone finding out their IP. 2fa can also be enabled if you are staff or a user who just doesn't want their account hacked.

6. It's free! The Discord server is hosted remotely wherever you wish...Eastern/Western US, Europe, Aussieland, wherever. Lag on NA-East? You can change the host to a different location (iirc). There's no cost to set it up, and nothing but a occasional labor to run it. Plus, ownership can be changed at any time. A decent-sized TS server (25-100 slots) can run you anywhere from $138 per year to $444 per year. And let's be honest here, how many people do you see on ECC's Teamspeak daily? That money saved in the transfer can go to custom development, advertising, or server costs. All while the Discord runs itself.

7. Responsive Support. Pretty self-explanatory. Discord has great service on their Twitter and website for support, plus their community can help solve most issues.

8. Bots! Users can create music bots, alert bots, and more. The possibilities are endless, as long as the server administration doesn't mind them happening :p

9. Getting in contact with staff. Ever wanted to PM a staff member, but didn't feel like it was worthy of a forum PM? Don't want to hop ingame just to ask a one-line request? Discord solves that problem. You can quickly DM a Mod (even if they aren't on your friends list) or tag a Mod in a global chat, and it will alert them. Ezpz.

It also tags along with #2. There were a lot of times on staff where I was asked to hop into TS to listen for whatever reason. As long as you're signed into Discord, you can moderate a voice channel. Even from mobile!

10. Discord is less CPU intensive (and battery intensive for you laptop and mobile people!). Discord uses less CPU than Skype and TS - especially TS. It makes all applications run a wee bit faster, and it also helps with your battery life if you are on a laptop. Plus, if you are on mobile, it not only saves battery but saves cellular data...all messages are stored locally!

TL;DR Discord is cost-efficient, streamlined, and would be good to implement /before/ ECC merges.

(Will add more if I see fit or think of something.)

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    #1 goblizz, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  2. oootopia

oootopia Utopian

Ratings:
    +4,954
    If we are going to ever use it, now would be the time to do so. Another excellent point would be that the teamspeak robot woman will no longer bother andrew with her incessant notifications :p

3. Riggs316

Riggs316 The Ultimate Rigger
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +763
    +1 I see no harm in using Discord.

4. TM_iBeast

TM_iBeast Not Staff Member
    ECC Sponsor EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +482
    +1 should replace TS with Discord.

5. goblizz

goblizz The One and Only

Ratings:
    +1,576
    Added points 9 and 10, as well as did some editing on other points.

6. RazorRimz

RazorRimz Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +646
    Discord is way better than anything else I've ever used and if we're gonna switch, it needs to be now.
    +1

7. RyanBlocks2

RyanBlocks2 EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +946
    - It looks better
    - It runs better
    - It's easier to use
    - It's cheaper to use
    + 1 million more

My IRL friend group and I have been using discord for our online communications for a while now and it's so much better than anything we have used before. Not to mention everything you can do with it.

Cannot +1 this enough.

8. rNin

rNin Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +84
    +1 because Discord is simply good.

At least the multiple text channels which is simply useful.

#8 rNin, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  9. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ

Ratings:
    +6,925
    +1
    Discord can replace TS3 and Slack, and even substitute for the (now abandonded) IRC channel.

10. Mission001

Mission001 Ex-EcoLegend HⱻặĐHůƞẗǝɍ
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $495
    Ratings:
    +6,478
    What kuk said,
    Make the Teamspeak channel in a discord channel
    And make the Staff Slack in another Discord Channel,

Means when most mods are at there computers, they can at least keep an eye on the 'TS'

And like others said, easy to multitask on it rather then having lots open.

+1

11. goblizz

goblizz The One and Only

Ratings:
    +1,576
    There's a way to make channels private such that only staff can use them. Just do that with the respective Slack channels, then you'd just need one Discord server for the staff and players.

The private staff TS channels have already been created equivalently by @Videowiz92.

#11 goblizz, Sep 6, 2016
  12. Mission001

Mission001 Ex-EcoLegend HⱻặĐHůƞẗǝɍ
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $495
    Ratings:
    +6,478
    I know there is @goblizz
    Thats why i said it :p
    From past experience from another gamming community i am apart of, they use this and have a staff area within the same discord

13. goblizz

goblizz The One and Only

Ratings:
    +1,576
    Looks like I misunderstood :p but another good explanation to add to the suggestion never hurt

14. 314

314 Irratioπal President, former ServerAdmin
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $17,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,866
    Why is this my favourite reason out of those listed...? Anyway, I'd like to see and possibly code that. :p

One small question about this. I like to keep communication software open on my PC to run it in the background. Wouldn't this equal being AFK on TeamSpeak most of the time? Not to mention the fact that not everyone would be able to use audio input or output every time they are logged in... is there a way to be 'hidden' from normal users, or would it simply cause many users contacting unresponsive staff members and being annoyed by that?

15. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925
    I'll demonstrate:
    [​IMG]

You can disconnect from voice entirely. And you can reconnect by clicking on a voice channel.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  16. Netsui

Netsui EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +274
    You're still displayed to the right where people can see everyone connected to the channel, there isn't a way to be connected to a channel(not voice channel) and be hidden on the right as far as I know.

17. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925
    It shows you as idle when you're not active, though. Or sometimes even offline.

#17 kukelekuuk, Sep 6, 2016
  18. Netsui

Netsui EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +274
    Oh I had not really noticed that, fair enough though.

19. goblizz

goblizz The One and Only

Ratings:
    +1,576
    #19 goblizz, Sep 6, 2016
  20. JamieSinn

JamieSinn Retired Lead Administrator/Developer

Ratings:
    +4,588
    I understand how much people would like this, but I think we have to wait until our current ts server rental runs out to re evaluate it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.