[Suggestion] Bring back the "Funny" Rating

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by knears2000, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    A high rating count doesn't mean that you suddenly like them all. Andrew has thousands, I doubt he could care less...

2. knears2000

knears2000 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Well, but back on topic, Ryan stated earlier, people hurt people, not a silly face on the forums.

3. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    And people hurt people through that silly little face.

4. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    I see that but I was taught in school and in my house that you have to the ability to speak up, so exercise the power and talk to them about it.

5. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    I can speak all day and still be hurt. It's better to cut off the hurt from the root, rather then let it grow and fix it later.

6. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Yes but, you haven't seen the bright side to this. Adding it back would be able to use this for funny posts.

7. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    You seem to be ignoring the dark side of this. There are literally dozens of reasons why we shouldn't add this back.

8. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    To make a suggestion, I saw both sides, I knew some were against it from the start but I thought i should go for it. Also, I would like to see you name atleast 12 reasons why it shouldn't be added back.

9. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    1. It's very offensive for people
    2. It's distracting from the important aspects of the appeals and complaints.
    3. Can cause you to lose friends
    4. Can cause you to be hated.
    5. Can cause mods to be un-objective.
    6. Is completely useless in the first place.
    7. Can cause rage, hate, and flame wars.
    8. Leads to further complaints being filed against bad use of the rating.
    9. It's impossible to define what's "funny". Expressing opinion is fine, just not good if people get offended.
    10. Leads to long arguments as to the idea of removing/keeping the rating.
    11. Makes players in general unhappy.
    12. When players are unhappy, Andrew is unhappy.
    13. People will complain about it again.

There's the reasons. While I admit some of them are a bit rephrased or stretched, I don't think such a list could be made for the adding of funny ratings back again.

10. TheWizardofNoz

TheWizardofNoz Builder

Ratings:
    +223
    This is about the most ridiculous conversation I've ever had to witness on this forum. The fact that rating someone's post "funny" and applying a little smiley face to the bottom of their post when they did not intend it to be funny causes such a problem is absolutely ridiculous. On top of that, I will never understand why it was made such a big issue that andrew had to remove it. Look, if someone wants to insult someone or "bully" them, they still will, in a comment. And if people are so upset with a funny rating that it literally causes them to leave the server, then they probably don't belong on the internet at all. Now, I'm not oblivious to the fact that the funny rating was being used in a way that was intended to make someone mad by suggesting that their serious post was laughable, I just hardly think it's a reason for andrew to actually get involved. And to suggest that we change it because "some people get offended" is equally flimsy anything. Frankly, I'm offended that it was removed, almost as if it was decided we couldn't handle rating posts funny.

11. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925

We can give forum warnings to posts, we can log posts and we can look at posts later on. We can't track ratings, we can't warn for ratings.
    The main problem was that a lot of people were rating complaints and ban appeals funny, there was a suggestion to remove the ratings from that section. Andrew read the suggestion and agreed with it, but, he isn't able to turn ratings off in a specific section, so he disabled funny ratings altogether.

12. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    Actually it wasn't until another post was started in the General Discussion section that he finally decided to do it.

13. 12345shane

12345shane ρяєѕι∂єитιαℓ ρяαєтσя
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,132

I've never seen anyone lose an argument to you...
    Jason ftw fight for no more bullying!
    Knears on the other hand this suggestion is downright dumb and will never ever ever happen so why even try.

14. D0rc

D0rc Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +110
    Warning: Huge post incoming. Put it in spoilers to stop it from taking up a huge portion of this page.

Get off the internet? Seriously?
    Telling someone to get off the internet because they can't handle the cyber bullying is like telling someone to end their life because they can't handle the IRL bullying: (Although you likely didn't mean it that way, which I understand, but seriously, consider what you're saying before you say it.) Bullying in real life can be just as bad or worse in many circumstances, and getting off the internet might not solve anything in the first place. Instead...why can't we take a more appropriate form of action: Preventing cyber bullying in the first place.
    Also...if my posts got rated "funny" in a trolly way, I can agree...I don't really care personally. Still, I want my positive ratings to actually reflect just that: positive ratings. If I got so many trolly funny ratings, then how many of my ratings would really be...positive? This is all assuming I cared about ratings - and I do - but I don't care about the amount I get in total, really, I care about the ones on my posts individually. I can know who thought what about my post...but honestly, when I know my post is intended to be funny, chances are, those "like" or "creative" ratings are referring to it's funny-ness. We don't need a funny rating.

Then why don't you just say it was funny in the thread? You don't have to only show your support in ratings. Heck, to some people, it would mean a lot more if you took a few extra seconds to post and show your support that way. Honestly, if anything makes me seriously laugh, I'll like it...there is a reason so many social media websites out there just use "like", it works as a nice substitute for just about any positive thought you can think of.

The amount of people that actually do this kind of thing because of cyber bullying is far greater than the amount of people who do it because of the removal of a single, mostly insignificant feature. You can't make everyone happy, and as such, the goal isn't to do that. I refer you to this:

Although not nearly as serious as the example you mentioned, (or at least I hope that's an "example".) there are still multiple instances of this for the funny rating being existent, not just one person...and there would be many more, whereas the amount of people who care about it being gone will never go up. Just because you don't personally take offense to such trolling actions, it doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't either - you don't know their past, you don't know anything about what makes them so sensitive to it, and to say they should just suck it up and deal with it can also be hurtful. Trust me, that's a lot harder for some people than others... I'll say it again: Is taking your time to say something is funny within a thread post or rating it "like" or "creative" instead really that much effort that we should make more and more people upset like this? It's not about how you personally take offense to it, it's for the general good of everyone, and especially the server.

That's another thing entirely...do you honestly think arguing it should come back would really make it come back? The interests of the administration wouldn't just let people from ECC "get off the internet" because they can't handle it. It loses them potential donators, users, etc...how is that in ECC's best interest? How is it in ECC's best interest to deal with the complaints/flame wars that would come up because of it? Sure, maybe after many of the potential instigators are dealt with, it would be easier...but it would still come up occasionally, and dealing with it would just cause too many problems. We already know there has been problems, and we all know it would continue at least from time to time...why would ECC's staff let it? From their point of view, there would never be an argument to let it back in, so why argue otherwise? In fact, why am I arguing in the first place? I dunno, I guess I just feel like the problem isn't solved until it's drilled into everyones head that it won't change...I'm not the best example myself of preventing arguments, but that's besides the point.

Well, you made a post saying it was funny. Isn't that good enough? Is that tiny bit of extra satisfaction you get from the rating really worth it for all the trouble it will, and already has, caused?

Read above.

Again, read above. The complaints only make the problem worse. That one complaint, that would inevitably come up, is already far more effort on the staff than simply removing the feature, and this is just assuming one complaint. Before it's removal, there had already been several - and this isn't even counting all the unnecessary discussions about it in threads like staff apps and ban appeals/complaints. This is also only including the effort the staff have to deal with it - what about all the upset people? They'll still be upset about the whole thing...

If only it were as simple as people leaving when "the kitchen got hot" and forgetting about the whole thing. That phrase is supposed to be advice, and although smart advice to take, it's asking a lot for everyone to just accept it and all issues to be solved. Other forms of action must be taken. Getting a hundred people to do one thing that human instinct tells them not to do when just one acting up could just cause the whole outburst again is about as likely to happen as winning a big lottery.

Exactly.
    First, someone will get a funny rating on something and decide "I should make a complaint about it and see if they get banned!" when it was actually a legitimate rating. Now, the staff have a mess to deal with - not everyone can agree with what's funny. As an example: One person might think a racist joke is hilarious, the next might be seriously offended by it. (Racist jokes would get you in trouble for other reasons, this is just an example.) In fact, a funny rating on a racist joke post would actually be seriously hard to tell if it's trolling or not. Not only would whatever action the staff takes be frowned upon by several people out there, but an unnecessary amount of problems between the users can arise at times.

...I don't even know where to begin with that.

Ever heard of examples? ._. Again, my racist joke situation wouldn't exactly happen that way, as racism is already another problem, but forgetting that, it's still entirely valid. Same story here, if he had just said "funny" instead of "creative", it would have made a bit more sense, but that doesn't make his point moot by any means just because he didn't say funny.

I wish people could, I really do, but I have a better understanding of people than that. That's a dream that sadly couldn't really come true. If only...in this world, even the action of asking certain people that it doesn't matter could be taken offensively, after all, you don't know the true reasons behind why someone can't ignore it...aside from human nature that says we must put attention to it, and at times, for good reason.

Again, if only it were this easy. Kuke's statement is entirely true: For his statement, it is that easy, as not being able to use the funny option is something that people won't care about too much anymore a week or two from now, but the funny rating problem is something some people can't ignore, sadly, and if we kept it, it would continue being a problem for a long time.

Well, yes, maybe they will...but maybe they won't.

The simple action of rating something funny is so easy; it's just a click after all. However, to actually write stuff out can not only be far, far easier for the staff to deal with, but it requires much more effort on the side of the person who wants to "troll". There are far less misunderstandings this way and less problems to deal with in the first place, even if the number only changes a little bit. Trust me, it's entirely worth it for such a small loss of one type of rating.

It would have been better if it could be removed from only select sections, but that wouldn't have stopped it's abuse. Even if it's abuse was magically completely stopped, it still isn't possible. As was said later in this thread, Andrew was not able to remove it's use in specific sections.

Are people still making a big deal about the loss of 20-30 ratings? I doubt it. How long would people have made a big deal about the abuse of the rating? Quite a long time. As long as people kept abusing it, it would have kept happening, and the abuse would never completely stop.
    Everyone lost ratings on the forums because of this. Sure, for some, it's more than others, but the difference in percentages is still mostly unchanged. People are still technically just as "popular" as before, at least for the most part. Honestly, if people are freaking out about the loss of only 20-30, just be glad it was removed now and not a year from now when those numbers would be in the hundreds for some...some people losing a tiny bit of forum fame that most people don't care to look at aside from themselves isn't a big cost for the problems that won't happen again. (No offense to anyone, there, but honestly, how often do many of you look at someone elses profile just to see how many ratings they have?)

Honestly, if it's all about the number, then why don't you list at least 12 it should come back? Quality over quantity. Even if you could come up with a thousand unique reasons for it to be brought back, that doesn't mean it should be brought back.

Read everything I said above, it pretty much covers my thoughts on everything you just said. (Especially read the part about saying someone shouldn't be on the internet.)

TL;DR: It would be hard to explain everything I said in short. lol. (I guess I can at least say that I believe the rating shouldn't ever come back.)

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. RyanBlocks2

RyanBlocks2 EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +946
    Very well, D0rc has convinced me that the funny rating should not return.

It seems I have not had enough consideration for how the funny rating affects others because some people cannot just blow it off as others.

16. D0rc

D0rc Builder

Ratings:
    +110
    Just as a side note:
    I hope I didn't offend you in any way, I just wanted to get my point across. Although I can understand why it could offend you, considering the amount of times I replied specifically to your comments.

17. D0rc

D0rc Builder

Ratings:
    +110
    Darn it, I can't edit posts. I just get this white blank screen when I try. Xenforo bugs. ._.
    I was going to word a few things in my giant rant a bit more appropriately, (Particularly the beginning, as I feel I was a bit harsh with the way I said it, considering the topic.) but it appears I am unable to. >.>

18. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    Yes sadly D0rc the only person you've offended is me.

For the mean reason that, I didn't get around to posting something like that before you.

Aka, you pwned my debate that I was floundering at with something I could have done.

*facepalm*

Anyway, thanks for cutting it off instead of leaving me to flounder around :p

19. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    You bring tears to my eyes shane, I have waited all my life to hear that.

20. 12345shane

12345shane ρяєѕι∂єитιαℓ ρяαєтσя
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,132
    And I simply say it was funny and rate it "creative" because if it's funny, it should be creative.
    Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.