Accepted [Suggestion] Ban Reasons

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by cdlawrence, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdlawrence

cdlawrence Nubby Nubs
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +273
    Suggestion: Allow the announcing of a ban reason in chat.

Reason: We have moved on from the blackout of even talking about banned users now we should remove the problem with the why or even possibility of lies being spread. Allow a ban reason to be cited however keep the ongoing discussion of the reason banned to prevent the worried about flame wars or whatever other reason its been illegal to talk about banned players. If a player is banned for scamming, allow that to be said in chat, if for language, xray, ect allow the reason to be said and then end it at that.

Players felt it was absurd to not be allowed to even say a banned users name and now it seems absurd not to be able to say why they are banned. in my opinion it creates more drama keeping it secret.

2. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    Plus, ban appeals are public, so it’s not like we will find out eventually

#2 Jdawger, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  3. padsen

padsen Glory to Arstotzka!
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,643
    This, +1, also, Personally if I were to get banned I wouldn't care if people knew why.

4. 12345shane

12345shane ρяєѕι∂єитιαℓ ρяαєтσя
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,132
    Yeah, I never really understood why ban reasons had to be kept secret. Is it because it embarrasses users or because it's not nice? If that's the case then I'd just say they shouldn't have got banned in the first place. Besides, it's not like people don't find out eventually, so why does it matter if ban reasons can be discussed or not.

5. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    imo just allow ban reasons to be mentioned/told privately. You can't really avoid the issues once they're in global though.

6. KMaxwell

KMaxwell Crazy Cat Lady that Crochets
    EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,614
    If a user was banned because of a complaint, that information is already public. Why do we have to talk about it?
    If the ban wasn't because of a complaint, but there is an appeal, that information is already public. Why do we have to talk about it?
    There are some ban reasons where an appeal can only be submitted to administration privately. Why do we have to talk about it?

I get knowing that someone is banned, or why they are banned, is of great interest because of the rule(s) making the discussion of such things not for public conversation... but why do we have to talk about it at all? A ban is a ban, an appeal an appeal... and while it is an action committed by that user, if all we do is talk about it, they may not be able to move past it and become better members of ECC.

7. JamieSinn

JamieSinn Retired Lead Administrator/Developer
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,588
    This.

I see no reason to have them except to start drama.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  8. lambiser

lambiser Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +906
    Nice way to say ban reason:
    [​IMG]

9. cdlawrence

cdlawrence Nubby Nubs

Ratings:
    +273
    It starts more drama when fake reasons come up. Also ‘private type’ appeals or things people haven’t appealed are not public.

I honestly see more drama in staff pointing something out by yelling about it than letting someone say they are banned for xyz and move on.

10. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    I mean, you said it though. Fake reasons start drama, and if discussion is allowed then people can still say fake reasons (especially if there isn't any way to confirm it).

Giving people an option to check if they want but not talk about it seems like the best approach.

11. cdlawrence

cdlawrence Nubby Nubs

Ratings:
    +273
    /seen shows banned or not, im sure it would take coding but that could be something that could show up <username> <offline time> Banned - <reason>

This would require staff to be sure to be diligent with ban reasons however. No more 'GTFO' or 'No' bans (cough andrew cough)
    It does not seem to me to be all that troublesome to allow a staff member to say when prompted <username> was banned for <reason>. end it there. staff doesnt have to announce it if they are busy or dont want to just like /bal and such

12. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6

Ratings:
    +8,058
    Not even, could just be changed to the same permissions mods have.

eh, andrew could still ban how he wants tbh, he's usually pretty up front about what he bans people for anyway.

13. Ladyvamptress

Ladyvamptress Bloodlust Ex-EcoLegend
    ECC Sponsor Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,184
    What starts drama is people sticking their nose where it doesn’t belong. If you need to ask why someone is banned, that means you weren’t involved in the situation and it’s none of your business... and it’s certainly not staff’s place spreading something you have no involvement in.

Yes, it would be nice to know if someone was banned for scamming (if the situation was handled privately) before you loan them money, but as others stated, the majority of that info is out there for you to look up. I’m super nosey and love some good gossip, and as much as I would love to see this happen to kill my own curiousity, I think it’s better to keep it the way things are currently.

#13 Ladyvamptress, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  14. cookiefan8888

cookiefan8888 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +211
    I believe it shows IP when you do /seen with mod perms

15. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,302
    Sure, but they're separate permissions. You can have /seen show ban reasons without showing IP addresses.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,066
    All players will now see bans live as they happen.
    All players will see ban reasons via the /seen command.

Discussion of bans immediately after they happen is allowed in a civil way, however we discourage it as you risk getting in trouble.
    The @Server Admin team and specifically @ClarinetPhoenix will elaborate where needed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.