STOP THE SWEARING!!!!!(how)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FreshSigh, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreshSigh

FreshSigh Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +369
    I know that there is a plug-in that makes it so if somebody says a swearr it changes it to another word.

Ex. If somebody said s**t in global it would change it to shoot and auto tempa ban them. I think this would help the mods greatly and keep people to even TRY swearing knowing they might get banned.

2. MrBubblez98

MrBubblez98 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +131
    Look: $hit

Doesn't work, so many ways to bypass. It has been suggested before, and it got the same response.

3. FreshSigh

FreshSigh Builder

Ratings:
    +369
    U can list things like that in the words it corrects g

4. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    There are thousands of swear words, many different languages and each word can have many many different variations.

5. jwpwns

jwpwns ECC Sponsor
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,628
    Simple if you dont want to hear curse words dont go on the internet lol.

6. MsMoofin

MsMoofin (Don't) Paddle (the) Cow
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +829
    Swear, vulgar language, and chat filters are only logical/useful on tiny servers. Large servers have enough users that it would be absolutely impossible to set filters for all the variants and variables of vulgar language and swears.

7. Nelsin

Nelsin Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +175
    Well that breaks another rule different languages. Local swearing is not as bad

8. Revanrose6

Revanrose6 Sith Lord
    ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,306
    Might I also point out that some of these chat filters have problems. For example if you were to write shittake mushroom or assassin or any other word containing a curse word, those words could also be blocked out. The word itself is a normal word and yet due to the containing of a curse word it might block it to say ****take mushroom or ******in.

Therefore, I say the current system works.

9. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    I'm afraid I simply can't understand people who say that there are too many variations to block them all...

It sounds to me more a lack of work ethic and general laziness. According to the laws of probability, math, and linguistics there is a limited number of variations. Yes, there is a good number, yes, you can block them all. No one said it wouldn't take a while, but every single time you hear someone bypass it, just msg Andrew/Sky and have them add that word.

I bet if staff sat down they could easily brainstorm a few hundred words/variations. It's extremely simple.

And faulty filters that would block works like "assassin" could easily easily be tweaked. It's a matter of code.

I really, no really, listen to me here, I seriously really cannot physically, mentally, or emotionally understand why you would think this is impossible. Despite all my years of schooling I cannot get my brain around this thought.

Take a look at science, 18,000 new species of life are found on Earth every year. Each one unknown to science beforehand. They are growing closer and closer to finding every single type of life on Earth. Don't tell me we can't do the same with swearwords.

10. Delucaco

Delucaco Station 64 Swag
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +358
    This would take countless hours for our staff team, and taking time out of Andrew's and Sky's days that could be put to better use, whether it be donations, applications or thinking of new ideas for the server. All for what? So that a couple of kids don't have to hear a curse word or two on the internet? If you're looking for a cursing-free server i'm sure that there is one out there, but for one of the biggest servers out there, it is not likely to happen.

11. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    Better use? Better use? Really? There are some people that would hold blocking swearwords a bigger priority then most of the things you listed.

And how would ECC being a bigger server really matter in the area of chat filters? If anything big servers should have them more then small ones. If anything ECC would have the easiest time adding one of these filters with all the staff, players, and hardware.

We have no current system. It's just mods watching chat.

12. Lee1104

Lee1104 Builder

Ratings:
    +322
    And thats our system. If this happened, people would just type with shift+number symbols.

13. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    And then we would block it.

It's really simple. Someone bypasses, we block, they bypass, we block. They will run of bypasses, we will never run out of blocks.

It will get rid of tons of clutter, and help staff out a ton.

14. rockboy2000

rockboy2000 Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +310
    You say it will help staff but I see it as simply adding more work for them to do. Personally I don't think swearing is the biggest of problems in most chats other than local spawn. Some so called "swear" words aren't so bad when used in certain contexts. You only need to think of one swear word to come up with perhaps 20 different variations.

The idea is that the mods make it clear to people that this server should be suitable for all ages and so no inappropriate language is to be used. By simply hiding it, at most you make these people want to swear more. The idea of blocking it once said does not achieve what the goal is, as from what I understand you don't want the younger members to hear this language, but once it is said it is too late.

15. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    In the long run it will save staff tons and tons of time. Imagine what it would be like if Andrew had added this two years ago. Lets assume he did add it 2 years ago. By now staff never have to really look for swearwords, because 99.9% have been gotten and blocked. In the first 6 or so months staff were configuring it would take very very little work. After that, you eliminate almost all need to view chat for swearing = less work in the long run.

And it's a good thing I can think of 20 variations, because when staff sits down to add the filter the first time, they'll think of like 30, not just add one word and wait for players to swear other variations, but add as many variations as they can think of first.

You say once it's said it's too late, in that case, lets make sure it never happens again, so it'll never cause future people to hear it.

16. jwpwns

jwpwns ECC Sponsor
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,628
    Like i said before if you do not like to hear curse words ever once and a while dont play on the internet yes we can block some but making a whole system/plugin for it i really dont think its worth it at all.

#16 jwpwns, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  17. iSneaky

iSneaky This is a local server for local people
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VI ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,256
    Although swearing does not bother me at all Jason still has a great point. Why don't we just come up with a list with variations of cuss words then implement them, yes this may take some time but it will aid the staff in the long run and users will not have to be offended by the cussing

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

18. The_Tailor

The_Tailor Builder

Ratings:
    +226
    I think staff are out to get us, they wanna get us banned, so not adding this just gives them more ways to ban us, which makes more ban appeals, which makes more complaints, which makes more work, when a simple plugin would statisfy that. I say +1, its not hard to look up swear words then add them to the plugin this way they get filtered. This plugin is actually used on bigger servers, so i dont know where you get its only used on small servers, bigger servers=more people which means a good amount of staff but if you have 300 people you cant always watch chat. So thats why i think this would be a good addition to ecc, but as again all the staff diss these suggestions because they wanna ban us, and have mor e complaints and ban appeals to handle so their loss.

19. Lee1104

Lee1104 Builder

Ratings:
    +322
    Just because you may get banned several times doesnt mean that staff members want to ban you. They are simply doing their jobs by enforcing the rules.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. iSneaky

iSneaky This is a local server for local people
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VI ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,256
    Are you serious....staff members punish those who deserve it......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.