Denied New spawn

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GeorgiaMC, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lambiser

lambiser Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +906
    Spawn is kind of fun though-I once found four netherstars in it. I find it fun to go around and see the history of ECC in the form of building, but I’m weird like that. :p I would hate for spawn to go away, but I do admit that the original spawn place is a bit too much. (I.E. the place with the portals, but to be honest, I’m just sensitive to bright objects)

#21 lambiser, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. Mcguy65

Mcguy65 Dirt
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +631
    Comes back after months of inactivity and shits on the new spawn.. get out of here dude. Lets see your new design? I am very curious how it turned out..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
    #22 Mcguy65, Jan 8, 2018
  3. lambiser

lambiser Builder

Ratings:
    +906
    To clarify more, I think spawn is extremely fun to go around and overall just see how gorgeous it is. That’s the first things some builders do, beside the tutorial. And you don’t need fly to see things-it’s spawn, mostly for portal use. So why are we dissing it? Even if this gets accepted, who is going to want to spend their time making a huge spawn that will fit each and every persons needs and wants? The player base is already dead. No offense y’all, but maybe it’s not spawn that’s affecting our community.........

4. zjkhan

zjkhan Arridian Emperor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $917,943
    Ratings:
    +654
    @jmichael214 I'm not going to quote the post because its long, so here's your tag.

I think what you said was a little bit harsh. Nobody was trying to make it seem like the work you put into the spawn was nothing. I know how much work you put into that spawn. I've been at the centre of a lot of big spawn projects and they do take weeks to do, so don't think I'm coming at this without some experience. A lot of what was said is valid, even if some of the comments were a tad insensitive. The spawn you've created is truly magnificent, but I think one of the main problems is it's just too big. This, of course, isn't exactly your fault. It won the competition fair and square and we are truly better off with your new spawn than what we had prior. But if we could perhaps revamp a few parts of it, namely the shop, I think it would be a whole lot better. There's a lot of whats good with your spawn so I don't want you to take any offence personally to whatever's being said in this thread, its mostly going to be constructive criticism.
    I felt like I needed to say this because as a builder myself (not nearly as good as you), I understand sometimes you don't like your work being criticised by people who clearly don't know the kind of work goes into it, and you looked a little salty, so don't mind me saying this :p.

5. GeorgiaMC

GeorgiaMC Former Server Admin
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,975
    Ok so I don't think I have been completely out of order by stating that I see a few flaws in the current spawn, and by no means am I 'shitting on it'. Also, I quite frankly have no idea what me not being active so much had to do with anything? Am I not allowed to state my opinion now? All I've said is that the spawn shop is the main problem, and many other players including jmichael have expressed this too.

So please, if you don't have anything constructive or useful to say, and you're just going to talk shit about me, don't bother commenting.

#25 GeorgiaMC, Jan 8, 2018
  6. Mcguy65

Mcguy65 Dirt

Ratings:
    +631
    Alright then rebuild the shop? Rebuild what you want changed and make it better! I am sure you would have better luck.

7. dgam02

dgam02 ♫ Shitposting Ex-SA ♫
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,377
    World edit mirroring isn't hard considering the pretty linear and somewhat blocky/squarish design of most of the spawn structures. Helped DD build her spawn with world edit and I've done a number of other personal projects as well as helped with other friends' builds so I don't see how this reveals a lack of knowledge as I'm quite familiar with both building and world edit but you're entitled to your own opinion.

I apologize for offending you and underestimating the work you put into your spawn, was not looking to attack you personally at all, but frankly the structures in spawn don't look difficult to mirror at all with the use of world edit hence why I gave my opinion. The effort you've put into the spawn hasn't gone unnoticed and I as well as many other players appreciate your commitment to the server.

8. jmichael214

jmichael214 Back Again, Apparently
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    Oh, I was totally salty. Worldedit, my butt. ;)

9. zjkhan

zjkhan Arridian Emperor

EcoDollars:
    $917,943
    Ratings:
    +654
    Lmao world editing something like that would be so irritating i'd just build it by hand anyway

10. jmichael214

jmichael214 Back Again, Apparently
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    I don't know what that is, let alone how to do it. I'm really pretty inept when it comes to technology.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. zjkhan

zjkhan Arridian Emperor

EcoDollars:
    $917,943
    Ratings:
    +654
    when you build half of your build, copy it, then paste it after you've reversed it on the other side.

12. Scamazon

Scamazon monkey
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,157
    What about the mod office :cry:
    +1 If we can put a mod office in the next spawn.

13. GeorgiaMC

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,975
    Ok so first off, when I said 'hours' I didn't mean to say it would only take hours to build a new spawn, I just used that to convey that it takes a very long time, but thinking back now, a better word choice would have been something more like weeks or months. I know that building something of this scale would take that long, and I of course know that no one could build anything that huge in mere hours, and yea I should've worded that better.

I honestly do appreciate how long something like that would take you, I do have experience with large scale builds such as yours, as I am currently working on my town, which is to be the centre town of a 3x3 set of towns, and I'm no where near half-way done, and I've been working on it on and off for the past 2 years so I do know and appreciate how much hard work goes into a project this big.

With the old shops, I just used the /warp commands to get to each specific one quickly and I think that the fact that the rooms were smaller in size allowed you to scan quicker to find what you were looking for, however they were still far from being a good design.

Which leads me onto my next point of the fact that I agree that @OlympiansAreGods is one of the only ones who actually made a positive suggestion towards this thread, by not just stating that he agrees or disagrees but by actually saying how he thinks it could be improved and giving ideas. And I really like the idea he proposed and think it would make a great addition to spawn.

As to this, I didn't say the whole spawn looks like world edit, and as you have said yourself it's very symmetrical, and I know you can't world edit something like what you've built, but I get that aspects may have used world edit, just like any other person who submitted a submission will have used it too, rather than copying patterns by hand over and over again, so that they could get the project done in time, as if I recall correctly, the time frame given wasn't too long. When I said about the 'repetitive style of building' I was in term describing the symmetry. And I'm not too sure how to word this, but I think that your orderly and symmetrical style of building could also be described as repetitive (Not in a bad way, but that's just how symmetry makes it look)

Finally, I'd like to say that I have attempted a few big builds, although they weren't spawns, after a couple of weeks I always find myself doubting that I'll ever finish it and wondering why I started it, so I do understand how hard it is to persevere with a project this large. I actually stopped playing about this time last year, and only started playing again about a week ago, purely because I want to finish the build I started almost 2 years ago now because of how rewarding it will feel once it's completed. I'd also just like to apologise if any of my comments were viewed by you as insensitive or insulting, although I probably did come across as so at some point on this thread, I did not intend for anything to be taken this way whatsoever, so I'm sorry if it seemed that way.

(Also sorry if I rambled on quite a bit or repeated myself in this reply, currently 3am, I'm tired and I should probably go to sleep sometime soon.)

#33 GeorgiaMC, Jan 8, 2018
  14. 12345shane

12345shane ρяєѕι∂єитιαℓ ρяαєтσя
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,132
    The purpose of suggestions is to request that something be changed, not asking to change it by yourself. Seems quite counter-intuitive to tell people to have ready-made solutions before people even give enough feedback or it's even accepted. I think it's a terrible argument to tell people "well why don't you do it then!" That's like saying if you don't like how a country is run, go for president. It's perfectly reasonable to ask for change, and it's completely unreasonable to ask a person to have a solution ready especially when if they are incapable of it, because as jmichael said himself, most exceptional builders would give up halfway and ask why they started in the first place. If this suggestion were accepted and another competition implemented, there would be incentive to participate, and there would be multiple designs to choose from different people that voluntarily built spawns. When eekelmo suggested a new spawn, which became the current spawn today, would you have told him to have a new one built already? Who cares if a person comes back after months - in my opinion that just means they notice the problems quicker because they haven't been around enough to become sensitized to the change. You don't need to be rude simply because a person suggests a change.

15. PlatinumPurple

PlatinumPurple Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +1,314
    +1

I am all for innovation and improving the quality of the spawn area.
    As @GeorgiaMC stated above, the current spawn is inaccessible and confusing for new players. Even though lots of effort and time was put into developing the spawn area, I'm completely confident in the fact that those who want to pitch in, will find some way to help. Even if it is one builder, or a group of people building and crowdsourcing their ideas, something as big as making the spawn area more efficient should be focused in on sooner rather than later. Whether it takes a short or long while to plan and build, I think that it is a worthy investment of time.
    Something smaller, accessible, more homey, and eye-catching would be neat! :)

16. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    ...how can a suggestion even be accepted if there isn't a solution? If there isn't a solution proposed than there isn't even a way to implement the suggestion and it can't be accepted. Sure, even if it isn't "ready-made" it still needs to have some thought. "I don't like this" isn't helpful, "this would be better" is.

Getting involved in the process is exactly what you should do though. And in the subject, outside of binary options, any sort of movement needs an actual goal. "Not this" isn't a goal when there's no alternative proposed!

I could support this suggestion because spawn could be better. However spawn could always be better, and agreeing to change it before knowing what I'm agreeing to change it to is as easily a step backward as it is one forward.

As an aside I find it hilarious everyone is complaining it's "confusing for new players"... The only bad part is the server shops which new players literally can't navigate right off the bat even if they want to since they have no money. Everything else consists of walking through giant portals that are clearly labelled.

17. lambiser

lambiser Builder

Ratings:
    +906
    I guess we are all surprised that this is the first thing you do when you came back to ECC. (In forums, at least) But the problem is going to be, as I said in one of my posts, finding someone to do the build. And the staff is already swamped with work...Cough skyblock Cough

18. Mcguy65

Mcguy65 Dirt

Ratings:
    +631
    Lol.

19. GeorgiaMC

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,975
    Once again, I don't see that it matters much that I've only just returned to play ECC again recently, so can someone please explain why this keeps being bought up. I logged on had a look around what to me is a spawn that I haven't seen much of and just noticed some things, mainly speaking, the shop.

I made this suggestion, not to put anyone down in any way, but to make a suggestion that I believe will change spawn for the better, with the spawn shop being something that is a problem for players, new and old; and I think that everyone who has replied constructively has seen this as the main issue too, so I'm not the only one who feels this way.

As to your second point, it wouldn't be the staffs job to create this new part of spawn, and by no means was I saying it should be, I understand that they are all busy. I know that many of the people who have replied here build themselves so we could all get involved somehow to create a new shop for spawn. But obviously jmichael is the one who originally built the spawn, and as he mentioned earlier he intended to build the shop to look like something that Olympians suggested, however he got sidetracked, and I think that is he is interested, he could maybe redesign the shop as what he envisioned when he first started the project. Of course I am not saying he must, and I would be more than happy to give it a go myself, as I'm sure many other people would, but I think @jmichael214 should have that opportunity himself before anyone else.

20. lambiser

lambiser Builder

Ratings:
    +906
    Concerning your first point, I was just surprised this was the first thing you did. Not that it’s bad or wrong, and I just assume you are very dedicated about ECC and the quality of playing. I haven’t seen much of that lately! So kudos to you!! :)
    As for your second point, I do believe we can all make a new spawn together, which would be fun. And I agree, @jmichael214 should have that opportunity. The player base may be dying, but I do think that a new spawn project would be fun and increase player count. I’m just worried something is going to happen, like a new game mode, ect that will cause everyone to loose focus. But I do trust that someone like you could organize it! I’m just worried about what may happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.