Denied [Network Wide Suggestion] Ease up on the chat restriction

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ElricBellamy, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElricBellamy

ElricBellamy Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +55
    In Game Name:
    ElricBellamy
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    Network Wide
    Short title for your suggestion:
    Ease up on the chat restriction
    What are you suggesting:
    I would like to see the level of restriction on chat reduced, as chat is currently, and always has been heavily restricted to the point where people are not able to talk like a normal human. You currently have to step on your own toes trying to not break chat related rules, and no banter above the basic "Hi" "How's the weather in X country today" is allowed. I understand a lot of people perhaps can't handle certain words, though I don't see the reasoning. While there is no point in choosing to be offended, I can understand regulation of a couple words.
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    I believe that with freed up chat, there would be more conversation and people would all around enjoy ECC more without having to dance around being passive-aggressive or talk complete gibberish just to stay within the bounds of the current rules.
    Other information:
    I slightly understand, though do not support the banning of some words, such as "racial slurs", and "strong homosexual slurs". However, words like stupid, retarded, autistic, gay, etc. (Generally things used in normal discourse, which are disallowed should be allowed( Being offended by words is simply a waste of everyone's time, and I am asking for this one simple request. ( I have an autistic step-brother so don't even hit me with that shit. )))
    Plugin or custom addition:

One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Potato Potato x 3
    • List
    #1 ElricBellamy, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  2. LaggyTryHard

LaggyTryHard ♛Exalted Builder♛
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +964
    i feel like there was a suggestion for a mature channel once upon a time. it either was rejected or not looked at
    you can also talk more freely in ch l or whisper

#2 LaggyTryHard, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  3. ElricBellamy

ElricBellamy Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +55
    I prefer to talk to the community at large, as I said this is something for main chat channels, such as discord, global, etc. I know there are was to talk to individuals normally, that is not what I am I after. I am interested in talking normally to everyone.

4. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    I mean, maybe VIP can be less restricted, but not global

• Like Like x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  5. strongpelt

strongpelt ~*Alaskan Sponsor*~
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,065
    I have not once used retarded or autistic in normal conversation before... Dont think I ever will.

Didnt know stupid was disallowed? I've said things were stupid a lot before. Never got told off.

As far as gay... I thought it was dependent on the context. So like mentioning it as something vs using it as an insult. Might have changed though, I havent been on much.

Dont really see a change needed... I've had perfectly normal conversations without using those words before. Easily.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  6. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,290
    There are many of us in the community at large that would prefer to not have to deal with this type of conversation so feel free to take it to /ch l or even VIP is much more relaxed and allows more freedom.
    And what you are suggesting is not talking normally to everyone...at all. I personally don't use the terms you refer to in any of my normal day to day conversations.
    One last thing in regards to this, the chat has went thru many changes over the years and there is no doubt that any time there has been any relaxation of strictness and enforcement, the chat gets so toxic as to not be tolerable.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  7. ElricBellamy

ElricBellamy Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +55
    You are getting caught up in the specifics here, I was giving some basic examples.

Again, I do not wish to be restricted to local or vip, and even then it is still moderated. Personally, 95%+ of the people I know use these terms and others on a daily basis. You are also getting caught up in the details, refer to the above reply. I've been here since one of the first to months of 2012, chat as more or less stayed exactly as it was. There is no such thing as "toxic" chat, getting offended over words is just plain stupid. Relax, take a deep breath and enjoy yourself.

• Potato Potato x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
    #7 ElricBellamy, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  8. crowfeather2001

crowfeather2001 Resident
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

EcoDollars:
    $640,397
    Ratings:
    +237
    Elric, since I became staff, (I got staff in May), the language and or chat restrictions have been eased up considerably. There are still certain things we do not allow, but how far do you want it to go? Considering almost everything is let slide as long as it's not toxic or directed or just flat out inappropriate, there isn't much more that can be let up on here. As @AdmiralD has previously told you there is /ch VIP for political and more serious conversations and /ch l and /pm for any other conversation you may feel the need to have.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  9. ElricBellamy

ElricBellamy Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +55

Please elaborate on the eased up restrictions, as I am not seeing them. I'm trying to be very "reasonable" here in that I am not requesting the ability to use racial terms or use the f word in regards to the homosexual individuals. The issue which presents itself in regards to how I see it, and at least what would seem to be three others so far is the definition of "toxic" or "inappropriate". As the way I see it, language can in no way be toxic, and only some language is inappropriate when and only when children are actively around. Again, being "reasonable" I am not request the aforementioned words be allowed, or that which I have no interest in chat of an adult nature. It is certainly possible to "let up on" chat restriction entirely, which is a number of steps beyond what I have suggested.

Finally, as I have clearly stated numerous times, but evidently to no avail, local and vip chat are still regulated to a degree and I am not interested in those. I will state once again this suggestion is aimed at discord and global chat. I know that I can already talk to people one on one in a relatively unmoderated fashion, that is as stated in the OP not the intention or purpose of this suggestion.

#9 ElricBellamy, Oct 6, 2018
  10. crowfeather2001

crowfeather2001 Resident
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

EcoDollars:
    $640,397
    Ratings:
    +237
    Toxic language would be language that is rude, aggressive and even sometimes sarcastic. And although I am a big supporter of sarcasm, it does have a tendency to inflame conversations. Toxic language is such that can start arguments and or offend someone.

Inappropriate is anything that has to do with sexual references or anything "deemed inappropriate for a workplace" as stated below.

Clause 3 - Inappropriate/Touchy Subjects and Discussions
    • EcoCityCraft is a server community consisting of many age groups, religious groups, and political backgrounds. As such, there are many touchy subjects that we do not allow in our public channels in order to keep the peace and prevent arguments and flame wars from occurring.
    • All chat must be kept appropriate and clean at all times. There is to be no discussion of anything deemed inappropriate for a workplace, including, but not limited to, sexuality, excessive violence, racism, alcohol/drugs and inappropriate or dark humor.
    I believe i cleared this up as much as possible.

11. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo

Ratings:
    +4,290
    Unrestricted chat for you and 95% of your friends is easily solved - utilize Discord, or Skype - neither of which is moderated and take a deep breath and enjoy yourself.
    I come on ECC to play minecraft in a community environment and I am obviously in the 5% of your friends that don't converse that way. Not to mention that my 7 year old granddaughter loves seeing other players and can read quite well what is being said. I really don't want to spend our play time trying to explain what these negative terms mean all the time.
    If @xpurexcorex can spend hours with my granddaughter and I chatting in game and on skype/discord, then anyone should be able to hold those type of conversations :roflmao:.
    He will be the first to tell you that our conversations when she is not here are different than when she is. And even with that, we still don't use the "details" that you brought up.
    While I appreciate your opinion, I must still disagree with it, so I will relax now :p

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  12. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    I agree with @crow_feather that chat has been eased dramatically over the months. The only stuff that really cannot be said is the words and phrases that are/can be offensive. I feel this suggestion is just an attempt to say these phrases and not get in trouble, not to make chat easier on everyone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  13. strongpelt

Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Were you around at all during the 'anything goes' in VIP chat? That was a bloody nightmare. Users have shown that when given complete freedom, they will take things way too far. At least some will anyways.

Examples should help prove your point on why something needs to be changed. So please provide me some actual examples then.

As far as I'm concerned, the only time I see chat having to get restricted is when a childish fight breaks out and everyones calling eachother everything under the sun.

Are the 95% of your friends young teenagers? Cause those are really the only group I know of that might struggle with not saying some 'offensive' words. There are so many great words that can take the place of words above that you mentioned. As long as your not directing language it should be okay to use them too.

If your trying to get directed language allowed... Haha no. I don't need to be back in a highschool lunch situation.

Your best chance here of getting something like this passed is if we got a pvp server. Because that's another place I see people struggle with following chat rules, because they are angry and cant think of much else to say.

I await more examples.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  14. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,380
    This.

I'm not really keen on changing the restrictions on chat because you've been told not to say a few edgy things. Which is the vibe I'm getting here.

Give us some examples of things you could be saying "as a normal human being" that we haven't been allowing and we can have a discussion on whether its necessary to allow it.
    The words you stated in your post are not necessarily banned, however I do not see why they should be allowed to be used in a derogatory manner as "normal conversation".
    For example, saying "that's autistic" isn't something I feel one would say in normal conversation. You're basically saying "that's stupid" but in a much more offensive manner, which instead of using a socially acceptable word for something you find less than optimal, you are choosing to use a name used to refer to human disabilities.
    The same goes for "gay", attaching it to something in a derogatory manner makes the adjective negative and implies that it is a bad thing either way, "gay" can be used normally and it is already within the rules to use normally, but not in a derogatory manner.
    "Retarded" has the same implications as "autistic" but its more or less common but its still quite rude, which is also why it is not allowed in certain, and in general most context.

Whats wrong with just using "that's stupid" ? Which is actually perfectly ok, unless you're being extremely rude to another user.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #14 ClarinetPhoenix, Oct 6, 2018
  15. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo

Ratings:
    +4,290
    After reading our staff (and previous staff) responses, I have to wonder what exactly is the problem? I know that we have had overzealous and somewhat more intolerant staff at times (and I am sure we will have again). But lately it seems that overall chat has been extremely well handled and while it will never be perfect for everyone, I do appreciate the decisions they have to make on a daily basis.
    I do know that Clar spent many hours developing the guidelines and our staff seems to understand and are able to enforce them quite well.
    Even when Lily is playing I can usually ignore the occasional slip (as allowed by these guidelines), however, the problem is always when if becomes escalated and the hate speech between players is overwhelming and then usually total disrespect for our staff who are only trying to provide a safe community for all players.
    I have not had to leave general chat for a very long time - especially since Clar worked so hard on the new guidelines.

16. ElricBellamy

ElricBellamy Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +55
    While we agree on inappropriate involving sexual shit, as I previously stated I personally disagree with the rest. However, I wasn't asking for any of that to be added, so that is fine I guess as is. Now for "Toxic" language, it doesn't exist...really. It is too objective and an all around stupid label for butthurt people to use as a censorship tool.

I wasn't speaking about EcoCityCraft when I said 95% of the people I know. However, when I said multiple times that I am not concerned with Discord pms, Skype pms, local chat, pms in-game, etc. This is about discord and global chat on the game. I also already stated that some of this language should not be used around children, congratulations. Just because you don't use some of these terms, which I have stated weren't all of the terms doesn't mean that many others don't use them. Easy to support censorship when it doesn't affect you.

Offensive is highly subjective, nobody has the right to not be offended. In life you will be offended, should you choose to be. Through being allowed to say these phrases, and others when it is called for, not only does the person not get in trouble, but they can enjoy chatting more freely without worrying about it. Censorship isn't cool.

I believe I was here when the "somewhat anything goes" VIP chat was here. If issues are caused by certain individuals, they should be punished, not the community as a whole. I DID provide some examples, however I did not wish to create a large list of specific words so I made a smaller one. I regularly see chat getting restricted for stupid reasons, occasionally arguments break out and they are not all bad, however some should perhaps be directed to pms, especially if children are around.

No, none of my friends are young teenagers. However, some are teenagers. I'm 19, I've got friends from 17 and above, plenty of 20s-30s. Words, per se can't be offensive. They are sounds made, or symbols typed/written. They are a "social construct" lmao. Really though, there is no reason to make a fit over something someone said. Just because you don't use the words doesn't mean many others don't.

I'm not trying to get directed language allowed, as it is nowhere in my suggestion. While there is a time and place, I agree it is not inside ECC itself. One does not have to be "angry" to use any of the language suggested, etc. You assert that it's bad and, essentially makes you stupid to say some of the things and I would disagree. As I said, I am not interested in creating a long list of specific words, I've already given you a small list containing a few words. I am trying to be "reasonable" in not asking for completely unrestricted chat. However, if such a suggestion would arise I would whole-heartedly support it, even if the present constituency prefers censorship.

Nobody so far has given any specific examples of how chat as become less restricted than before, hopefully someone will give me some.

I'm not doing this simply because over the years I have been banned/given warnings for my speech, but because it is incredibly painful in the situation to self-censor, simply to not get in trouble, as eventually with enough warnings/issues it would most likely result in a ban. Some people speak of things I don't like, however you don't see me here asking for them to be censored. All I am asking is to allow moderate language to be used.

This conversation is, quite frankly "stupid". There is never a reason to get offended over language, unless it is in regards to specific examples which are not constitutionally allowed. (Disclaimer: I wholly realize that not everyone is from the United States) Just because you happen to not like it does not mean the other people should not be allowed to say it.

I have already stated many times what the problem is, people are being censored and they don't like it. It takes away from the experience of playing on ECC. The idea of "hatespeech" is laughable, it does not exist. It is a thin guise used to censor people. Good intentions don't always bring about good results. I am here because not only am I not able to speak freely, but I clearly disagree with the rules regarding chat.

17. LaggyTryHard

LaggyTryHard ♛Exalted Builder♛
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +964
    I'm actually a fan of no censorship but for this reason I don't think global is the place for it. I'm still gonna stand by the mature channel as it would make more sense. If someone were to join into that specific channel, they would know what they are in for. If such a channel were to exist im sure that quite a few people would use that to talk regularly (might become the new global) while leaving the younger peoples out.

18. strongpelt

Ratings:
    +2,065
    I'm at work, I'll reply to the rest of your response later but...

Before if you said fuck, youd get a warn. The first time. No questions asked. And verbals or warns for things like bitch and shit. Now? As long as you dont direct it or spam your just fine.

• List
  19. ElricBellamy

ElricBellamy Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +55

I'd actually be okay with this, so long as it was actually used as commonly/or close to as commonly as global. However, I don't see that happening. The issue with new channels is that VIP is for the most part a "mature" channel and is for all intensive purposes dead. There is very rarely any conversation there.

Ah, I remember this. However, while I don't have so much anything against words like fuck, bitch, shit, etc. there is not often a time when it comes into play, which is why I didn't list those words. Much more often I'd say "gay", "that's gay", "lol, this is autistic", "damn, that's retarded". It's all the same thing, it's just other words have slightly different meanings to them, making them far more relevent depending on the situation. The intended goal isn't to simply offend someone, it is a "colorful diversity of language". If someone gets offended, that is their choice and sometimes an unintended consequence.

These I'm not potatoing because I see they are more reasonable. I'm not simply potatoing everything I disagree with, though sadly it would have seemed like it as no proper reasoning had been given previously.

#19 ElricBellamy, Oct 6, 2018
  20. strongpelt

Ratings:
    +2,065
    And this is were we differ. A majority of people use these words on ecc, while a small amount use the words you listed.

This is what I meant by give some examples.

The way I see it... is that gay, autistic, and retarded, all have connections to groups of people. While say... that's stupid, isnt grouped to any specific group of people. Never has been used negatively for a group of people before in history ya know? Yeah it's a word, but the history of how a word has been used really does shape it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.