Mining - Best Money Making Strategy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Falconaire, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Falconaire

Falconaire Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +1,416
    I've been mining a lot as of late, and it seems to be very profitable, so today I decided to ask how much other players got from mining. When I stated that you might be able to make 14k+ from mining with a Max Fortune pick, I was quickly told I was way off, and that 9k per hour is more realistic. This seemed to be generally accepted by the players online. Now, I thought this was strange, so I decided to mine for one hour with very little distractions. The results shocked me: I earned $16300.85 in one hour.

So if I can earn 16.3k from one hour of mining with only a Max Fortune Pick, why would I invest in a melon sword, or really do anything besides mine? From what I understand, the most possible you can make from a melon sword is 14k'ish/hour, and I'd have to spend an exuberant price in order to obtain one. Now in addition to this, there's really no way to get more money from a melon sword per hour. Sure, you can make a massive farm and reduce turning time, but that won't make a dramatic difference. With Mining, you can upgrade your McMMo for longer super breaker, buy Water so you can walk over lava pools, use Fly+ to modify your speed and fly around caves, etc. It seems like Mining is such a better deal right now, even without an Eff 7.

I've also included all the information on my mining run in the spoiler below. If you want to know how I did it/what I picked up, check it out. I also have screenshots to prove the mining run, if some feel that my claim of making 16k/hour is false I'll post them, but I'd rather not go through the trouble if I don't have to.

There's a few advantages I have over a vanilla player that makes my mining more efficient. This includes;
    1. Water - Walk over lava pools, sponge annoying currents
    2. Pyro+ - Never have to worry about lava, ability to swim through it
    3. Roughly 700 Mining Skill - 15 sec Super Breaker
    4. Multihome+ - Ability to immediately return to mining shaft when exploring caves/going home
    5. ExtCommands/Creations - No need to wait for repairs, can use /echest so I don't have to go home
    6. MacroMod - Sell all mining ores/blocks with only one key
    Over the one hour period, I managed to collect the following:
    5006 Cobblestone - $250.30
    711 Granite/Diorite/Ansedite - $71.10

59 Dirt - $2.95
    2386 Coal - $2386
    562 Lapis - $2107.50
    2499 Redstone - $3748.50
    372 Iron Ingots - $2790
    130 Gold Ingots - $1300
    76 Diamonds - $1900
    2900 EXP - $1740
    Misc. - $4.95
    Total: $16300.85

Please let me know what you think about this. Personally, I think it shows that farming is a bit underpowered, and while I was never a "buff melons" supporter before, I think reevaluating farming prices might be necessary. What's the point of buying a Star tool if you can get a better result out of something you can buy for 10k?

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    #1 Falconaire, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  2. Exile1999

Exile1999 Ex-OPBuilder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,020
    First of all, there is one reason msword's are arguably better. Your 16k per hour was only with 200+ usd of supporting features, and a 700 mining skill. You can make 13k per hour with msword without any features or any herbalism skill. Therefore, I come to my conclusion: Mining is better for older more experienced players, msword farming is better for less mcmmo level'ed/experienced players. This is just some quick input, i will write more when I have time.

3. BigB_Man

BigB_Man Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +364
    Good Input! :p

4. seba1342

seba1342 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +26
    I enjoy going for an occasional mine down under. I always seem to make a fair bit of money with my eff4, unb3, fort3 pickaxe. With all those features, I can see how 16k is a realistic number; very well done by the way. I make approximately 9k an hour mining, with distractions and only with multihome, which I don't use as I mine.
    I also love seeing what you are able to acquire through the mining trip, so thanks for posting that too!

Questions:
    Will you be saving up for an eff 7?
    Do you think they are a worthy investment?
    Or do you just think that you should leave it at the max fortune?

Regards,

Seba

5. DD71

DD71 Mayor of Nashville
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +591
    I prefer farming because it doesn't require nearly as much effort and because of that, it is more enjoyable because I can do something else while farming. Also, you only did one one-hour test, right? If you wanted to get more accurate results, I'd do a few more tests at different times of the month (because you make more after resets).

6. RazorRimz

RazorRimz Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +646
    Melon farming with absolutely no distractions is 15k/hour. Plus, you don't need as many features or any mcmmo. 1k less is worth no effort. Although, an eff7 is worth it.

#6 RazorRimz, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  7. Exile1999

Exile1999 Ex-OPBuilder

Ratings:
    +1,020
    Wrong. Melon farming is around 14.1k per hour.

8. RazorRimz

RazorRimz Builder

Ratings:
    +646
    I turned off my chat and focused for 1 whole hour and it was 15k. My friend did almost the same and he made 15k/hour as well.

9. Original_Jackson

Original_Jackson ♕ Ecoleader ♕

Ratings:
    +901
    The point of a melon sword is it requires no effort to use, you can mindlessly farm while watching a tv show or movie.

10. Exile1999

Exile1999 Ex-OPBuilder

Ratings:
    +1,020
    If you farm for a small amount of time, such as 1 min, without turning or stopping, and then multiply by 60, you don't get anywhere near there. It is around 14.1k with no ereps, no turning, no ungrown melons, and no eating.

11. Falconaire

Falconaire Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +1,416
    Very true! Depending on what you want though, you could get $150+ worth of features with the same amount of money it took you to buy a melon sword, and there would be comparable results. But I can see where you're coming from with this, thanks for the input, Exil!
    Thanks for your view guys! Mining definitely requires a bit more attention than farming, I'm able to watch chat and interact with the server while I mine, but I can't be virtually afk. Farming is undoubtedly superior in this respect.
    Wow! I'm surprised you managed to make 15k in an hour, that's quite a feat :p! Still though, I'm going to refer back to what I said to Exil, with the money you paid to buy a melon sword you would've been able to afford all donation features necessary to be at least comparable to a melon sword.
    Thanks for the kind words! I've had quite a few Eff 7's in the past (4 or 5, I forget...), and if you are planning on mining frequently, they're without a doubt worth it. With the features I listed in the OP, I could earn 22k+ in one hour of dedicated mining. This was a long time ago, and prices may have changed a bit, but I don't think it'll be much different. If you just intend to use it as an occasional tool, I wouldn't recommend saving up nearly a 750,000 ECD's for it. Better to save up for things you'll be using constantly like ExtCommands+, TP, Water, etc. For this reason I don't think I'll be saving for a new Eff 7 for some time. I'd like to get some more features before I begin looking into a new star tool.

12. seba1342

seba1342 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +26
    Cheers for the advice, I think I will save up for some features as I do not mine frequently.

Regards,

Seba

13. RazorRimz

RazorRimz Builder

Ratings:
    +646
    You're wrong. I've made 15k/hour twice with a melon sword.

14. Exile1999

Exile1999 Ex-OPBuilder

Ratings:
    +1,020
    No your wrong. I've done extensive testing m8. Let me retest. Brb