Melon Price

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TdoggTL, Jun 28, 2013.

1. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    If what you're saying is correct, then I'll go with that and say that the price of pumpkins should indeed be lowered.
    I'm going to need multiple users to confirm this, though.

2. Delucaco

Delucaco Station 64 Swag
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +358
    I still have a few hundred left over from doing this, after I realized I got fly, if you want, you can test on my farm.

3. Capu111025

Capu111025 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️

Ratings:
    +19

Confirm I did it this way.

4. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    Sure, I'll test it when I get in-game, which may be later this evening (my time) or tomorrow evening.

5. TdoggTL

TdoggTL Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $552
    Ratings:
    +532
    I agree. If melons won't be going up, atleast pumpkins need to go down.

#85 TdoggTL, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  6. jvhosmuffin

jvhosmuffin Builder

Ratings:
    +30
    Yep. I can agree with this. Delucaco is absolutely right about 2 things:

1. It is certainly possible to make more money farming pumpkins than farming melons, WITHOUT buying fly, and that means that the cost of tools and the money you make per hour is literally backward.

2. Fly is meant for MANY things other than farming, and it is completely ridiculous to factor it into the costs of pumpkin farming vs. the costs of melon farming. Which, in my opinion, is why melons should be higher in the first place - so that there IS no argument about fly and it's purposes.

So, I propose that if we aren't raising melons, we should drop pumpkins. I think this argument has shifted from a debate about melon swords and their farming rewards, to a debate about pumpkins and the techniques to farming them, and how to get rich off of them.

Let's drop pumpkins to $0.50.

7. jvhosmuffin

jvhosmuffin Builder

Ratings:
    +30
    Oh and kuke, you're just flat out wrong here. Previous to voting rewards and melon prices dropping, the nether star economy was based 95% on the purchase of melon swords. That was what people bought, that's why people bought nether stars. Ask anyone. 19 out of 20 people will agree. You're right, voting rewards certainly added to the drop, and the reason they are low might be 50% voting rewards and 50% melon prices dropping, but "It has absolutely nothing to do with melonswords or melonprices" is just wrong. It used to SOLELY have to do with melonswords and melonprices.

8. MsMoofin

MsMoofin (Don't) Paddle (the) Cow
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +829
    Melonsword prices only had a significant drop once horse eggs became a voting reward and a new, consistent influx of netherstars appeared. Price for melonswords didn't do much of a drop when melon prices went down; not at the same rate and importance, in the very least.

Melon prices going down brought upon higher demand/price for melonswords, if anything - even if it was short-lived. Once something gets nerfed, some people will try their hardest to get the one thing that makes it worth-while again (or almost worth-while); in this case, getting a melonsword.

Also, might I add, melonsword prices are also dropping because more, and more, and more, and more... Are coming into the server. Have you seen the thread in General? Last I looked, a few weeks ago, there was over 85 melonswords, and at their current price then, over 26 MILLION EcoDollars worth of them. I watched that thread as more and more melonswords appeared; their prices steadily dropped down. I also noted that more and more people share their melonsword and/or rent it, which means less people want/need a sword as their friend will let them use theirs.

Oh, and people are losing melonswords left and right nowadays, but they just go, "oh, lol, okay, I'm upset for a few minutes, but I can just go buy another and/or someone else bought another for me!" They clearly aren't a "rare," or "rich person" thing anymore due to how much is standard made income from pumpkins and melons.

Fewer people needing their own melonsword = less demand for melonswords = people dropping prices in hopes that they can sell their sword.

And on the point of renting out their melonswords: This makes people profit. This profit should be more than enough to make up for that teeny, tiny bit more that pumpkin farming makes. I understand renting is a dangerous thing, but that is what contracts are for and that is what business is. As well, "it will take away from my own time to farm." No, it will not. Plan accordingly so that the renter can use it when you are not/can not be online. Profit while doing absolutely nothing.

Pumpkin farms only way of rental is by the farm; melon farms can be rented via sword and via farm. Also, pumpkin farming has addition fees (speed potions for non-flyers, more repairs) whereas melon farming has very little, if any (repairs are useful, but maybe not as much). And for those arguing that you shouldn't have to rely on donation deatures (i.e. e-repair, fly), you do. Even you melon farmers do, with the e-repair. You cannot say that flying is uncountable towards any of this, when you also rely on a donation feature. Even if someone else owns the e-repair, they still spent real money on the server so that people can make money. This still applies to fly, even if you cannot use someone else's fly.

On another note, if melon farming is truly suppose to be "for the rich," there are a few issues here:

1) Increase of netherstars should mean that the melonsword price goes up. 1000 netherstars no longer makes you "rich," therefore melonswords aren't for the rich. Things need to adjust when something else changes. So if you want melonswords to continue being for the rich, make them actually available to the rich - not the "soon to be common" or "soon to be very easily obtainable."

2) There shouldn't be one way that significantly has an advantage in money-making, especially if it requires absolutely no skill or further payments. Only way to really keep an economy lively and stimulated is with multiple money-making methods - all with a close balance, with exclusion to a few that make more but are hard to do and/or have addition fees.

It keeps people interested, not getting bored of one thing, more materials for more trades, and less of a gap in the community (those who make a lot of money easy tend to separate from those who don't (elitism, in the end) and/or view the economy so differently that it can be hard to do business with them, cutting down on money and material flow).

To be honest, I think a lot of things need changed - and not just specifically with the prices of pumpkins and/or melons. Netherstars have changed enough to make things more complicated than they used to be, and so have the melonswords. We are not in the past when it was simple enough to change the price of either - there are more variables now, and they all need consideration.

So if melons are supposed to be for the rich, it isn't that their price needs raised or pumpkins dropped; melonswords and netherstars need to be accounted for, too. All balance will get thrown away otherwise. (It is possible to have balance, even if one way is suppose to make more money. Different types of balance exist.)

#88 MsMoofin, Jul 25, 2013
  9. WickedChill

WickedChill Builder

Ratings:
    +3
    Heres my 2 cents:

If you only need to pay $7,000 for a pumpkin axe, and $220k-300k for a melon sword,
    Melons should make more, flying or not. The cost of fly (~360k) should not be accounted for in the cost of pumpkin farming.

Pumpkins :$0.45-0.50
    Melons: $1.80

#89 WickedChill, Jul 25, 2013
  10. seawiiplay

seawiiplay Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +43
    Pumpkins should be lowered not only because it would make melons a superior crop again. It would encourage users to find other ways to earn money including Mining and switching their crops to Nether Wart. More farms would be made and converted and it would also create jobs for builders as somebody would need to replant.

11. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    I hope that means you see my side of the story

12. Delucaco

Delucaco Station 64 Swag
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +358
    If your side of the story is that pumpkins should be lowered or melons should be raised, then yes.

13. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Yep

14. pokeboy24

pokeboy24 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +77
    I don't use speed pots when I pump farm because of my method. I sprint and move side to side to get both rows in one pass. I can do it with speed 1, though. It makes about the same as what you are saying (though I've never farmed for an hour, my estimate was $12k+).

15. TdoggTL

TdoggTL Builder

EcoDollars:
    $552
    Ratings:
    +532
  16. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    This be absolutely wrong but I think it isn't fair to lower pumpkins. If melon swords themselves were made 300k by the users, why should pumpkins get the lowering? Pumpkin axes cost little and lowering pumpkins because melon swords lowered in value doesn't make sense.

17. klubjosh

klubjosh Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Builder ⚒️

Ratings:
    +6
    Pumpkin farming is to OP. That is all I have to say.

18. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    Nooo. D:

19. TdoggTL

TdoggTL Builder

EcoDollars:
    $552
    Ratings: