Denied [Main Server Suggestion] Warp Rentals

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by cainam, Jan 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cainam

cainam Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +27
    In Game Name:
    cainam
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    Main Server
    Short title for your suggestion:
    Warp Rentals
    What are you suggesting:
    With the move to 1.18 warps must be rented rather than purchased. I would suggest a 30K application fee for a new warp setup (or reactivation of an expired warp) that includes the first month rent, with a 10K/month rental fee. This will be a drop in the bucket for users that make money off having a warp, and shouldn't be too burdensome for those keeping a warp simply for convenience sake.
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    Rather than a one time sink of ecodollars for warp access this becomes a constant sink for people that want to maintain warp access. There are a number of warps used for maintaining a business where this would be a minor cut in profit, but still a cut of ecodollars that is constantly being removed from the economy.

This will also be nice to drop off warps that aren't being actively maintained, so the warp list doesn't simply grow indefinitely.
    Other information:
    There are a lack of ways to remove money from the economy once introduced compared to the amount of money that gets introduced. This may help the balance a bit, and doing this at the time of a map reset (so there aren't a mix of purchased and rented warps) seems a great time to introduce it.

I do have concerns about problems this may cause, but believe the benefit outweighs those. Those concerns:
    Extra work for the staff to deactivate warps that lapse.
    New players having a plot in a town with a warp where the mayor decides to leave and the warp lapses, making it harder for the player to get back there (assuming they don't have a home set there).
    Push back from the player base that is used to warps being a one time purchase.

Spawn shop rentals have been handled by staff, and I don't see this as adding much additional work, though the work is not none. Rent can be paid with an application prior to expiration for an indefinite amount of time.
    New players that get caught in that situation can get help from a player or staff member to get back to their town and set a home or move their stuff. It's probably a minor problem, that will occur once in a great while.
    There is always push back from the player base when costs increase, but that is countered by the overall good it can do for the server.

The numbers (initial application price and monthly rent price) are easy to tweak later if these are found to be too high to allow people to maintain warps, or too low to take enough out of the economy.
    Plugin or custom addition:
    Custom addition. Really more of a tweak to an already used current warp plugin.
    One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

2. Pixel75

Pixel75 Lucky EcoLegend
    EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +435
    -1 This is an interesting idea but I just don't see how it would be maintained. There's over 200+ warps just on the main server. This process would require some sort of automatic timer to delete the warp. Also I don't think warps would lose that much service due to the multihome feature.

3. cainam

cainam Mayor

Ratings:
    +27
    That's part of what this is supposed to address. How many of those are active, and how many just go to towns where the mayor has been inactive for months/years? Ideally this will keep the number down on the new map so if there is a warp it will at least be active and used by some people.

I agree that maintenance can get overwhelming though, and it may require scripting to disable warps at a given time. Even given 300 warps and 1 month rent at a time that's ~10 warps a day to address. It's why I mentioned it in the concerns. My hope is that the spawn shop disabling code (if there is some) could be reused, but not having looked at the code that may not be the case.

4. coow_coow

coow_coow Shiny Staff
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ Game Admin EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Prestige ⭐ VI ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +568
    I went investigating the other day and the answer is 4 and only 1 of them have a warp
    4 Town Owners sit inactive for the last 6 months due to the reset only being last year , all other towns with inactive owners sit in /archive or now have been claimed.

A handful of Towns have inactive owners but none of those are inactive for aslong as 2-3months with only 3-4 owners at the 4-5month mark.
    usefull bit info thought you'd like to know

however I'm going to say I like this idea - I just don't think it would make alot of difference considering I can make 10k in 2 minutes , it would only financially burden the poor/new players, and I think its not the answer to removing ECD from the economy. But I respect your post.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    #4 coow_coow, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  5. cainam

cainam Mayor

Ratings:
    +27
    I guess the reduction of warps to inactive places is minimal. Granted at a year since reset, being gone 6 months is a stretch for someone who went through to get mayor in the first place. If we expect a main map reset regularly then this won't matter in the least to reduce warps (and at my price point may actually increase them).

That's true, but if we shoot down all the ideas for small money sinks then our only option is to have a few large money sinks that people are free to ignore. It's a game, and everything is a luxury item. We need more sinks that are small potatoes so people can buy them easily and not worry too much about them, or we need larger end game ranks/tools.

The faucets for the game (where money is printed by the server) are mostly small, but put together add up. Why won't the same theory apply to sinks? Granted this is only a piece of what might be needed, but this is an opportune time to add this piece.

At the rates I proposed a 3 month warp costs the same as a current warp. Getting it for a single month is cheaper, which might be an incentive to newer/poorer players. Increasing the costs make getting warps less likely, but then act as a bigger sink. There are knobs to turn to adjust this, minimal rental times, cost of initial application, monthly fee, even potentially larger costs as rank or number of warp applications increase. Those knobs can be adjusted with a bit of notice, but finding a good time to introduce a change like this is difficult.

6. Lopporit

Lopporit Shiny SA
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ Server Admin EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Prestige ⭐⭐ XI ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Team

Ratings:
    +968
    I see what you're going for here, but this system seems a while lot like a headache.

First, this is a mechanic that has existed and not been changed for coming on 8 years now. The current way of doing it hasn't caused any problems, it just works.

Second, this would be an enormous load on the GA+ team. Those 200+ warp subscriptions would need processing every month, and a feature like this has never been fully automated, I do highly doubt that will happen.

The point of taking money out of the economy is really a moot point. Unless something astronomically expensive such as the current 50k fee becoming a recurring fee (again, the load on staff would be massive) then the impact will be completely nonexistent.

7. cainam

cainam Mayor

Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Cammy. Without an automated system then the overhead likely isn't worth the little bit that it removes. Because of the old spawn shops (50+ shops with weekly rentals) I assumed that there was some automation already in place. Processing new applications to apply rent is much less difficult than having to check all the warps regularly.

8. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,380
    We don't have any systems in place to handle this sort of idea and I definitely won't be implementing a complicated monitoring system that has to be handled by manpower of the GA+ team. Even shop clears are not automatic. Those are done manually by me as needed.

In any case, anything regarding towns has never been run on a "rental" system. Towns are legit your real-estate on the server, once you've bought it then its yours and you already risk losing the entire town and all the contents via Town Claims if you are offline long enough.
    This isn't something I am interested in implementing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.