I suggest calling the in game currency somthing other than $

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by papakapp, Jun 15, 2011.

1. papakapp

papakapp Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Builder ⚒️

Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at an auction for some Admin houses on this forum and the opening bid was $100 My first thought was that it was 100 US Dollars because that sounded like a reasonable price to me. But then People ran the bid up to $700 in less than a day. I could see the price maybe getting that high in a week, but less than a day? So now I can't figure out if there are some very dedicated ecocitycraft users with a sizable chunk of disposable income, or if the price was always in in game currency.

Maybe in stead of calling the in game money $, it could be called Æ (Short for Andrew's Ecobucks) or something?

like this:
    $100
    now becomes
    Æ100

...might also need to put an [alt146] button between the underline button and the quote button for laptop users that don't have a numpad, though. So it might be better to use a button that is on the keyboard.

2. Starbolt79

Starbolt79 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: I suggest calling the in game currency somthing other th

You think people buy houses in real life for 100$?

Lulz >_>

3. MsMoofin

MsMoofin (Don't) Paddle (the) Cow
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +829

Think they meant buying in-game houses/items/whatever for rl currency. o.o

4. Starbolt79

Starbolt79 Guest

Ratings:
    +0

So he thinks we're using real dollars for in-game dollars....

Either way, he's misinformed o.o

(10$ = 10,000$ in game <_<)

5. papakapp

papakapp Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Builder ⚒️

Ratings:
    +0

ahem...

If you go and check the for sale forum on this website, you will see that Andrew is selling "admin houses, with a portal" via an auction. As this was not an in-game transaction, but rather a transaction occurring outside of the EcoCity universe, the terms were unclear. Particularly since the actual text of the auction that I read had an enormous banner directly above it and on the exact same page that offered to sell in game currency for us dollars. Since the enormous banner referred to US dollars as a way to support the server, and since the guy responsible for putting the banner there was the very same guy responsible for hosting the auction (and also the guy that would pay for the bandwidth)... yeah... it was unclear.

So, perhaps I could have been more clear myself... but I did say "an auction for some Admin houses on this forum" and not "an auction for some Admin houses on within the game universe"
    Something still seems a little strange though that there would be this much confusion. Has nobody read the auction that is currently taking place on the for sale forum?

6. Starbolt79

Starbolt79 Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Do you really, and I mean honestly think he's selling those houses for RLmoney?

Those are not occurring outside of the Minecraft game, since it's in the Minecraft-part of this forum... If it was in like... Off-Topic or something not related to Minecrat, then maybe... Just maybe...

Come on now... Use your common sense... :p

And he's selling his Undertown house, which has a portal nearby since Koji has a portal located in Undertown >_>

7. papakapp

papakapp Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Builder ⚒️

Ratings:
    +0

of course. A hundred bucks for some prime real estate? That's not too bad. Think of it like a benefit auction. Some private school, or maybe a person that has some really bad hospital bills or a non-profit organization... all these things host benefit auctions where people who are supportive of the cause come to the auction and pay really high prices for stuff that they could get cheaper in the store. They do it because they support the cause. I could absolutely see somebody paying a hundred bucks for a house if they knew their money was going to keep the server running.

Who do you think pays the bills for this server? How much do you think it costs a month? [hint: the monthly cost is posted everywhere around here.]

8. Starbolt79

Starbolt79 Guest

Ratings:
    +0

It's going up tmuch higher soon... (@The cost for the server)

I love how I'm getting told how the server is run by a builder :3

People donate money through the paypal buttons at the top right, no where else at the moment... So no, this wouldn't be like that... And it would be clearly stated, in probably Bold Red Text that this auction was for RLmoney <_<

9. papakapp

papakapp Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Builder ⚒️

Ratings:
    +0

now we're getting somewhere :D
    We're back to my original point
    My point was that $ has a universal meaning everywhere except on these forums. I could accept $ having a different meaning in game because the context makes that clear.
    If we need Bold Red Text when we want $ to mean the very same thing that it means absolutely everywhere else in the real world, then that is confusing.

And yeah, I'm a builder so your idiosyncrasies are new to me (like the misuse of the $ thing) so whats so bad about making it more clear for we builders?

10. Starbolt79

Starbolt79 Guest

Ratings:
    +0

So, instead of playing on the server, and learning, and having fun while working up to become a resident... You're here debating with me the way we use dollars in our game, and how it confused you...

What a waste of time...

11. Mission001

Mission001 Ex-EcoLegend HⱻặĐHůƞẗǝɍ
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $495
    Ratings:
    +6,478

Chill out star...

He was only suggesting something, even if his reasoning wasnt that good, he still has a point and should get shouted down or mocked...

12. Starbolt79

Starbolt79 Guest

Ratings:
    +0

I never shout o.o'

And I'm not mocking... Just wondering why he's so worried about it... It's just a game and shouldn't really be important...

13. papakapp

papakapp Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Builder ⚒️

Ratings:
    +0

Debating? It seems as though so far the only thing I have managed to do is actually explain to you what my position is. And that was only completed in my very last post. I have not even tried to debate the merits of it yet. Nor did I intend to debate it at any time. It was only a suggestion.

There is one thing I would debate, however. You said some of the things I ought to be doing are "playing, learning, and having fun" I have now learned the way $ is used around here. So this was not a waste of time.

And yeah, it did take as long as it took to actually learn because until your last post it seemed as though we were talking past each other.

14. Starbolt79

Starbolt79 Guest

Ratings:
    +0

*Reads back over everything...

This feels eerily familiar to how D0rc and I really met...

I guess you and I will become good friends then Kapp :3

15. papakapp

papakapp Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Builder ⚒️

Ratings:
    +0

[​IMG]

16. Rezonl

Rezonl Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +27

^ I did it, now theres grease on my monitor.

17. Starbolt79

Starbolt79 Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Lulz <3

18. D0rc

D0rc Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +110

First, xD over the "Brofist"
    Second, did we really meet this way Star?

19. Starbolt79

Starbolt79 Guest

Ratings:
    +0

We met fighting over people getting money before the new map was live, yes <_<

20. D0rc

D0rc Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +110

But that was different, that was way different, it also didn't end in "Brofist" it wasn't about a suggestion, it was...you know, we ended this WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back when I became resident...feels so long ago.