enforce lottery team scamming

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by bobman3355, Oct 9, 2014.

1. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    It's a bad idea indeed!
    Lottery teaming is silly, you team up to combine tickets and then split the profit. But in the end this is just an unofficial agreement. 2 people decide that when either of them wins the lotto that they'll split up. It's just that, a silly agreement.
    There's no way this can be enforced, because there's no way you can take screenshots of everything. There's no way you can prove this person put in this many tickets. It's impossible to get convincing evidence, because there's too many variables. Someone can agree to team up with 20 tickets, but they can't prove that this person only had 20 tickets in unless they win. And what if that person has 50 tickets in instead, did he break the agreement of putting in only 20 tickets. What if he wins with those 50 tickets? What then? Does he still have to split the profit even though he put an amount in that wasn't agreed upon?
    I see no way this could work, there's too many variables and too many messages to keep track of.

The way I see it lotto teaming carries the same risks as playing solo. The risk of losing it all. And I don't see why not going through with lotto teaming should be punished. Considering the game is meant to be played alone.

If not going through with lotto teaming gets punished, then the same should be done with SG. You team up with someone in SG, and that person backstabs you before deathmatch. I guess that's scamming too. There's money involved. So it has to be!

#81 kukelekuuk, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. a18greek18

a18greek18 Former EcoLeader

EcoDollars:
    $52,000
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    It would be hard because mods would have to keep tract of this all the time and enforce the rule too much. Anyway this isn't getting added so I'm done talking in this thread.

3. LRP85

LRP85 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +77
    It would no harder than any other agreement in game. Just make people prove there case with screenshots.

4. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925
    What makes lottery teaming different from SG teaming?

5. LRP85

LRP85 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +77
    Do people ever give another person money in sg? If not then it isn't the same.

6. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925
    Lottery teaming is when people throw in money in the lotto. They don't give money to anyone, they just invest in lotto.
    SG teaming there's also money involved, usually the winnings are split between team members. (like actual teams, not the noob builder teams)

So what makes it different?

#86 kukelekuuk, Oct 16, 2014
  7. LRP85

LRP85 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +77
    Read more posts and you would have seen how it is different.

8. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925
    That's no answer. I read all the posts and I still don't see how it's different.
    It's an agreement to work together and split the profit. Lottery is nothing different, you both play, and you both agree to split the profit. Where is the line drawn between the two?
    Lottery has more money involved, but money also has a lot more risk involved. You play lotto with that risk in mind.

#88 kukelekuuk, Oct 16, 2014
  9. LRP85

LRP85 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +77
    I posted an explanation already that this is not how every one does it. If you can't read it then oh well.

10. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925
    That's sheer stupidity, not something staff should fix.
    Next thing you'll say staff should monitor every item transaction done by throwing items on the floor, because that's how some people do it!

You're missing the point. Just because some people do it, doesn't mean it's supposed to go that way.
    If some people do it differently then that group of people is doing it in a stupid and unsafest way possible.
    Staff isn't there to fix people's messups, lol.

11. LRP85

LRP85 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +77
    It's only unsafe because it's not upheld as a rule. If punishment would be given for breaking an agreement with proof of an agreement when money is given for it, then less scamming would happen. Simple as that. An agreement is an agreement after all.

As some one stated already, they uphold donation sale scamming, even though it is not approved. Why is this different?

12. _TANSTAAFL

_TANSTAAFL EcoLegend
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,426
    it is different because it is a lot more work. The number of lotto scam complaints would dwarf the donation sale complaints.

13. LRP85

LRP85 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +77
    If people could be punished for scamming they would be less likely to do it, so it would only be a lot of work at first.

This is a stupid reason though, cause the staff are here for this reason, not to say they don't want the work and let people be ripped off.

14. _TANSTAAFL

_TANSTAAFL EcoLegend

Ratings:
    +1,426
    As it stands, the rules state that they don't support these agreements, so no one is getting ripped off. they should have known the rules.

Also, if the staff can spend more time helping new players or improving the content of our server rather than handling a crapload of lottery scamming complaints then that is a good thing.

15. LRP85

LRP85 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +77
    Guessing you don't realize what I was getting at at all. If it is against the rules, people won't do it so there won't be a crap ton of complaints.

Either way, In this case they should point out explicitly that it is not supported, as they do for donation sales. They could even make it against the rules. As of now it does not, as far as I am aware, state that these agreements are not upheld by staff.

#95 LRP85, Oct 16, 2014
  16. _TANSTAAFL

_TANSTAAFL EcoLegend

Ratings:
    +1,426
    I will never be swayed that we should make this a rule, so I'll just be going.

17. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +515
    What's the difference between an unofficial agreement and an official agreement? Why should people give someone their trust to be betrayed? You can call it a "silly agreement" or a "bad idea" all you want, but a verbal contract should always be sticked too, and we should enforce that. If someone says "Hey resident, let's each spend 40k on your mayorship, and then split ownership of the town" it is basically the same thing as lottery teaming except theres more risk involved, so basically adding "Let's each put in 100k, and if either of us win, split the winnings 50/50." Instead of it being definite, theres an "if", and "if" is true, people should still be required to follow their word.
    I have already suggested the way to gather evidence could by video, in which you capture the entire lottery, with this you could see the tickets, winnings, and agreement.

Also if the agreed upon amount is 20, and the person who made the deal put in 50, and they agreed that they would split the winnings if they won half/half, he would still be required to do so. Because he did put in 20 tickets, and putting in more was his choice. However, he agreed that if they won they would split the money, so he must do so.

When you donate, you risk losing all your money, or the person not following through. And donating is meant to be with USD and by yourself, yet it is still moderated.

Only if they agreed to split the money.

18. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    In this case,

#98 AgentHare, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014
  19. GoddessLaverna

GoddessLaverna Builder

Ratings:
    +42
    Solution: don't trust other users with large amounts of money in lottery. This can't be enforced. If it were implemented, it would cost staff tons of time in complaints. Just save your money and avoid lotto! Haha.

20. AgentHare

AgentHare Builder

Ratings:
    +515
    And why can't it not be enforced?

Staff are already spending time dealing with complaints with people accidentally talking twice and people calling it "spam" and other stupid reasons.

Why can people go back on their word? Why are we letting people scam?