Denied [Discord Server Suggestion] @Events for everyone

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jdawger, Oct 25, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,299
    In Game Name:
    Jdawger
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    Discord Server
    Short title for your suggestion:
    @Events for everyone
    What are you suggesting:
    Let anyone tag @Events on discord
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    At the moment, only staff members can use this ping, but what about anyone who wants to make an event? As it stands already, any message without the ping gets lost, so basically the only events that get any attention are staff-created ones. If we want a more inclusive server & encourage more people to create events for the community, this would be a great first step, esp. since the @Events ping is an optional ping that people opt into.
    Other information:
    Obviously, there should be some rules if this were to be added, such as you may only use the ping once per event, or once every 24hrs (and obv you can't spam it without being discord banned).

If this suggestion is not accepted, maybe change the pings into two, such as @OfficialEvents that only staff can use, and @Events that anyone can use.
    Plugin or custom addition:

One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

2. TJanicki

TJanicki /warp monaco
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +162
    -1, I have notifications on for server events only, all others pings will become unwelcome spam

#2 TJanicki, Oct 25, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
  3. neecoalage

neecoalage Always sleepy.
    Moderator ECC Sponsor EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VIII ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +505
    -1 imo and not because I’m a staff member. But you can easily message one of us to post it. We’ve done it in the past for player based events. Ofc there may be stipulations, but it doesn’t hurt to ask us.

#3 neecoalage, Oct 25, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
  4. Jdawger

ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,299
    That's true, but from my experience when I ran the ECCMuseum 5th anniversary event, staff members took at least 12hrs (with some posts taking 24+ hrs) to be posted. One of my staff-requested pings ended up not getting posted because all the staff members I messaged didn't get to it until after the event concluded; I had to scrap one major aspect of it because they couldn't get it posted in time (which could've been resolved if I could ping myself)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    #4 Jdawger, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  5. RealRichNixon

RealRichNixon Pres. Richard Nixon by day, GameAdmin by night.
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ Game Admin EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +428

This is extremely dangerous.

Anyone who wants to make an event on the server is more than welcome to do so. But, this doesn't mean that every event on the server is going to be sponsored by the server. This is where staff need to have exclusive access to the tag. A user can host their own event and claim to give out 20 star keys, but from a server standpoint, it would present a huge liability if the 20 star keys weren't to be dropped. Surely users would complain here, there, and everywhere about "false advertising", just like we did earlier in a much smaller yet relevant example.

Adding a 24-hour time limit or limit of any kind doesn't have the effect I think you think it will have. Users will start to use alternate accounts on Discord, create new accounts, and even pay others in-game to tag using this @Events tag. This in turn creates more pings.

Quite frankly, ECC has enough pings and notifications as it is. I know for a fact that everybody doesn't read important pings too, even if it's in @News, #news, and posted on the forums, because people remain uninformed as to when worlds reset, and there are still questions about things that can be answered by skimming the news channel on Discord.

Even when there are pings to @Events, just like with @News, not everybody reads them. We've seen users in-game say they missed an event like mini-golf or Pokemon Hunt because they didn't know it was happening, despite the many alerts in-game and the pings that happen in Discord.

Regarding the ECCMuseum's fifth anniversary, it's unfortunate that the ads didn't get posted in a timely manner and I apologize for that if it was an instance where I could have helped the situation. But, you do have access to post in the #events channel if you have a specific event you'd like to spread the word about, there is the trade channel, there is still a way of getting an official @Events server ping out (with the permission of administration), and there is still a way to get your event advertised via the Alert channel in-game (with the permission of administration). (And again, even with all of these methods employed, not all users read notifications, look at pings, or read messages.)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  6. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,060
    Tags are obnoxious and I'd really prefer not everyone gets access to a tag group.

However, I think there's a solid argument for giving access to the tag for trusted members of the community who run events. Can always remove the power if they abuse it and not relying on staff for tags takes stuff off their plate.

7. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,060
    This is a Minecraft server -- literally nothing is extremely dangerous.

8. Jdawger

Ratings:
    +3,299
    I actually second this. I guess this is more or less what I was trying to suggest. Maybe if you donated to the server, you can do a tag. Or if that is too broad, maybe make it like staff app requirements, like you need to be on the server for a certain amount of time or have a certain rank (then you can apply to get access or something)

#8 Jdawger, Oct 29, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  9. BobbyBlack

BobbyBlack Community Spokesperson
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ XI ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,517
    I agree with this. Certain non-staff users who do run events often should be able to have access to the events tag so they can notify users on their own time and not have to go through staff members to do so.

10. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6

Ratings:
    +8,060
    tbh I don't think we need a formalized process for this, that's just more paperwork for everyone involved that doesn't improve the player experience in any meaningful way.

11. a_man21

a_man21 a_manda
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,311
    Maybe we can make an "Event Staff" role that has permission to tag @Events, and then just give that role to users who approach staff with an event idea.

12. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,091
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.