Accepted Disallow the overly aggressive comments in additional info sections of complaints

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by eekelmo, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eekelmo

eekelmo Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +7,789
    It's not uncommon to see additional info sections like 'This user needs to be banned! He/she is the scum of humanity!' and have it be kept there with no warning given. If a user said the things people type into additional info sections anywhere else they'd be warned, but it's something that is excused here.

These don't happen incredibly often but they happen often enough for me to file a suggestion about it.

Example 1:
    https://www.ecocitycraft.com/forum/threads/user-complaint-purplelegoender.153765/#post-858794
    'How this user has not been banned yet is beyond me, I am sick of this user hacking in SG and it's time that they are banned and de-ranked'

Example 2:
    https://www.ecocitycraft.com/forum/threads/user-complaint-digger0208.153027/
    'This user has been ruining the SG experience for many of us players who fight fairly. The fact that he wins so many games like this is just outrageous. It needs to stop.'

Example 3:
    https://www.ecocitycraft.com/forum/threads/user-complaint-digger0208.153221/
    'So hypocritical.'

Example 4:
    https://www.ecocitycraft.com/forum/threads/user-complaint-infernavolcan.152917/
    'Just ban him already'

These are only examples from the first page and it's clear to see that it's very common (but not exclusive to) hacking complaints. Users shouldn't be able to treat others as though they are definitely hacking even though it hasn't been proven yet.

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Potato Potato x 2
    • List
  2. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    I agree, recently especially it seems that the additional info section gets a free pass on the basic rule of the forum which is to keep things professional.

It's a field for other relevant info, not editorializing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. oootopia

oootopia Utopian
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,954
    I do see this as a problem. As it doesn't happen very often (but indeed often enough to bring up), perhaps instead of removing the section just make it a part of the moderation guidelines to remove comment/forum warn for abuse of this section as necessary? I've seen complaints with plenty of valid info there as well although perhaps it really isn't totally necessary.

• Potato Potato x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. eekelmo

eekelmo Builder

Ratings:
    +7,789
    I never said to remove it, the suggestion is just to punish people that abuse the section.

5. RyanBlocks2

RyanBlocks2 EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +946
    I think you're overthinking it. Does it really matter? No, it doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  6. eekelmo

eekelmo Builder

Ratings:
    +7,789
    Could you provide actual reasoning rather than just saying it doesn't matter? The rules of the server aren't being consistently enforced in the additional info section, it does matter.

7. oootopia

oootopia Utopian

Ratings:
    +4,954
    Oh I see, for some reason I was wrongfully thinking that by disallow you meant remove.

8. RyanBlocks2

RyanBlocks2 EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +946
    The rules aren't consistently enforced anywhere on the server. The rules themselves aren't even consistent. Who cares if someone posts "this guy needs to be banned" on a complaint. It has no effect on anyone and its been happening forever. This isn't a problem. Not everything needs to be strictly professional this is a video game not court of law. People aren't robots. When they get angry about something the're gonna add some bm comment. I don't see a reason to make them keep it polite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. eekelmo

eekelmo Builder

Ratings:
    +7,789
    The rules broken in the additional info section are consistently enforced. The rules most commonly broken in the section are things like flaming, hackusations and general disrespect. Then there's the fact that saying rules aren't consistently enforced isn't even a reasoning against this suggestion, it's supporting it as I'm looking to have them consistently enforced in this part of the forum.

Saying it has no effect on anyone is silly. If someone says 'How this user has not been banned yet is beyond me, I am sick of this user hacking in SG and it's time that they are banned and de-ranked' in a complaint about myself, it would effect me. Also, saying that it's ok because 'it's been happening forever' is not a valid reason whatsoever, that's like saying we should never change anything because X has always been a certain way.

If you look at N6's post earlier in the thread he says this:
    It's in the rules to keep things professional, it doesn't matter if it's a game. You can be silly and have fun nearly anywhere else on the forum, the B&C forum is not that place.

To me this is like saying that people aren't capable of controlling their emotions, and sure some people aren't, but that's their problem and shouldn't be something that effects others. It is not the job of the server to coddle people because they have temper tantrums. There has to be a standard of behaviour expected of the playerbase.

• Potato Potato x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Texas_Bulldog

Texas_Bulldog Bikini Inspector
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +86
    Honestly who cares, it has no effect on the outcome of the complaint, it doesn't affect the evidence at all. It's not an issue.

11. eekelmo

eekelmo Builder

Ratings:
    +7,789
    It actually can have an effect on the complaint, attempting to enrage someone can cause them to comment something they wouldn't have otherwise on the complaint or elsewhere. Even if it doesn't have an effect, it doesn't matter. It's still an issue as it's just a free ticket to flaming someone.

12. oxwood2

oxwood2 Builder
    ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Users who do this should get a flame baiting forum warning point

13. Zedoker

Zedoker ~|Huggable Ex-GameAdmin & Ex-Tomkfc Lover|~
    ECC Sponsor Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,312
    +1 hate it when people use memes or say stuff that is not really essential at all. Should be for actually relevant info that could help with the complaint.

14. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,290
    I am glad this is under review. I would also hope that this would include the whole complaint, not just one section. I also had no idea that players were able per the rules to dictate outcomes (such as bans) and had always believed that negotiation was something our staff had the power to do. Unfortunately, I have learned this is not true, players are now allowed to dictate terms and refuse to negotiate in order to force bans.

15. Riggs316

Riggs316 The Ultimate Rigger
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +763
    +1 As Oxwood said, anyone posting memes or inflammatory nonsense should be given a forum warning. People treat the BA/C section of the forums as a joke. If you want it to be a legitimate, serious process, then treat it as such.

16. a18greek18

a18greek18 Former EcoLeader
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $52,000
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    Agreed. Some of the things I see in complaints are just mind blowing...

17. RaginDevonian

RaginDevonian Pro Pokemon Player
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $47,000
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    +1 It's time people stopped getting free passes to insult others.

18. Drewbo_

Drewbo_ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    +1, especially during hacking complaints, I've seen users saying "clearly using kill aura" (which can be taken as harassment) and they weren't hacking.

19. Dccciz

Dccciz Nicememer55

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,061
    Just get rid of it completely. If it's not evidence or part of the crime/reason for the report why should it be there?

20. Nate1450

Nate1450 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +475
    +1 needs to happen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.