Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LTPfiredemon Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +96
    So, I mentioned that I consider myself to be gay in the chat when people were talking about relationships and after I did so I suddenly got reported simply for contributing to the current conversation with a statement that I consider to be true. I feel that it's unfair for being gay to be considered a "touchy" subject when the majority of first world countries have learned to no longer have a problem with it and only a few American states are serious about homophobia. It seems to me that EcoCityCraft is a very fun server with a decent community but it's in the dark about what should and should not be allowed to talk about. I propose that you don't have to be straight in order to talk about your sexuality on the server and that anyone can talk about their sexuality as long as it doesn't become explicit. I feel very uncomfortable by the notion that I am to be excluded in certain conversations just because I don't feel the same way others do towards members of the opposite sex and that if I want to contribute anything to a conversation about sexuality or relationships that I will be reported and possibly warned. Please don't continue with what seems to me to be a homophobic rule.

Context: https://www.ecocitycraft.com/forum/threads/user-complaint-ltpfiredemon.150538/#post-839674

• Winner x 15
    • Agree x 6
    • Optimistic x 1
    • List
    #1 LTPfiredemon, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. eekelmo Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +7,789
    Relevant: https://www.ecocitycraft.com/forum/threads/user-complaint-ltpfiredemon.150538/#post-839674 - I really don't see how what you said what a touchy subject ;-;

I get how it can be seen as touchy, but what you said was completely appropriate. Discussion of sexuality should only be warned for if it's done purely to troll or to stir things up. I feel as though there's an issue with some staff not understanding that just because it has the potential to go bad doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad, eg https://www.ecocitycraft.com/forum/threads/user-complaint-drowninginpizza.148618/#post-825192

+1

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
    • List
  3. steveshizzle Resident
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,035
    While I full agree with you and support this, keep in mind the reason for this "rule" is because we unfortunately share this server with a series of 9 year olds who refer to anything and everything as being gay because they're stupid and don't know any other adjectives. Until that magical day comes when there are no more stupid little kids playing video games, this is going to be the harsh reality that we face. You certainly shouldn't be reported for it

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Hhozier President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +176
    Completely agree...
    thats pretty stupid

things like gay rights could be considered touchy, but if you're just saying "yep im gay" then it shouldn't be considered a touchy subject.
    Referencing to something by calling it "gay" in a bad way shouldn't be allowed. But mentioning your sexuality shouldn't matter whatsoever.

5. HelixInsight Surgeon
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,280
    I can provide some context. There were some terms being thrown around with this word and were not used appropriately in normal language, thus some people were upset over handling of the situation. However, a statement like this is not touchy at all, though there were certain terms being thrown around which I thought was not appropriate and thus warned a user against using slang.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Vintage_Gamer Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,219
    You have a point. This shouldn't even be a suggestion to be honest, its common courtesy. Staff should handle these types of things with a bit more respect and caution.

7. Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,608
    +1 I feel like what you said shouldn't warrant a warn and therefore a rule change should occur.

#7 xX3PICREBELXx, May 21, 2016
  8. ToCatchAHansen Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️

Ratings:
    +410
    I agree. Although if you are going to use it as an insult, then you should be warned. If you say you are gay, bisexual or anything without trying to troll it should be allowed.

9. RyanBlocks2 EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +946
    So I'm not exactly sure what happened here so I'm not in a position to comment on it but...

One thing I do believe is that staff need to make sure they are looking at people's intentions when warning people in chat. You can't moderate just off of buzz words without looking at the context.

#9 RyanBlocks2, May 21, 2016
  10. kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    While I agree that just the mention of the word in a proper context shouldn't be warned, I do think talking about sexuality has no place in a chat with <12 year olds in it.

• Agree x 5
    • Friendly x 1
    • List
    #10 kukelekuuk, May 21, 2016
  11. LTPfiredemon Builder

Ratings:
    +96
    I agree to an extent but it seems to be that when it comes to talking about sexuality, we already do it all the time in life it's just only noticeable when you're not straight, if I was straight and talking about my partner or experiences with past partners, would that be considered against the rules? I don't think it would and that's why I think we should allow the talking about your sexuality even if you're not a part of the majority or "norm".

12. MocaBear Just a Dog
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ XI ⭐⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +410
    New I agree, to me it's pretty unacceptable that someone can get reported and even warned for this, no matter the context of the conversation before... unless a mod specifically said something about "don't talk about relationships anymore" or expressed that conversations like that need to stop...

the rule for talking about homosexual things is directed towards comments like was earlier on when you put down someone by saying "you're gay" or insulting someone. I can almost guarantee every person (yes even the 9 yr olds) know what being gay is, and just saying something simple about his life doesn't mean that he gets warned... Gay marriage/lifestyle is legal in almost every country that this server has players in (or at least the vast majority) it's not like its a foreign concept.

Being gay myself, I don't feel I should have to walk on pins and needles to talk about my life in the simplest terms! this wasn't talking about private life, or trying to hit on someone or make another user feel uncomfortable it was a simple conversation turned excessive by a useless report/mod warn.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • List
    #12 MocaBear, May 21, 2016
  13. LTPfiredemon Builder

Ratings:
    +96
    I completely agree except that I was the one reported on the forum and simply for mentioning my sexuality which is what this post is about, I don't feel as though the screenshot posted which got myself warned warrants the report having been successful, but that's my own opinion and I understand not everyone is tolerant when it comes to homosexuality yet.

14. RaginDevonian Pro Pokemon Player
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $47,000
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    TL;DR
    I respect your sexuality, and I respect you, but that really isn't necessary at all here. This isn't a dating site, this isn't a place to fight for rights, or anything of that matter. You can be gay without shouting it to the world. Announcing this is meant for family and friends, not a server of strangers.

15. Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,112
    This.

@Server Admin 's please make changes and let staff know in staff section.

As long as it's not explicit and bedroom action rated R+ stuff there is nothing wrong with saying I'm straight/gay.

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • List
    #15 andrewkm, May 21, 2016
  16. oootopia Utopian
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,954
    I'm sorry that you had to undergo this discrimination in our community @LTPfiredemon. Frankly it's an embarrassment and I'm so proud the rule is changing. Some people want to make sexuality a "touchy subject" but the thing is that human sexuality touches every part or our lives, not just the "lewd" bits. It's very important to me to promote an atmosphere of community acceptance and support for all of us. Please forgive us and give our community the opportunity to prove that you are just as valued and accepted as anyone else.

• List
  17. Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,061
    The according guidelines changes have been made.

This is now something you can do, provided you're not using it as an insult. That's still not allowed.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.