An Appeal For Pistons

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by AriusX, Sep 1, 2011.

1. AriusX

AriusX Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +0
    LWC had piston-destruction issues fixed on Aug 17th https://github.com/Hidendra/LWC/issues/51.

Pistons don't destroy protected blocks, signs, doors, etc. Not anymore. I suggest a new rank: Engineer. An engineer can place both types of pistons. This will have a twofold effect. First, there will be a list of all the people who can place pistons. If a piston-related greifing problem arises, it won't take long to resolve and identify the guilty party. Second, it will create a new rank, attainable through donation or eco-cash, to raise funds for the server. A rank is only worth having if there's something to get. Pistons add a whole new depth to MC. I'd buy "Engineer" before "Pilot", but that's just me. I prefer the building part of MC to the fighting or exploring parts.

Obviously, this would involve either spawning slimes or selling slime balls. I'd recommend both, but that's just me.

2. SynWannabe

SynWannabe Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +80
    I dont think that this would happen, Considering there is still able to push blocks and grief houses with out knowing who did it....

3. HDvorteX

HDvorteX Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +11
    I really like the sounds of this engineer rank. It gives a new rank + new features.

4. Rezonl

Rezonl Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +27
    If the engineer rank were to be able for the real world, the tags would be messed up. It would be like.. [Myr]Eng][$]Rezonl

Just an example :p

5. welikeike22

welikeike22 Dean Martin
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +987
    @Rezonl- Not really. In fairness, mods have many more ranks than we do and it works fine.

Secondly, i'd like to state i vouch for this idea. For too long have we not had pistons. The only problem i can really see arising is the lag which pistons might cause.

6. AriusX

AriusX Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +0
    That is a serious concern. Consider this, donators can use water buckets. By placing a water-generating block, all torches, redstone wire, buttons, and switches can be destroyed. The water-griefer can then remove the water-generator block and vanish. Knowing this, donators can still place water. The reasoning is that if a person invests a donation in the server, they have no reason to grief. I believe that same reasoning is valid for pistons. I do not propose that people be given pistons without, at the minimum, a paid-rank. In truth, I imagine that pistons would be, like water buckets, a donator perk.

My concern is this. Pistons are a remarkably fun part of MC. I love building hidden doors, moving floors and ceilings, and adventure houses. Currently, the EcoCity server has no means to allow a person access to pistons. Imagine if diamonds were disabled because a diamond pick is the best way to grief. Griefing is a problem, but when you disable fun features of the game, purely to prevent griefing, you've been scared right out of having a good time. Disabling pistons, to prevent griefing, is akin to feeding trolls.

7. XxHumanxX

XxHumanxX Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️

Ratings:
    +0
    if this were to happen at all, dont make it a a new rank that just means more ECC dollars.. and we just got skylands so we dont need a new rank

8. AriusX

AriusX Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not particularly attached to a new rank. My concern is the licensing of piston use. Obviously, if every builder is able to place pistons, there will be a significant increase in the instances of piston-related griefing. I believe that pistons can be re-introduced, on a limited basis, to find the correct level of regulation. I know of a bukkit plugin that limits which blocks a piston can manipulate. Maybe pistons need to be limited to only pushing wool or planks. What I'm trying to find is a good way to bring pistons back.

It could be a purely donator feature. If that were the case, having access to pistons would only create a little "$" after your name. That would limit the amount of nomenclature junk that each person hand. Equally, pistons could be a privilege for mayors and presidents, but only within their own towns. Then, it would be impossible to grief with pistons, as you cannot grief your own town.

9. Pleppieleppie

Ratings:
    +0
    I DO really like this suggestion! But since andrew can check a log where someone set pistons or sticky ones, it would be very easy to figure out who did grief. If a griefer actually would play like 4 weeks just to use piston griefing.