Accepted [All Main Servers Suggestion] Town name length increase.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by communism1, Feb 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. communism1

communism1 Kingfish
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +355
    In Game Name:
    Huey__Long
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    All Main Servers
    Short title for your suggestion:
    Town name length increase.
    What are you suggesting:
    That the number of characters in a town name be increased from a maximum of 13 to 20. OR at least clarify, in the wiki, that town names can be longer than 13 characters. Numerous towns have names which are longer than 13 characters already (as many as 19 characters I've seen on the current main server).
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    Since this "maximum 13 character" rule is seemingly only followed at moderators discretion, I feel like either raising the limit to a hard limit of 20 characters, or editing the wiki to state that names CAN be longer, just makes sense. Also 13 chars kinda arbitrary tbh.
    Other information:

Plugin or custom addition:
    Worldguard
    One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

Edit: thanks for the potatoes yall, keep em coming, baked potato do be my favourite kind potato after all. :)

• Potato Potato x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    #1 communism1, Feb 8, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  2. communism1

communism1 Kingfish

Ratings:
    +355
    Not sure why this deserves a potato @CammyBunny . If I can clarify anything for you just lmk.

• Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  3. Unnbearable

Unnbearable Slightly Bearable
    ECC Sponsor EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +171
    A bigger character limit would make sense, not like subregions don't have absurdly long names already, should be fine.
    Don't see any issues with the 20 suggestion, but 13 does seem to be an arbitrary number at this point.
    +1

4. Pixel75

Pixel75 Lucky EcoLegend
    EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +435
    +1 I use some pretty long names already for subregions so I don't think it would be an issue unless it's limited by the plugin.

5. KG4Life223

KG4Life223 Big Baller Brand Representative
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +77
    -1 clearly the rule is not enforced seeming towns have bypassed.

6. communism1

communism1 Kingfish

Ratings:
    +355
    Why not make it official then?

#6 communism1, Feb 8, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  7. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,269
    I mean, if someone made a town that goes over 13 characters, then isn’t the fact that the staff member placed it something that should be addressed directly instead of making a suggestion?

Anyway, +0 I really don’t care one way or another, especially since the 13 character limit doesn’t really bat me

8. communism1

communism1 Kingfish

Ratings:
    +355
    What do you mean by "addressed directly?" I have a town with 14 characters and there are many towns with more than 13. What I am suggesting is, since the limit is not enforced, it be raised.

#8 communism1, Feb 9, 2022
  9. Videowiz92

Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Benefactor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ X ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,183
    I feel like this suggestion is redundant. Obviously if the limit isn't being strictly enforced, why bother making the change? What's to stop somebody from making a town name with +1 extra character when we raise the limit again? Honestly didn't know or care that there was even a character limit.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. OConner1279

OConner1279 President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +624
    -1 doesn't really matter

but if it's a real big problem I suggest we have the GA's delete all the towns with too long names

11. Jdawger

ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,269
    By reading this suggestion, it seemed to be a direct response to a recently placed town that was 19 characters long. For many years now iirc staff didn’t really care if you did 14 character towns so long as it didn’t seem intentional or there was a single “_” in it. What I was saying is the better solution would probably be nipping it in the butt if staff members are placing towns with clearly too long names versus changing it to be X characters long, with a good portion of the reasoning being something @Videowiz92 stated:
    Where would the limit stop? Make it 20 and then someone would want 25. Make it then 25 and someone would want 27. Etc etc. Thirteen characters (with a loose 14) is good enough and has been for years. No need to make a network change it because a GA made one single town above 14 characters when maybe they shouldn’t have

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  12. killrdarknes

killrdarknes SMOKIN DONG
    ECC Sponsor EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $93,445
    Ratings:
    +1,163
    Hmm, yeah. I don't see the harm in raising the limit a little bit, maybe 16 or so characters. Should probably also hard-code that limit into the town creation command so that this doesn't happen again.

13. killrdarknes

killrdarknes SMOKIN DONG
    ECC Sponsor EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $93,445
    Ratings:
    +1,163
    I do wanna address this. Trust me, no one's trying to play favorites or denying certain character limits and accepting others for funsies. Just simple mistakes, is all. Otherwise I do agree with the premise of the post, lol.

14. communism1

communism1 Kingfish

Ratings:
    +355
    Not to try to argue with you, however CammyBunny told me that the recent 19 character town was intentional and that they asked Clar before creating it. Some longer towns may be a mistake, however at least one of them was not. Again, not trying to argue with you, however I just wanted to say that since it was not a mistake this time, and the limit seems to be intentionally ignored sometimes, I feel that for consistencies sake the limit should be increased to accommodate longer town names officially.

• Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #14 communism1, Feb 9, 2022
  15. killrdarknes

killrdarknes SMOKIN DONG

EcoDollars:
    $93,445
    Ratings:
    +1,163
    Huh! Interesting, didn’t have that context. All good, then I 100% agree with you

16. Gowther32

Gowther32 Goat Sin of Lust
    ECC Sponsor EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +107
    From my perspective this limit was initially imposed to prevent abuse by means of ridiculously long names or clutter in region lists that could appear spammy or excessive. Some may view 13 characters too short or long enough, but it remains just an arbitrary number and if limits are adjusted it sets poor precedence as mentioned by others and is rather unnecessary. Simplest solution is to have names exceeding to be considered case by case when application is being processed, I'm also very for updates to the wiki for any clarifications.

17. MatthewStevenGo

MatthewStevenGo Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $8,309
    Ratings:
    +571
    -1 What if the town name is WAAAAY to long to remember without having to write down yourself?

18. communism1

communism1 Kingfish

Ratings:
    +355
    I agree with this. If the wiki was edited to state something along the lines of "town names may be 1-13 or more characters, as long as it is not too spammy."

19. Gowther32

Gowther32 Goat Sin of Lust
    ECC Sponsor EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +107
    The wording is currently "Name must be between 1-13 characters in length.(a-z and 0-9, and _ [underscores] only)." The only addition that would be needed is in the parenthesis, along the lines of "exceptions to length and format on a case by case basis" or something to that effect. The wording you provided seems to change the guideline completely and doesn't feel right. However, any updates to the wiki is currently managed solely by Clar and is at her discretion.

20. Jdawger

Ratings:
    +3,269
    Yeah, this I can get behind 100%. I don’t think we need a hard change of an increased “legal” character limit for towns like the original suggestion seemed to suggest, just that if you make a town name that is over 13 characters that it has a higher chance of being denied compared to if it is under 13 characters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.