+97
    In Game Name:
    King_of_the_Dot
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    All Main Servers
    Short title for your suggestion:
    More Creative Build Contests and Prizes
    What are you suggesting:
    A few players have brought to my attention that they desire more interesting build contests. Since there is so much building that goes into Minecraft it makes logical sense that more in-depth guidelines, or more interesting build parameters, in addition to a 'better' prize pool might draw a better player base for said contests.

So theme building projects have been around, and are a great start to a good building contest, but I think the problem arises with the given themes of these contests. Just because someone is a good builder doesnt mean they're going to enjoy the given theme. An easy solution to this would be to provide multiple themes to player to choose from. Then it's up to that player what to make with the chosen theme/themes.

You could have a contest that included 12 themes such as 'Apocalyptic, Underwater, Cityscape, Western, Space, Hellscape, etc. etc.. At which point it would be up the player/players involved in each plot to create something from taking 2 of the given themes and combining them. So this still gives each team build parameters, but allows them a lot more flexibility in their builds (rather than just an 'easter' theme). There could be a contest where the teams 'selected X block types from Y list' to create their build, and maybe overlap that idea with a theme choice. There could be a whole separate post on the ideas for parameters of a build contest. There could even by a forum vote about such contests and what players would like to see.

Additionally the prizes for building entries could be broken down into more categories than just 'best or favorite', such as 'Most Creative Use of a GIVEN Block', and then have 5 different categories of that, so most creative use of DBlocks, Bookcases, Furnaces, Iron Ore, and like Jungle Planks. So there would definitely be more voting involved, or at least a more in-depth process in determining the winners of each of the categories.

It could be possible to have 2-4 tiers of building contest prices. So the more standout buildings would win top tier prizes, but make it such that each team can only earn 1 prize in each tier group.

-Tier 1 - Best Overall Build
    1st, 2nd, 3rd

-Tier 2 - Most Creative Use of GIVEN Block (3 to 5 different blocks to determine how many winners at this tier)
    Each team receives same payment at this tier.

-Tier 3 - Most Immersive, Most Time Consuming, Crowd Favorite (most talked about build maybe?, Funniest, etc..
    Each team receives same payment at this tier.

There could be as many tiers to the building contest creators want to keep track of. But having multiple tiers encourages more participation, and if you make it such that each team can only win 1 prize at each tier, or even only 1 prize at all, that would insure that many more players participating, since they know there are prizes to go around.

As far as the varied types of prizes, that more up to staff/contest creators to come up with, but I think this is a decent start. But I definitely think star tools as prizes are too much with their saturation, but setting players up to get close to buying their own isnt a bad idea, in my opinion. If the prizes included a star lot, but you had to have a minimum of 3 players on your build team, then it's not as big a deal to give away the amount of stars equal to a star tool distributed among 3 people.

Thanks for reading if you've made it this far
    -King
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    The moral of the story is we would always want more participation and excitement around building contests. I think these are a few ways we can generate more player buzz concerning building contests.
    Other information:
    Thanks @Revanrose6 and @EvenYouBrutus for your input and ideas.
    Plugin or custom addition:

One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

#1 King_of_the_Dot, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  2. Halosoda Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +17
    make it happen! I want a rematch!

• Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,355
    #3 Jdawger, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  4. ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,459
    These are actually really nice ideas. I will look into implementing them the next time we have a build contest.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.