A Place to Trade Items Safely

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by D0rc, Oct 21, 2011.

1. D0rc

D0rc Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +110
    Earlier today, I was attempting to sell diamonds to someone, but of course, it was at spawn, and things got kinda bad...
    That's when most people would complain in the complaints section, obviously, it'll get nowhere, because nothing can be done most of the time. Just don't do it at spawn.

But I want to say, that some players way back in the past (Months ago) refused to get teleported to a safer location to trade items, and some people don't have tp.
    So it's hard to trade because people will follow you at spawn when they know you're trading stuff, it's impossible to trade items sometimes because of this.

I'm asking, is it possible to have a portal at spawn that leads to a place where you can trade safely? Like a portal that takes you to a room just like this. I built this quick in creative single player to show what it might look like.

View from the Portal:
    [​IMG]

View from the levers you see in the last picture (Portal would be activated):
    [​IMG]

View of the pressure plates on the floor in one of the trading rooms (These are for "locking" the door so nobody can just open the door while you trade):
    [​IMG]

A view looking up from the last picture:
    [​IMG]

There is a way to lock somebody into the trading rooms, so I put this sign here that tells you how to get out. If you have to do this, you will not have to fix anything, I set it up to be impossible for someone to screw it up.:
    [​IMG]

I set up redstone so that you can open the doors with the levers in the first picture. The doors would be privated, and there are pressure plates in the trading rooms that, once stepped on, will activate a lock that makes it so the lever in the first room can't open the door (Requires pistons). The lever in the first room will not work again until the player steps off the pressure plates. This creates a room nobody can get into except for the people meant to be in there at the time, but nobody can just flip a switch and make it so nobody can get in at all.

In short. Nobody would be able to take your items, and less people will have a problem with trading like I did today.

This is a long post, but I wanted to make sure everything was clear. And I felt like making something that I can see being the trading area thingy.

2. CordialBacon

CordialBacon Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +284
    I agree with this. Usually every month or so I just look through ALL the complaints, and in the past I have seen ones about trade stealing. +1, really good idea. P.S we have the same texturepack, lol.

3. Jetscat

Jetscat Builder

Ratings:
    +995
    I like the idea, i have done many trades and along the way have lost many items, i also like the design of the room :p. I most like how you set it for when someone is trading it locks the door, cleaver.

The only thing is what if someone is standing on the pressure plates and they go AFK :O that would kinda suck.

4. D0rc

D0rc Builder

Ratings:
    +110
    The design was based on spawns design. Look at the ceiling in spawn. It's got the same green wool and lapis. As well, the glowstone placement was based on the glowstone in the portal room in spawn (Not counting the four in the floor.)

And I'm not too worried about the AFK thing. If it becomes a problem, then we can always make it bigger. And you could get a Moderator to tp them out.

5. Antonio1997m

Antonio1997m Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +0
    I like idea, 3 days ago someone stole 1 stack of my glowstone, but admin told him he must return it to me.

6. Jetscat

Jetscat Builder

Ratings:
    +995
    Yes, good point. Thumbs up overall i like the idea. :)

7. jerhms

jerhms Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️

Ratings:
    +121
    D0rc this is a great idea! I randomly get stealed when trading items and a whole load of junk happens. Great job! :D

8. UnstopableVirus

UnstopableVirus Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +2
    I got my stuff stolen once, it didn't end well, it was a long time ago, when I was a resident, and mushrooms weren't nerfed.
    I was buying gold from FlaminCactus and we were trading at spawn,
    this new user stole my gold, by means of walking over the dropped items,
    the both of us went on a wild goose chase and unfortunatly, no moderators can help us (maybe they were afk or somethi- just plain lazy) Flamin ended up in Jail by spamming messages about the culprit and I saw my gold get turned into armor...
    The criminal got jailed, too, but I never got my gold back, and lost about 300 dollars that day...

Anyways, that was a dark time, so it'd be great to have a trading room like this, good job d0rc. +On- oh wait... you have 990 Reputation Points ]:< I'll still +1 you.

9. MsMoofin

MsMoofin (Don't) Paddle (the) Cow
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +829
    If someone doesn't trust you or want a teleport to a safer location... Is it really worth doing business with them? You can always walk to the surface, too... One minute or less longer of movement could save you from many thieves.

I like the idea, but it seems complicated in the end. With the redstone, setting it up, people playing around in all of the rooms and causing drama so others can't trade safely... If it could work with no drama, I'd be all for it (even though I never trade with people - for the thieving reason.)

10. arb_67

arb_67 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +8
    I have lost so much stuff to this

The issue is how will you get like 9 trade rooms at once with different people in each using one portal?

11. D0rc

D0rc Builder

Ratings:
    +110
    My reply.
    People won't stop following you when you get up to the surface, so It's impossible to just walk away.
    And some people can't tp people...

I'd be happy to set up the redstone myself if Andrew lets me o.o
    It's an easy to set up rule; play around in the rooms not letting other people in = tp out/kick/jail depending.
    Also, it could be expanded. But the redstone would be harder to set up. Expanding it would have more rooms, and the chances of that many people trading at once is extremely unlikely. So there will always be an open room.

@Arb you mean how will people get into 9 rooms with one portal?
    The portal doesn't lead directly to the rooms, it leads to a big room with a wall of doors opened with levers.
    Extending it would be easy. move the wall back, move the rooms a little bit apart leaving room for the levers/redstone (Because if it was bigger, you wouldn't be able to have the levers on the back wall.) and you're pretty much set. You could have one portal leading to 9 rooms.

12. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    you could use a D Flip-Flop to make a lock so when people are inside they will activate that lock and then they can turn it off when they go out so people can use it again. ( I am going to test in sp)

13. MsMoofin

MsMoofin (Don't) Paddle (the) Cow
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +829
    @D0rc

/msg <playername> Alright, $500 for 6 Diamonds, right? Meet at surface spawn.
    /r <playername> ok, coming, one sec.

vs

/g Hey, <playername>, meet at spawn, I got your 6 Diamonds for $500
    /g right, got my cash, coming

/msg or /tell versus /g or /tr to discuss very final decisions on time/place.

/msg or /tell = everyone else doesn't know when or where, therefore you are no followed. People are always going to surface spawn to not trade, people are always going to portal room to not trade, and very rarely get followed to be followed.

/g or /tr = everyone sees, maybe multiple times due to fast chat with words that blend in with everyone else; takes longer to finalize, everyone clearly knows where you two people are going, and when.

14. D0rc

D0rc Builder

Ratings:
    +110
    That's not the point, though.
    There are people that will just wait at spawn expecting you there even without knowing that's where you went. And once they see you, they will follow you to the surface of spawn just to take the items. Even if not their purpose for being at the spawn, they may catch you there right after seeing a trade in trade chat, and decide to take them. It's all been done before. Even if only once or twice, it's been done, and can cause problems/complaints that we don't need.
    As the community grows, it will happen more and more, and that's not what we want. Is it?

15. Michaelwm

Michaelwm Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +28
    I have made a quick "base" in singleplayer
    It has 3 different levels of trading
    Simple - 2 player object money simple trading
    Mediocre - 2 player object - money trading, with an easier door opening system ;D Not much different then simple
    Advanced - 2 player object - object safe trading (sethbling on youtube made this ;] I made it a bit better ;])

Download it here!
    Just drag the folder into your saves folder, and your set :D
    If your wondering why everythings made out of sandstone, its because its very light and doesnt really blend in to be a "dark" block.