[Town Portal Address Suggestion]

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Relusto, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Relusto

Relusto Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +2
    Minecraft Name: Relusto
    Suggestion: Town Portal Addressing
    Reason: Basically giving an address of where a portal to a town is. In my concept of mind, it'd F<Floor Number(1-4 as of now)><Ring Letter(E,D,Y,W,B,R, Emerald, Diamond, Yellow, White, Blue, Red)><House Number(1-X, where X is the number of portals for that Color Ring)>
    So in Example,
    F1G8 or G8(F1 is implied) = Mineburgh
    F2R12 = Reaperville
    F1B26 = Rabinaster
    House number goes clockwise starting by where the portal for spawn be front of.How this helps people?
    1.) No need of someone with teleport if they don't have it to bring someone over.
    2.) It's made easy for a mass amount of people to find your town instead leading to the town or telling where a client to go for a trade or construction.
    3.) It's a simple format that doesn't cost much with only a few signs to play on the portals.
    Any Other Information: This system that I made up, basically tells people where they can find a person's town and even put it in the forums or trade chat saying, "I'm selling house plots in Rabinaster, portal F1L26, come on by!" or Storage Wars at Portal F2W6, come on down and win some vaults!"

Link To This Plugin: No plug-in required. Merely have signs above the portal for it's number.

#1 Relusto, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  2. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    Sometimes I find it hard to express just how much I like or appreciate a certain suggestion. This is only of those times. Some people would just post "+99999" and some people would just say "YES YES YES".

That's pretty much how I feel.

This suggestion is like the best thing anyone can every think of. Lets add it.

3. 7airlinepilot

7airlinepilot Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +35
    Agreed

4. Jrg5978

Jrg5978 Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +627
    I like this. Can't see any downsides to it. +1

5. generaljoecool

generaljoecool Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +180
    While I do like this suggestion, one thing that is left out is the new portal building is divided into four quadrants( Coal, nqaurtz, sandstone, circlestone) on top of the rows. Which if we were to number it in this way, needs to be included imo.

While there are no other downsides to it, besides the implementation time of it. As if you know the floor, row and quadrant, there is at most fourteen portals (assuming it was on the redstone row) less if on a different row.

6. Intellectualist

Intellectualist Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +470
    Alright alright, as long as it can get working I don't care how it's done :p

And the benefits minus time = quite worth it.

7. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    The only problem I can see with this is that it can be confusing for new players.
    A new player seeing "F2W7" would have no idea what that means, although people can explain it to the person, it's easier if it's intuitive from the beginning. I'm not quite sure how, but I'm sure that with some more thinking we can get an easier solution.
    How the portals are sectioned now is.
    Floor;Quarter/row
    For example, my own portal is on floor 1, redstone and circle brick. This in itself is already confusing.

What we could do is use numbers.
    Floor 1, row 4, portal 8
    or shortly said 1:4:8, this way of numbering is fairly similar to what a lot of schools use. (<Floor><Classroom>)
    Then have a portalroom floor with no portals in it, just an explanation how this numbering system works on signs.
    And a wall with warp signs to each floor.
    Then we also should have signs marking each row, possible even marking each portal with their address (Would increase the workload on andrew/sky, though.)

This way when new players enter this portal building, they will immediately understand how this system works and are easily able to find the portals.

8. Revanrose6

Revanrose6 Sith Lord
    ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,306
    I'm currently making a chart to find the locations of town portals. For example, it will say

Welkin - WelkinGate Floor 1, Emerald/Coal

9. Relusto

Relusto Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, I see, yea, that would be confusing for new players and such. So I guess Kuke's way would work.
    Portal <Floor #>.<Row #>.<Place on the row #> Which my portal name would be Portal 1.5.26, if we do it clockwise of where the portal to spawn is facing in front of.

As for workload, let's see what would be needed to be done.
    • putting up a Portal Tutorial Room.
    • putting up all the signs or changing all the Portalsigns with like RabiGate to the address.
    • Creating a Wikia page of directory of all Portal places and such.( I'm currently in Visual Basics classes, so I could probably create an application that shows where the address goes to and what town information the owner or I can scratch up. To make it easier or such. )

10. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    the first thing is practically no work.

The second part looks like the most time consuming thing, Although, all that's needed is a sign with a coordinate on each portal. But it would need to be doublechecked.
    Also, a sign in the walkways that tells you what portal numbers are in that row in that quarter.

The last part is probably better if it was done in Javascript, have a list of coordinates and an image, then people can type in their coordinates and it would point out which floor and where on the floor. Also, this probably needs to be built on a separate website. (or built into a custom html page on the forums)

Not necesarily, it would be useful if someone were to make a map, though. (a map that shows only coordinates)