Accepted Suggestion [Zoning Law Amendment]

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jmichael214, Mar 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmichael214

jmichael214 Back Again, Apparently
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    OK, so here is the current zoning law as it relates to towns being placed near each other:

• When placing a town, you must be at least 15 blocks away from any other town on all sides of your town
      • The exception to this is if you receive a neighbouring town owner’s permission by means of them posting in your application thread, in which case you may place your towns within 15 blocks of their town. You must receive permission from every town owner that you are within 15 blocks of.
      • The town owner giving permission must be the applicant owner of the town.
    We have a lot of inactive applicant owners of towns, and it's tying up a lot of potential real estate. Further, we have a lot of players who "own" towns for inactive players, and who are the real owner, but not the "official" one. Why does this matter? Well, it came to my attention again recently when I found open space near Rising spawn and my spawntown of Zenith. I could fit in a new town up against one of @Nicit6's, right near Zenith, and ... whoops, Nicit's not the "applicant owner," so I have to wait for a player who is banned to approve the placement of my new town. This is of significance because it's near spawn, and every block counts, and because it's silly.

We could make one of two amendments to this rule without violating the spirit of the rule. I propose that the server adopt one of the following:

A. That any owner of a neighboring town can approve the placement of a neighboring town if the "official" owner has been inactive for a certain length of time, like 30 days.
    B. That the zoning law be changed from an "opt-in" to an "opt-out." In other words, once a player proposes to place a neighboring town within 15 blocks, the official owner of the first town has a period of time to raise an objection -- again, say 30 days. If the official owner raises an objection, no new town there. If they do not raise one, then the town can be placed. Making the waiting period long protects the rights of the first owner, but also doesn't hold valuable real estate hostage to inactive players.

Either of these proposals would balance protecting the rights of inactive owners with the present interest of the server in having active players found new towns, better than the current law does. The current law is too tilted toward the inactive player.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. RyanBlocks2

RyanBlocks2 EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +946
    +1, please

3. Chundi_Jr

Chundi_Jr Ex-Rebecca
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VII ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,994
    +1 this should've happened a long time ago

4. Hackney_Builder

Hackney_Builder Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +205
    +100000, as there is an old inactive farm near Jarton, fantasticos and I want to place my town there.

5. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,302
    I'm not in favor of further complicating the zoning system by adding a bunch of "ifs" to it. Just simplify things and completely scrap the zoning system; It literally serves no purpose and all it does it makes users who want to expand their towns angry.

6. Babylonian_

Babylonian_ Builder

Ratings:
    +235
    +1
    really smart

7. BaccaAMP

BaccaAMP Bacca Mafia
    EcoMaster ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +751
    +1 I usually don't agree with you jmich but on this, I do +1

8. Drewbo_

Drewbo_ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    eh +1/-1 If your computer breaks then someone can troll you buy putting their town next to yours

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  9. a_man21

a_man21 a_manda
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,311
    love this idea. I can't place my president town or even apply since a mayor in my nation is deployed and staff doesn't make any exceptions.

10. rockboy2000

rockboy2000 Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +310
    The only issue with B is the 30 day wait, do you really want to have to wait 30 days for your president/mayor/town application to be accepted?

I do prefer A, perhaps we can make it a little like our town claim rule. If the town has no active owners (e.g. permanently banned or offline/inactive for a period of months) then no permission is required to build next to it?

Any complaints of it being over complicated are simply stupid, it would be no more complicated than our town claim rule. Scraping the system may annoy town owners who would prefer a bit of space from their towns.

#10 rockboy2000, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  11. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,302
    It further complicates the town placement system regardless - Why aim for complexity when you can make it even more simple? Anyway, if a town owner is going to be annoyed about a town right next to them, they're still going to be annoyed regardless if it's 15 blocks away from them.

12. Masonrf

Masonrf Builder

Ratings:
    +298
    +1 it makes sense and I see no reason why this should not be accepted. I think A would be a better option though.

13. SuburbSomeone

SuburbSomeone Shrubby Tycoon
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +6,479
    I would like to see Option A if it is changed to all current ingame and legal owners not including the original applicant, and the timeframe would be the month in which you specified.

#13 SuburbSomeone, Mar 28, 2016
  14. Baccuus

Baccuus President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐

Ratings:
    +130
  15. StingyPvP

StingyPvP Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +58
    +1 for this idea, I agree

16. polltax

polltax seldom right but never in doubt
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +466
    +1. It's only fair!

17. nikalsaki

nikalsaki Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +22
    How about instead of a 30 day objection period, I propose a different opt-in/out thing. So when you apply for a town, you can opt-in to current zoning laws, which means no future towns can be within 15 blocks of yours, or you can opt-out to zoning laws, which means that future towns can be within 15 blocks if they so please.

I hereby co-sponsor this proposed amendment, signed this 28th day of March in the year of two thousand and sixteen at precisely twenty hours and fifty nine minutes past midnight.

#17 nikalsaki, Mar 28, 2016
  18. dgam02

dgam02 ♫ Shitposting Ex-SA ♫
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,377
    +1 This is a fantastic suggestion that needs to be implemented in order to cope with the growing amount of towns in both our worlds. Should not be such a pain to place a town without the permission of an inactive user.

19. Nate1450

Nate1450 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +475
  20. EraNow

EraNow President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,312
    It's to give power to the owner who was in that area first. If I place a town as a mayor, and want to place a town as a present next to it, I should have priority over the random person placing their town their. At least that's it's intention.

But I do agree with the suggestion, in certain circumstances it's best if the town is just placed. Those circumstances are when the mayor just simply isn't there to give a reply.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.