[Suggestion] Region Rename Option

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by will_the_warrior, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will_the_warrior

will_the_warrior Wealthy Warrior
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +169
    Minecraft Name: will_the_warrior

Suggestion: Bringing back the option to rename a particular region for an additional fee (around $10k). I know this used to be an option but was removed some time ago.

Reason: I think that bringing back this feature would make a lot of towns more active. There are a lot of users on ECC that have towns that they purchased from other users. They are stuck with the names of these towns and can't do anything about it. This option would also resolve my other suggestion of custom warps, found here. As @Revanrose6 stated in the comments, there was some concern with custom warps using names that are not towns, which may cause problems for future users. This would allow users to change the name of their town first and then apply for warps, preventing this issue.

There was also some talk regarding the staff members that would perform this action. After thinking it over, it would likely be a GA+ duty, per Andrew's approval. Just as other region abilities (town creation, town portals, etc.), there would have to be a week wait time possible. I don't see too many of these coming in at one time, so it shouldn't be too much of an overload on the GA's. The other thing that @kukelekuuk00 stated was the removing of users from the region when renaming the town (as the region has to be deleted and recreated). This would simply have to be resolved as the town eviction notices. If there is anybody added to the region, they would have to be given proper notice on a forum thread before the rename is able to be done and given adequate time to remove all personal belongings. The user applying for the rename would then be able to readd whoever they wish upon completion.

Link To This Plugin: n/a

#1 will_the_warrior, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  2. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,060
    Protecting regions doesn't alter the terrain whatsoever. Anything in the area would remain unchanged, it would just be unprotected very briefly while the region is being renamed.

3. will_the_warrior

Ratings:
    +169
    Good to know, I was under the impression that everything would be set back to default once the region was deleted.

#3 will_the_warrior, May 17, 2014
  4. ScoobieBoy

ScoobieBoy Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +10
    +1
    The user adding / deleting should not be huge issue, since I for one would use this feature when I buy a new town, so most if not all users would removed anyway.

5. Nate1450

Nate1450 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +475
    +1 Like the idea a lot!

6. oreo1227

oreo1227 ℓαριѕ ℓαzυℓι
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,193
    +1227 for sure. I have run into issues like this before where I need it...

7. 314

314 Irrational Moderator, former ServerAdmin
    Moderator EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $1,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    *Smashes the support button*

Wonderful idea!

8. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    If you are suggesting the option to change the town name, I'm not a real fan of it. I feel that it would take a lot of work in order to be done, as well as being a problem for the future. Also, if this were to be implemented, it should cost $50k+. This seems like to big of a headache to be handled. I'm sorry but, -1.

9. will_the_warrior

Ratings:
    +169
    It is actually rather simple to do, but thanks for you opinion.

10. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    I like the idea but, I feel that it could cause some problems for the future.

11. will_the_warrior

Ratings:
    +169
    Care to expand?

12. oreo1227

oreo1227 ℓαριѕ ℓαzυℓι
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,193
    It can't mess with the future. If people do /rg i, it will show up still.

13. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Sorry, I was AFK there. Any way, one problem this could cause is the name-changes. Let's say the town "America" changes it's name. This could cause the problem when a user comes back, they wouldn't know the town name, and also, how would the warp be changed? Would this be done in the process?
    Sure, if a user goes inactive, then comes back and tries to find a town thats name was changed.

14. will_the_warrior

Ratings:
    +169
    It's likely that a user that goes inactive for that long is removed from the town anyways. Still, as mentioned in the suggestion, the owner of the town would be required to tag all users on the forums so they would know.

In terms of the warp, that is based off the region name, so that would changed in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 will_the_warrior, May 17, 2014
  15. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Okay, you semi-convinced me on the idea :p.

16. Revanrose6

Revanrose6 Sith Lord
    ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,306
    Problems. So many problems.

Hokay. So first of all I disagree with this suggestion on many levels for many reasons. Most basic being that currently only Andrewkm can delete regions besides PvP arenas. Although I trust the GA's and myself, I feel this is easily and highly abusable. It also could end up in a very big catastrophe which could end in users losing belongings/towns/etc. One accidental command later and your town is gone. Even if we put the town back, all your users are gone.

Secondly, I must say from experience that tracking a town thats had name changes is insanely hard to do.
    Example: http://www.ecocitycraft.com/wiki/index.php?title=Edelweiss

I think this should not happen because of complications, the possibility of more work for andrew etc.

Also, ontop of that, if it was implemented I would say it should be half the cost of the original town if now 2/3rds considering it takes the same amount of effort as making the town in the first place.

Revan

17. Skylexia

Skylexia Redstone God
    SuperMod EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VII ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +744
    My biggest issue with this, besides everything Revan's pointed out which is 100% accurate and I won't bother reiterating, is the fact that everything that's been applied for for a particular town that uses the town name, including portals, town-town portals, and warps, would have to be changed over. The charge for this would have to be a lot higher in order to compensate for the work and paperwork disaster this would become.

18. MsMoofin

MsMoofin (Don't) Paddle (the) Cow

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +829
    I believe that in the past, when town name changes were possible, someone lost complete protection of their town because someone changed their town name to an already taken name... Or something along those lines... (And I remember the issues with reclaiming towns with restarted maps... lol.)

Revan and Sky have mentioned most of the major issues with renaming regions (towns). However, there are still smaller issues... Multiple worlds (Legacy and Rising), trying to check if a town name is already taken (time-consuming more than anything; check both worlds, hope people spelled the town name with/without spaces on the forum, etc), users coming back online and suddenly having no idea why /rg no longer works...

Reasons against this suggestion are just some of the reasons why region (town) name changing was taken out by Andrew. I believe he has technical reasons as well.. Pretty much every suggestion on adding it back has been denied. :/

#18 MsMoofin, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  19. sthegreat2

sthegreat2 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️

Ratings:
    +32
    I'm going to +1 this, but to compensate for all the paperwork it should be at least 50k.

20. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Convinced me back to my original standpoint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.