Denied [Suggestion]Put the cussing rule back to the way it was

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by physyy, Jun 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knears2000

knears2000 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +1,958
    As well, if you were really annoyed by the screenshot, all you have to do is file a complaint for trolling, since that is obvious trolling.

2. TheBuckeye11

TheBuckeye11 Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +184
    +1 or add a swear filter

3. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +778
    Much has been said, I agree that kids don't need to be protected from the curse words they speak themselves, on the contrary: maybe they could teach us some. And I also agree that it's... annoying to see what was shown in Phys' screnshot.
    I'll add just a few things:
    1. if you curse because you want to convey more meaning to a sentence, swapping a "fuck" with a "f**k" conveys exactly the same, while if you curse for the sake of it you won't like your "fuck" being replaced with "f**k";
    2. if you don't curse for the sake of it, it probably just slipped off your fingers because of some context that triggered it, or maybe you just thought you were typing in a private channel;
    3. staff has much more important things to do than going around discerning upset people from silly brats and slapping the latter on their wrists.
    Therefore the most logical thing to do is to establish a filter and put a stop to this useless fuss over something very annoying but after all almost harmless.

4. TheBuckeye11

TheBuckeye11 Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +184
    Well come to my school for a day if you want to learn some, some of the kids that go there are really uh troubled.

Anyways

Even though us kids may hear or say them doesn't mean that it is okay.

#44 TheBuckeye11, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  5. ScopicX

ScopicX Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +854
    Us kids need to learn that swearing is bad

+1

6. padsen

padsen Glory to Arstotzka!
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,650
    +1 for reasons

7. jwpwns

jwpwns ECC Sponsor
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    -1 mods already warn enough 99% of the time for words that are not even close to bad
    Will Explain more tomorrow.

#47 jwpwns, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  8. Mission001

Mission001 Ex-EcoLegend HⱻặĐHůƞẗǝɍ
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $495
    Ratings:
    +6,484
    The swear filter with an opt in is coming,
    It'll be here soon I guess, we just have to be patient

I don't mind swearing, but I don't need to see it in chat every few minutes, currently I just ignore those people, but like we discussed before, a swear filter would be nice with an opt out for those who don't mind it :)

9. Whammerist5

Whammerist5 ø☗ø Guardian ø☗ø
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +839
    +1
    I don't see who the rule change helped.
    I swear, I have slip-ups, I'm a normal human being.
    But I also use my basic common sense and haven't been warned for swearing once.
    More power to the people who volunteer to moderate this server IMO, if you don't trust them don't have them.

10. strongpelt

strongpelt ~*Alaskan Sponsor*~
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,090
    Can i just point something out. It doesn't look like anything did change. Besides SOME of the admins behavior towards it. I still see people getting jumped by admins for cursing, and not even that much. One f word gets admins saying watch the langue. So... nothing changed? Correct? Or before did they get banned or something? Now a few admins simply don't really care if they see it. but that's a difference in admins not rule changes.

11. SuburbSomeone

SuburbSomeone Shrubby Tycoon

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +6,479
    Yeah, the implementation is really strange. People can say the f word repeatedly and not get warned but another person could say it once and get warned.

12. goblizz

goblizz The One and Only

Ratings:
    +1,576
    Well that case isn't an issue of the rule necessarily, rather than an issue of poor enforcement by the mods.

Gonna be honest, the only decision that will make everyone happy is an opt-out filter. Having a blanket, no-opt filter is a bad idea and will just result in people circumventing it. No filter requires equal enforcement across moderators, which according to what I have read is inconsistent. You have an opt-out filter...the people who swear can, the people who don't want to see it don't have to, and the mods don't have to catch every little swear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. SuburbSomeone

SuburbSomeone Shrubby Tycoon

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +6,479
    Feel like opt-in would be better for new players to see but I agree with the opting filter idea.

14. oootopia

oootopia Utopian

Ratings:
    +4,954
    The problem with the inconsistent moderation is unfortunately, there was no announcement on our end or formal rule change, even now. In fact the way I found out was via a screenshot from a regular user. Therefore some of the moderator still have no clue wtf is going on. There has been a broken link in the chain.

I agree with the spirit of we should allow cursing in moderation. I am offended and a bit mind boggled by how this has been carried out. I am spending a lot of time slamming my face into my desk right now. If we are going to do this, very well, but my god let's do it in an orderly fashion. Let's start by doing that and then we can see what is good for the server. Today there was an outburst and the moderation handled it as well as they could but I saw the user count drop by 20 in the span of minutes. This is bad for the server. I don't mind a f**k here and a f**ck there censored or not there but as of now, this is bad.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    #54 oootopia, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  15. strongpelt

Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,090
    That... Thats really bad... Wtf, that should never happen. I thought all admins got informed about it o-o now the differences make sense.

16. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,290
    Unfortunately Phys, it seems that this is not going to change in the near future. Perhaps you could file a complaint when you see activity like this instead?
    I also hate to see this happening myself. The adults and immature kids in our community are not considerate enough to think about our younger players whose parents do still monitor activities and realize quickly this is not the family server it once used to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  17. oootopia

oootopia Utopian

Ratings:
    +4,954
    Ah, yeah. I might get black bagged and thrown into a van for saying it but... there it is.

*waits to get deleted* (jk lol ...hopefully)

• Potato Potato x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    #57 oootopia, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  18. VivienLeigh

VivienLeigh Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +183
    I witnessed this firsthand yesterday, when a moderator was all alone, and some of the veteran players thought it would would be a great idea to swear excessively, and because the mod spoke to them about it, they got even more hostile, to the point where I almost felt like reporting them for harassing the staff member. Its stressful for staff because people throw it into their face, and they aren't really sure how to act, and I think there is no reason that staff should have to deal with this kind of bullshit behavior, because there are players yelling at them either way: either they are being too strict on the swearing and people go up in arms about that, or they are being too lenient on the swearing, and a different group of people goes up in arms about that. I also saw a couple of arguments today about whether or not a swear is being directed at somebody or not, for instance when a person lets out a FU@# after loosing a survival games game, is that directed at the killer or just out of frustration? In addition, there seems to be a trend where a new player will say a swear, then the staff will tell them not to direct it at anybody, then people jokingly direct it at themselves, clogging the chat up with unnecessary vulgarity and spam. So one way or another I would like to see some concrete rules given to the staff so that there isn't this constant bickering every time a swear appears in chat, or hostility directed towards a mod every time he or she does or does not act upon the swearing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. strongpelt

Ratings:
    +2,090
    That should be extremely easy to tell... If it didn't have an er after it then thats frustration.

20. ScopicX

ScopicX Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +854
    I have to agree. My 5 year old brother plays on this server occasionally as well, and I do not want him to be exposed to such language, so I have to turn the chat off for him every time. I get the sense that since Andrew always swears, he thinks everyone else should too. I'm not putting the blame on him. He can swear all he wants, but making it so that we can ALL swear is just plain stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.