Denied [Suggestion]Put the cussing rule back to the way it was

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by physyy, Jun 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. physyy

physyy Retired ECC Owner
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,033
    Minecraft Name:
    physyy
    Suggestion:
    Enforce the rule that we had which did not allow for strong words such as f**k and b***h at all in chat as it will become an issue and will cause people to either leave or not be allowed to be logged into a place with such vulgarity. I am an adult and don't want to see all this crap all the time in chat myself.
    Reason:
    Because I don't want to see chat looking like this everytime I log in.
    [​IMG]

Other Information:
    This has always been a family friendly server and this is not family friendly at all. The rule on enforcement was fine just the way it was. People could say minor words such as a** and s**t with slips here and there being fine. Freely allowing strong words is just not a good idea.

• Agree x 25
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Potato x 1
    • List
  2. Reincarnated_

Reincarnated_ Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +1,333
    +1.
    Immature kids like me can't be exposed to this stuff.

• Potato Potato x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. RyanBlocks2

RyanBlocks2 EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +946
    I don't think it should be put back the way it was because everyone was uptight about everything but clearly something needs to be done that screen is pretty rediculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    #3 RyanBlocks2, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  4. AllThingsGo

AllThingsGo Chun-Li Moderator
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +703
    We use the same texture pack!!+1 btw

5. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925

This is the current rule. What changed?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. physyy

physyy Retired ECC Owner

Ratings:
    +2,033
    What changed is that staff are no longer enforcing this.

7. LTPfiredemon

LTPfiredemon Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +96
    Swearing is fine when it's purely contextual and not overused, these people are clearly not using it how they should be and are swearing "just cus" it's not a good attitude to have for these people and it ruins chat for others but when it's very casual not very often swearing that's contextual I feel like it's fine +0

8. Babylonian_

Babylonian_ Builder

Ratings:
    +235
    Why don't we just make a filter?

9. jmichael214

jmichael214 Back Again, Apparently
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    I have said it before, and I will say it again: allowing swearing "within reason" on a Minecraft server is like handing a loaded gun to a 4-year-old and saying "use your better judgment."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Potato Potato x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,098
    Yes I agree with this comparison.

In fact J walking across the street is like joining a terrorist organization.

Eating meat is like murdering little children freely!

Stepping on a spider is like bashing a homeless man with a refrigerator!

Let's all compare things to non relevant extremes!
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Potato Potato x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
    #10 andrewkm, Jun 11, 2016
  11. Reincarnated_

Reincarnated_ Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +1,333
    I don't even know what's happening anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Potato Potato x 2
    • List
  12. physyy

physyy Retired ECC Owner

Ratings:
    +2,033
    Jm actually does make a good point and if a lighter comparison is needed then it's like handing a kid a bowl of candy and telling them it's ok to eat it but to take care not to eat too much. More often than not they will eat it all as fast as they can and get sick. And the complaining along with it will bring those around them down.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    Being one who had pushed for more leniency on staff enforcement regarding cursing, I don't think there should be any change. Simply put, all that needs to be done is leave it to staff discretion. These people are clearly in violation of trolling and the common sense rule, thus having them warned. Why they weren't, I don't know, but they should be given they are in violation of multiple rules. Thus, simply having people use swears in moderation is no problem, but excessive use leads to players being violation of multiple rules.

14. KingNdm

KingNdm ECC Sponsor
    ECC Sponsor Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,495
    This literally puts almost everyone at a disadvantage here andrewkm.

Staff, staff now have to deem what vulgar language is excessive or not? Do you realize how hard that is? Why give them more work just to allow swearing on your server because your argument is that it's the "internet".

You said with this new rule there would at least be a chat filter, but yet you've jumped the gun and changed the rule before you gave the users an opt out? There are little kids who come on here because it's a family friendly server.... Screw them right or screw the option of a chat filter right?

What users are you trying to attract with this rule change anyways? Users who feel the need to swear in chat? Toxic users who will swear just because they can..... This will only hurt the community in the long run and attract the wrong users.

You say excessive swearing isn't allowed, swearing itself is excessive..... I have no idea how you can tell your staff team to moderate what's excessive and just leave them with this new rule, it's plain stupid.

I really think this needed to be more planned out, please log into ECC with this new rule change. I can assure you 90% of the swear words are excessive.

Now I don't care if people swear, I do it as well, but on ECC? No. It shouldn't be deemed okay to use vulgar language.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. KingNdm

KingNdm ECC Sponsor
    ECC Sponsor Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,495
    Pretty fking sad when your own staff members are agreeing to this suggestion. @andrewkm

• Potato Potato x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  16. strongpelt

strongpelt ~*Alaskan Sponsor*~
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,077
    -1, For one, cursing is kinda a fact of life. I cant walk down the street without hearing some kind of swear. And that candy explanation... i dunno. I'v actually seen a lot of kids pretty responsible. Yes, those ones in the screenshot should've been warned. That's not gonna be the normal though, everyone seemed to find out it was okay suddenly so ofc there gonna say it excessively a bit. Also, the f word is one of the most common. I say leave the rules how it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
    #16 strongpelt, Jun 11, 2016
  17. a18greek18

a18greek18 Former EcoLeader

EcoDollars:
    $52,000
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    Just add a swear filter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  18. knears2000

knears2000 Builder

Ratings:
    +1,958
    @Ndm57dcraft, I'll respond to your post in sections, as that is how your structured your post.

It's not all that difficult to discern "moderation" from trolling. For example, if state, "What the f--- man? Why'd you kill me?", would that not be in moderation? Consequently, if in the same situation I say in chat, "S--- man, you're a f------ a------ and I hope you f------ burn in hell!" That would be excessive, correct? While I agree that this will lead to inconsistencies, I think that using a word repeatedly in a short period of time, or a string thereof, would be excessive. And no, the internet is not a safe space for you, or for anyone.

I can't respond to that given I was not aware a chat filter was going to be given an option in-game. As well, to everyone who uses the "little kids" argument, please stop. I am yet to find a seven year old who plays on the server, or even a nine or 10 year old for that matter. And by that age, it's extremely, extremely rare for kids to not already know the swears.

I don't think he's trying to attract anyone, I believe it is more to allow players to express their feelings without the need of reprimanding them. These "toxic users" you speak of who would be "swearing repeatedly and excessively" would be in violation of the trolling rule, common sense rules, and the cursing rule itself. As well, this is not going to attract anyone, nor repel anyone. It simply allows users to express their feelings. Again, excessive use, warning. Moderation, no warning. It is not that difficult to understand.

You need to explain how "swearing itself is excessive". I'll leave you with the definitions of "swearing" and "excessive", and then please tell me how you came to the conclusion that swearing itself is excessive, because I sure as hell didn't.
    We also have rules that need staff discretion to rule. For example, harassment and trolling. There is not handbook on how to deal with harassment and trolling situations, other than what the particular staff member believes is and is not harassment and trolling, is that not correct? The way those situations are handled with discretion would be dealt with in the same manner as swearing rules.

Fair enough, but don't try to show yourself as impartial by saying that you swear, but you don't think it should be allowed, it really doesn't work in an argument.

I encourage you to respond to me, and anyone for that matter. Critiques and criticisms are encouraged.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  19. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ

Ratings:
    +6,925
    I haven't noticed much change, I've seen people get warned for that shit in the last few days. Unless it changed literally today.

20. xX3PICREBELXx

Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,608
    None of this would be an issue if we had a swear filter...... At least we have our lotto boosters...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.