Denied [Suggestion] Make proposed Wiki edits style different

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by CreativeCoder, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CreativeCoder

CreativeCoder Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +61
    Minecraft Name:
    CreativeCoder

Suggestion:
    To make the proposed wiki edits on the wiki. Possibly something similar to Github, where each 'proposed file change' is shown as follows:

(obviously it wouldn't be lines of code, but lines of text for the wiki)
    I feel like it may be much more convenient for us to use a similar structure, where each player could submit a request, and staff could accept/reject requests? It would be easier for people to go to the page and easily see whats being added/removed and make comments on those.

Reason: It might make it easier, I'm open to alternative ideas to make it even easier.

Any Other Information: No

Link To This Plugin/Is this a custom addition?: I'm not sure how this would be implemented?

#1 CreativeCoder, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  2. KingCharlie9

KingCharlie9 EcoPremiumPrestigeLegendTycomaster
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +526
    -1 Not everyone knows the code used on the wiki.
    (I do though :p )

3. CreativeCoder

CreativeCoder Builder

Ratings:
    +61
    Can you please expand on this a little more? I don't exactly understand what you mean. It would be the lines of text like on the current wiki instead of code. It's just been implemented on GitHub which is of a similar style which is why I've added this example. Can you expand on "the code used on the wiki" specifically?

Thanks

4. KingCharlie9

KingCharlie9 EcoPremiumPrestigeLegendTycomaster
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +526
    Well idk if its really code tbh but...
    HTML:
    __NOTOC__
    [[File:Wiki_Banner.png|center]]
    <br />
    {| border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" align="Center"
    |-
    | style="background: #239FD3; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc; vertical-align: top" width="20%" |
    <div style="text-align: center; font-size:18px;"><p><b>[[File:15me73l.png‎]]</b></p></div>
    | style="background: #BC1216; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc; vertical-align: top" width="33%"; colspan=2;  |
    <div style="text-align: center; font-size:18px;"><p><b>[[File:Hwl9xw.png‎‎]]</b></p></div>
    | style="background: #44C018; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc; vertical-align: top" width="20%" |
    <div style="text-align: center; font-size:18px;"><p><b>[[File:2mee3y9.png‎]]</b></p></div>

|-
    | rowspan=3 style="padding: 5px 8px 5px 8px; border: 1px solid #ccc; vertical-align: top" width="20%" |
    ==='''Main Pages'''===
    Shit like <b> and <p> and <div> etc are thing some might not full understand.

5. CreativeCoder

CreativeCoder Builder

Ratings:
    +61
    I see what you mean. Maybe couple it with an easy-to-use interface and also an editor like the ECC editor we're using on the forums?

Also, won't staff members be the ones to do the formatting rather than the players? Maybe allow players to make textual edits and staff can format appropriately?

btw I think the above is markup syntax, not code?

#5 CreativeCoder, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  6. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,060
    You're basically asking for all players to be able to edit the wiki with administrative oversight.

That's the only way for the functionality you're asking for.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. CreativeCoder

CreativeCoder Builder

Ratings:
    +61
    I feel like I am having trouble conveying what I mean. I mean to say that players can make proposed edits and view these proposed edits like in the original picture, but staff will be the ones doing the accepting/rejecting of proposed edits and doing the formatting for the proposals.

8. JamieSinn

JamieSinn Retired Lead Administrator/Developer
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,588
    That's not wiki markup. That's html. Look at what media wiki uses to format, it's not HTML

9. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,060
    I get what you're asking for however there are only two ways to accomplish that -
    1) using the wiki software
    2) requiring people submitting to manually format their posts like that

Given that the (2) option really just discourages people from submitting that leaves the (1) option, which requires a massive overhaul of how we actually use the wiki.

Unless what you mean is custom code some way that allows that kind of thing in forum posts, but that just isn't realistic

10. CreativeCoder

CreativeCoder Builder

Ratings:
    +61
    That is what I mean.

If it is too much work, I am happy to chip in some work/help to do this, otherwise if it is still not too feasible, then I think we can leave this suggestion for now.

11. JamieSinn

JamieSinn Retired Lead Administrator/Developer
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,588
    Forums are in a code freeze, and we're not going to do something this custom at all.
    Wiki and forums are separated, and will remain that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.