Denied [Suggestion] Language-other-than-English Wiki

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by SimsElemental, Jun 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimsElemental

SimsElemental Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +1,212
    Minecraft Name:
    SimsElemental

Suggestion:
    I am suggesting that we have multiple wiki language options for the wider variety of players, both new and old.

Reason:
    I think that we should have various language versions of the wiki because many a time a player needs more information than what we can simply give them in game or via the tutorial, and the wiki is usually the place to go, except if you aren't a great English speaker yourself. One may argue that a users browser may automatically translate things to their own language, but how can we know this? Having a list of different wiki options for other popular language's would be helpful in keeping new players and current, one's who aren't great at comprehending English but still want to experience and know about our server.

This idea sparked to me when a builder was confused and overwhelmed with the amount of information given in the tutorial, and they clearly didn't speak very good English (they asked to speak Spanish). They wanted to know more about the server, how it works, how to earn money etc. but couldn't comprehend the information. Even if we made a more simple copy of the wiki for a few different languages just to start with, it would really help with keeping more newbies on the server.

Other Information:
    This would require a lot of work from the community and staff members of ECC to put together, I know and I have thought about this. We already have many players that speak both English and one or more other language, and I believe we can find a way to make this possible to help out new and current players.

Link to this plugin/Is this a custom addition?:
    N/A

2. 314

314 Irrational Moderator, former ServerAdmin
    Moderator President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $1,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,893
    Number of confirmed volunteers for a German wiki: 1. :p

I like the idea. Occasionally I see players at spawn that don't have any proper knowledge of English; it would be a good idea to have at least some of the most relevant pages in multiple languages.

3. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,302
    We're an English speaking server, though. Wouldn't it be a bit contradictory if we ban speaking English on the forums/global channels ingame, but we have an entire wiki in other languages?

I think that simplifying the wiki would be better. Many pages in the wiki are currently needlessly long and complex (and there aren't that many helpful pages at all, for the matter), which makes it harder for younger users/users who don't speak English well to comprehend the wiki. This helps lessen the problem with both younger users and users who don't speak English well while not being needlessly contradictory and requiring lots of work.

After all, younger players and players who don't speak good English are a large part of our player base, and it'd be unwise to prioritize one of the other, or just ignore them both.

• Like Like x 4
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #3 UnitedStates2, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  4. Vintage_Gamer

Vintage_Gamer Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,219
    I feel like this is the best way forward. Keeping things short and simple makes things a lot easier to understand.

5. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    The wiki isn't even complete in English. It contains little information and is generally unhelpful. All it does contain is applications, basically.

Not to mention ECC is an English-speaking server. Let's keep it all nice and English. Dedicating time and effort into something that will be practically unused is silly.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #5 kukelekuuk, Jun 4, 2016
  6. ChefCraft19

ChefCraft19 Microsoft Excel Certified
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VIII ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +433
    As the others stated, were an English speaking server, so let's focus on that wiki. Although it's not always 100% accurate, Google Translate is close enough for non-English speakers to use to understand basic information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  7. SimsElemental

SimsElemental Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +1,212
    My suggestion isn't in any way to allow players to openly speak their languages on the server in game (or on the forums), this is just an easier way to convey information about the server in a language they would be more comfortable understanding. I'm suggesting this so we can be more fair to the users who don't have a server to go to as great as ECC, that can accomodate their own language even in the smallest way, and that offers to give information in a language they more confidently speak.

I'm all for making the wiki simpler and easier to understand for any user, it would be great if it had less mumble and more down to business on there too.

I don't know if I've entirely worded my suggestion well, but pointers for people of different language speaking countries would help boost game play and how fun it is for them. They may learn over time how to communicate better, but this would be something to start them off :)

#7 SimsElemental, Jun 4, 2016
  8. ScopicX

ScopicX Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +854
    -1 I doubt anyone even looks at the wiki. Good suggestion, though

9. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,091
    Not something I will dedicate anyones time to. We are an English speaking server, furthermore I am definitely not willing to deal with "But in my language that rule wasn't clarified the way it was in English, why am I in trouble?" etc.

Definitely will not happen.

#9 andrewkm, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.