Accepted [Network Wide Suggestion] No More Secret Unannounced Rule Changes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Nicit6, Oct 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    In Game Name:
    Nicit6
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    Network Wide
    Short title for your suggestion:
    No More Secret Unannounced Rule Changes
    What are you suggesting:
    Tell people other than staff when rules are changed. Preferably via general discussion.
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    Friday morning, the server rules were materially changed: [​IMG]

However, no announcement was posted in general suggestion (as the SAs stated they would do in the future). In fact, the change was not even mentioned in the discord #news channel. Staff, however, did attempt to enforce this rule change.

It's unrealistic to expect players to read the server rules in their entirety before they log in, every time they play.

This change did end up being reverted, changing the rules secretly a second time. This still sets a precedent, however, and not a good one.
    Other information:

Plugin or custom addition:

One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    #1 Nicit6, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  2. OConner1279

OConner1279 President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +624
    +1 shouldn't be that hard for someone to throw a message in discord, particularly if staff are going to be instructed to enforce that rule and thus notified about the changes.

Also, just wondering, why are the rules screenshotted in code format in the suggestion? More importantly, we are they different colors if they have the same rgb values :/

o_O 314 be ghosting

#2 OConner1279, Oct 5, 2020
  3. strongpelt

strongpelt ~*Alaskan Sponsor*~
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,065
    +1, its malicious to enforce a rule change that wasnt even announced. Start announcing when you change things in the rules, even if it seems minor.

4. 7amoodw

7amoodw Electrical and Electronics Engineer
    ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +5,209
    +100

Plus the change was vague and even staff were uninformed on how to handle certain situations

5. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    I bet that could have been avoided, or at least mitigated, by offering players a chance to ask questions about the rule change.

6. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,379
    The colors red and green indicate the removed and added content, the screenshot of "code" is a change history that is used to see changes.
    The rgb indicates the color of the text visible on the wiki-page itself, since the text color isn't being changed the rgb value remains the same.

Anyway, I won't derail the suggestion anymore.

Announced rule changes are +1

#6 ClarinetPhoenix, Oct 5, 2020
  7. BobbyBlack

BobbyBlack Community Spokesperson
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ XI ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,516
    +1, if u want rules to be enforced, the community needs to know the rules to begin with.

8. Mission001

Mission001 Ex-EcoLegend HⱻặĐHůƞẗǝɍ
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $495
    Ratings:
    +6,478
    Maybe a solution would be to post what was discussed and implemented from the Staff Meetings from week to week?

A bit like when there was a update to the old wiki, there was a thread people posted in when things were updated.
    That way the community can see what is being discussed and implemented. And also come to staff if you have any concerns or suggestions you'd like to raise at these meetings?

9. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6

Ratings:
    +8,058
    This is a level of transparency above what I'm asking for. I'd certainly be for it, but it goes above and beyond what I'm asking for here.

I don't see why I need to be staff to propose concerns or suggestions.

#9 Nicit6, Oct 5, 2020
  10. TaylorBros22

TaylorBros22 ***Ex-EcoLegend***
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,227
    @Nicit6 I think what Mission is saying here is that you can come to a staff member, I.e Forum PM or in game Pm if you have suggestions to raise, not actually become a staff member.

In terms of the suggestion, yes, rule changes should be made public to the player base.

#10 TaylorBros22, Oct 5, 2020
  11. Mission001

Mission001 Ex-EcoLegend HⱻặĐHůƞẗǝɍ
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $495
    Ratings:
    +6,478
    Yes what @TaylorBros22 said was what I meant. Apologies

And I don't see a issue with that level of transparency with the community, afterall, we are all here to play together and enjoy the experience, so everyone should know whats discussed and what being worked on.
    If there are some things that really need to be kept private for the sake of security and other things, then ofc they would be omitted from the update post.
    But transparency is key to bridge the gap of what some people believe to be a divide between Staff and player when there really should be one.

12. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6

Ratings:
    +8,058
    Ah my mistake.

Regarding the transparency, don't get me wrong: I absolutely agree with you. 100%. Transparency builds community trust, which ultimately is what is needed most to run the community.

The only reason I'm saying it's not what I'm asking for here is to underscore the incredibly low bar I'm asking the administration to clear.

More transparency is better and I'll take as much as I can get.

13. FuryFudge

FuryFudge IDK ask Fury
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,325
    There was a breakdown in communication with this one and we apologize for that. It wasn't meant to be a rule change, more of a clarification for staff on how to handle people spamming trade with ads for the same service (eg 5 people spamming "join sg 2" or something similar). We explained it poorly and because of this a couple staff members didn't enforce it as intended, but that is not their fault at all. Apologies again for the mistake, and appreciate the response.

We have been looking into ways to get more transparency between staff and the players and we'll hopefully be rolling that out either this week or next, we'll contact those who are interested to get some feedback on it just to get your views on it so hopefully it can work as intended! Send either SA a DM on Discord if you are interested and we'll get you together in a group chat to talk about it.

Marking as "Accepted"

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.