Denied [Network Wide Suggestion] Discussion of auto click&fish illegal

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jdawger, Aug 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,324
    In Game Name:
    Jdawger
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    Network Wide
    Short title for your suggestion:
    Discussion of auto click&fish illegal
    What are you suggesting:
    Make discussion on autoclickers and autofishers in global channel illegal, especially if they discuss which ones to use and how to use them, but keep it allowed in VIP and private channels.
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    As the rule states, auto clickers and auto fishing is legal as long as you are not afk during it. iirc, the reason this was changed is because of the gray area and "false bans" that the original auto click/fish rule caused.

Especially since they are still technically illegal, they should not be discussed in global past the fact they can be used if not afk because people could get the wrong impression and use them illegally
    Other information:
    I am suggesting this off a discussion that happened recently in chat as this seemed to be a gray area, causing half of those online to agree one way and half the other. Plus, it seems staff didn't really know either. One newer mod said it was fine and a vet smod said it should probably not be discussed, but wasn't sure either.

I think it shouldn't, but at the very least, this gray area should be addressed.
    Plugin or custom addition:

One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

• Potato Potato x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    #1 Jdawger, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  2. BobbyBlack

BobbyBlack Community Spokesperson
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ XI ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,517
    -1 auto fishing and auto clicking is not against the rules unless you are afk. Just because the staff team is not all on the same page doesn't mean something shouldnt be discussed in chat.

Maybe the suggestion should be for the staff members to know what is and isnt allowed so there isn't confusion on certain topics like this.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    #2 BobbyBlack, Aug 9, 2021
  3. blazwura97

Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ X ⭐⭐

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +691
    -1 for the actual suggestion. I don't see why it should be illegal to talk about something that's allowed to be used? That's like saying we aren't allowed to talk about optifine but it's also allowed?

The staff clearly need a refresher on the rules in this case. I have also see multiple discussions where the staff couldn't agree on what the rules are in this situation, so a refresher for them would sold the confusion in chat.

4. OConner1279

OConner1279 President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +626
    -1 I Need to ask for good autoclicking cps rates in chat every once in a while

5. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,324
    Apologies with wording and such with this suggestion. I was sleepy and half-distracted with a background discussion going on in discord while writing this suggestion. Thank you everyone for in input so far. I edited intentions a little, but I'm still going to respond quickly:
    The suggestion is for the staff members, but to also have upper staff quell this gray area for everyone. And as you mentioned, it is illegal if afk, but legal if not. I did change the suggestion a bit after reflection to suggest that we make discussion about these auto mods illegal in all channels except VIP and obviously the private channels. The purpose of this suggestion is to stop new players from seeing this discussion and using them for afk purposes (since, like you and I said, it is illegal if afk).

I know if I was newer to the server and I see discussion of the best auto fishing and auto clicking mods without staff intervening, I would assume they are all legal, afk and all (especially since most new or semi-new players don't read every detail of the rules). Obviously, if they specifically ask after seeing discussion if they are allowed, then staff would say they are legal if not afk, but staff would not state that unless someone asks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't optifine fully allowed? Auto clickers/fishers are only technically half allowed and are still technically illegal if used with their intentional purposes, and even that, they were made legal because some of those who were banned for automation claimed they were not technically afk and were in front of their computer the whole time, so the rule was changed to avoid the gray area and false bans.

You were a staff member before too, Blaz, so you can probably relate to how staff works. I agree staff needs a refresher, but you can probably agree that the way these changes seem to operate is by direct explanation to staff for some of the rule change, and whatever is left is to be assumed (like if discussion should be allowed in this case). This causes some rift between viewpoints based off how they assume the rule, which is then changed from a direct statement from upper staff.

Like in this situation (I'm assuming what happened), the rule was changed and staff was told that it is still illegal to use them if afk and legal if not afk, but upper staff never specifically specified if discussion of it should be allowed since it still falls under illegal automation (again, if the user is afk) and legal under the new rule. And because of this, assumptions are made on how to interpreted this, which causes half of the server to assume one thing and the other to assume the other. I made a suggestion since, in the discussion I was in last night, it was near 50/50 on the viewpoint from those who discussed.

Obviously, this will be specified when Andrew or Clar accepts or denies this suggestion, but I still think the discussion should stay out of global (again, VIP is fine because while it is a public channel, it is for our donors and has looser rules. And also private channels have basically no rules, so obviously it should still be allowed there).

I edited the suggestion after reflecting and a good night sleep. I realized that I meant global chat and every single public channel. As I stated many times in this response, I think it should still be allowed in VIP, private channels, and private messages. I just don't think it should be stated in the global channel (as well as trade, auction, and trivia, but those are wrong channels for discussion anyway).

• Potato Potato x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    #5 Jdawger, Aug 9, 2021
  6. jwpwns

jwpwns ECC Sponsor
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,629
    Going to be blunt here sry
    Your that bored you care what ppl talk about in chat? :D has no negative effects on the server just talking ab it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    #6 jwpwns, Aug 9, 2021
  7. OConner1279

OConner1279 President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +626
    Why do you want to paywall chat now

Besides 80-90% of people are in VIP 24/7 anyways do this is useless

#7 OConner1279, Aug 9, 2021
  8. MatthewStevenGo

MatthewStevenGo Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $9,469
    Ratings:
    +572
  9. kenny0011

kenny0011 Resident
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐

Ratings:
    +816

Outright banning discussion of certain things, particularly perfectly legal things, just causes a generally un fun chat environment for everyone involved, and just makes more unneeded verbals from staff (in of itself reducing the "power" of a verbal).

As for the whole autoclicker stuff, it remains a very grey area that no one really wants to touch with a 10ft pole. Looking at the exact wording of the rules (Anything that would give you an unfair advantage over other players is considered cheating. This can include client mods to generate items/money easier or faster than otherwise possible), I personally read that as actually something like autoclickers are not allowed. (Someone using an autoclicker at a mob farm is going to be able to click more consistently at a mob farm for much longer than someone who isn't). However, previous SA's and developers have typically taken a more lax approach to usage of non-afk autoclickers. The very "offhand comment" of allowing autoclickers has lead to staff (quite rightly) not having a clue on the legality of autoclickers, and preferring to err on the edge of caution. I have seen staff that have been publicly called out for stating the wrong information on autoclickers.

10. blazwura97

Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ X ⭐⭐

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +691
    Yeah, I guess I just don't get where you're going with this suggestion.

My example of how we're allowed to talk about Optifine was just an example of a legal topic, just like how we're allowed to talk about anything legal in chat. I don't understand why we would make bringing up legal things illegal? o_O

Yes, I was staff, I was also staff when this rule was "changed" and everyone was tagged and told about the changes. Regardless, the current staff are clearly in need of a refresher of the rules, I have seen the debates between them happening in global as they can never decide on if it's allowed or not (not saying it's the staff fault for not knowing, just that a reminder of the rules is clearly in order, and possibly edits to the wiki and staff guidelines as these seem to be unclear too).

Other than that, as I said, I don't see why we should make talking about legal things illegal. It's a bit backwards imo. If there's an issue with the fact that using autoclickers/autofishing mods is legal, then that should be addressed, not whether we can talk about it in global channels.

I honestly think we need to chill out with all the stupid rules about what we can and can't talk about. As long as chat is civil, not full of spam and obviously not overly inappropriate, we shouldn't be nitpicking what people want to talk about. At the end of the day, the server exists because of the players, pushing those players away for literally breathing wrong is pretty dumb.

11. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,429
    Autoclicker should not be "OH MY GOD HOW DARE YOU" trigger words.
    We're past the days of disallowing specific words. I'm sure some really old ex-staff can remember the "disallowed swear" list we used to have.

The rules are the same as they have been for some time.
    We allow Autoclicking/Autofishing, you cannot be generating money/assets while AFK under any circumstances. If you don't understand this enforcement policy then I suggest you err on the side of caution.
    Hacked Clients are still illegal anywhere but VMR, VMR hacks discussion should be in VIP/private channels, as to not confuse our new players.

I've discussed and spoken with Staff regarding how this went down and how to handle it in the future.

Denying because I'm not making these words illegal, this was a different issue entirely (complaint about how Staff handled something) and should of been in my inbox via the Staff Feedback form.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
    #11 ClarinetPhoenix, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.