Denied Make staff have their nickname match their IGN (2.0)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by EraNow, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teofilovic

teofilovic Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +291
    Idea: If they are not in /v they can have their nick be whatever.
    If they are in /v their nicks must match their real usernames.

2. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    If they're in /v the can't be PM'd regardless which defeats the point of the suggestion.

3. teofilovic

teofilovic Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +291
    Gives a "thanks for pointing that out" rating

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Imaginex

Imaginex Living in a Daydream
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $5,830,000
    Ratings:
    +1,244
    Okay. As a person on staff who does not have any nick features I feel like I should speak my opinion on this matter.

In all the examples you've given there have been other staff members online who have nicks similar to their names, or no nicks at all. Now, I don't know about you guys, but I know personally, if I'm alone on the server with only one other staff member, I've never seen the other person have a nick different from their username.

As long as there's two staff on that aren't nicked something like 'fish' then I don't see an issue with staff being allowed to nick themselves something that isn't their full name. It's likely that if a user can't pm someone, they'll try to pm someone else before totally giving up.

I like kuke's suggestion though, as a good middle ground. If someone (cough cough jamie cough) made a way for users to pm those in nick through their nick (/pm fish) I think that most people would be generally happy.

Anyways, that's just my two cents on this issue. Take it or leave it as you will.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,290
    Then they should not be able to clog up the chats or be inappropriate and then they can't be ignored. Or... fix ignore to respond to the "vanished" nickname maybe?

6. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo

Ratings:
    +4,290
    Well said, this was the point I tried to make earlier in the thread that every staff member should be allowed some "down time" so that they can just play.
    Imagine all the people.... :p

7. Im_Dino_Mite

Im_Dino_Mite Just Some Dude
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +81
    You make it sound like changing a nickname changes the person, it's just a few colorful letters of your name, you can still be you with a nickname based around your in game name, plus really you can play and still be a staff member without changing your nickname, its just out of the convenience of the new players of the server. I still managed to play and be me just fine while doing staff duties and not having Nickname.
    Also as to pming a nick, what if a player decided to use the same exact nickname as a staff member, would staff take priority?

#87 Im_Dino_Mite, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  8. Imaginex

Imaginex Living in a Daydream
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $5,830,000
    Ratings:
    +1,244
    This would not be an issue, since two people can't have the same nickname at the same time

9. Im_Dino_Mite

Im_Dino_Mite Just Some Dude
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +81
    Is different color codes/italics/underlined taken into consideration to that too?

10. 314

314 Irratioπal President, former ServerAdmin
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $27,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,866
    Yes.

11. EraNow

EraNow President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,311
    You're looking at this the wrong way. It doesn't matter if there are other staff members online, why make it unnecessarily difficult and frustrating for the player? I want an answer here, because the only reason I can think of is GREED.

You say "I don't see an issue." Do you not understand everything that's been said in this thread up to this point? The issue is you're making it difficult for new players so simply know who you are. It doesn't matter if there is one staff member or 5 online, what's the benefit of having a stupid nickname on?

No compromise is to be made here. Changing your nickname to something that makes it difficult for players to message you should be considered abuse of powers -- for staff only.

• Potato Potato x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
    #91 EraNow, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  12. 7amoodw

7amoodw Electrical and Electronics Engineer
    ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +5,209
    How in the world is that abuse of powers. Nickname is a donation feature, it's not a staff perk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    I've said it before, calling it greedy and abuse to have a nickname they paid for is absolutely ridiculous. I get what you're suggesting, but these restrictions are not the way to go about solving the problem. The problem being /pm not working with nicknames. What you're doing now is counterproductive. Pissing people off is not how you get them to change their ways. Don't be daft.

@JamieSinn just make herochat's /pm hook into Essentials nicknames. It's a small change with almost no downsides and a major upside. Thanks.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    #93 kukelekuuk, Apr 16, 2016
  14. Alarah

Alarah ECC's Newest Sponsor!
    ECC Sponsor Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $1,360,645
    Ratings:
    +333
    personally i think this is being blown way out of proportion. under most circumstances if a player is new to the server or minecraft in general they might not even know about /list nevermind /rn. The first place they are going to ask questions, is in chat.

I think yes, the staff member who responds to them and their questions should turn off any nicknames. However don't feel it's too much of an issue since everyone who is against it knows about /rn.

Yes. i can see how it would be annoying, but it is no less ''annoying'' than a vanished user using /nick either.

I do believe that if a staff memeber is needed or called upon to resolve an issue of any kind, they should turn off /nickname for the duration of their assistance. But to say we simply can not change it ever, period, end of story, is a little much.

We like to have fun too ya know :p

p.s. Staff does not use /nick (if we have it) maliciously, we use it to have a little fun once in a while.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    Personally I don't think it's "unnecessarily difficult and frustrating" if you can /realname and easily find who the person is. Is it annoying? Sure. Is it unnecessary? Well... people have to learn commands to play one way or the other, don't they? ECC uses tons of commands, several of which are unique. However even if someone needn't /realname to find a staff member, they'll need it for someone.

Regardless, let's move here to a different point here, which is really the principle here and why you're not seeing agreement from staff here. You're treating it as a capital offense for staff to have a little fun once in a while. I agree that staff should be clearly identifiable while they're doing their job most of the time, and I'd agree that staff shouldn't use a nick that doesn't directly correlate to their name most of the time. However if a staff member wants to briefly change their name to something silly for some reason, there's no harm in that, and attacking people for it is ludicrous.

That's simply ridiculous.

16. dgam02

dgam02 ♫ Shitposting Ex-SA ♫

Ratings:
    +6,377
    Billy babe. If I spend 100 dollars to put pretty colors and change my name to what I want and I still am able to help any user, then I really don't see any problem with that. Now if you'd like me to change my name because using /rn is too difficult it seems, please send me 100 dollars and I'll be happy to do it Hun. ;) But in a serious sense, if Kuke says it's easy to just make nicknames part of our pm command, than that seems like a perfect solution. I'd whole heartedly support this addition.

Didn't know nickname was a staff feature. Interesting.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    #96 dgam02, Apr 16, 2016
  17. matrix_rep

matrix_rep Runner Up in BB20
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ X ⭐⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +7,451
    Gotta go with -1

#97 matrix_rep, Apr 16, 2016
  18. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo

Ratings:
    +4,290
    Of course I agree with this since it is exactly what I was trying to get across - that staff are players as well and should have the ability to just play and have fun (and earn some money) like everyone else (as long as it does not interfere with their staff requirements).
    I am surprised Billy that you are taking such a hard stance on this and not even believing that there can be no compromise. This is unfair and I call "non-staff" abuse for trying to enforce it.

19. teofilovic

teofilovic Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +291
    Yes you can use /rn - unless the mod is in /v.

I find it really stupid that you can't /rn someone if they are vanished.

20. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ

Ratings:
    +6,925
    >/rn shows vanished users
    >types /rn *
    >sees all vanished users online

Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.