Denied Make Staff Applications Private.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by PyroTechnix_, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PyroTechnix_

PyroTechnix_ Professional Coffee Drinker
    EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +291
    Okay so recently I posted a Staff Application, its been on for about an hour and already I have had multiple comments from other players (no staff) about it. I would really like my staff app to be private and seen only by staff members. I don't really think other players should be able to look at my personal staff application. Also I would like my time and effort not to be taken by someone else as it is what I have very hardly thought about.

Thanks.

• Potato Potato x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Capbo_

Capbo_ Reformed Scammer
    Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $1,348,456
    Ratings:
    +3,040
    public for other users to give their feedback

3. zevzero

zevzero Member
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,847
    I’d like to say that -most- comments are helpful, as players are trying to give their opinion on things and add information about the user that they might’ve left out. Just because someone who applies gets negative feedback from the community shouldn’t mean all applications should be private.

When applying for staff, you’re putting yourself out there to be judged by the community and you need to be willing to accept and reply to constructive criticism. If you’re not ready for that, you shouldn’t be a role-model for the community.

At the end of the day, player comments aren’t going to determine whether or not you get staff. There’s a lot of factors administration looks at that are way more important. However if someone has something important to bring up, that’s the right place, and I think everyone has the right to have a voice in who their next staff members are.

4. Genovani

Genovani 天国の強さ
    EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +878
    Why shouldn’t a staff app be public? Just about everything staff does is public. Your point about getting your app stolen isn’t valid at all, typically those type of people are viewed as lazy and half-ass and *huge* surprise, they don’t end up getting staff cause who would want that on a team of individuals who are meant to be role models in the community? They should remain public because the entire community is involved and will be affected in one way or another by who is selected to on the staff team.

#4 Genovani, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  5. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    As @ZevZero stated, by making them public, it gives the people opportunity to give feedback on the player, but more importantly, tests the applicant about how they receive feedback and criticism and how you respond (You will face a lot of that if you are staff)

Plus, it all comes down to the decision of the big man himself (There was a staff member that received nothing but negative feedback, but Andrew made him staff, and he changed his ways)

6. 314

314 Irratioπal President, former ServerAdmin
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $27,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,866
    However, that's the point of having public applications at all. As @ZevZero and @BlazeInfinite already pointed out, moderators have a very public position and should be subjected to public feedback.
    Copying someone else's staff application creates a terrible impression, in my opinion this scenario is a nonissue on ECC.

7. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    except that feedback of actual staff members is handled privately behind closed doors...

imo there's not really any significant difference whether apps are private or not. A public section allows public comment, but then people also say said public comments don't matter...

They could be public. They could be private. Andrew and the community likes them public so they'll likely stay that way.

8. lambiser

lambiser Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +906
    No
    First of all, staff applications are made to be scrutinized. Second of all, imagine if a player suddenly became staff without the player base’s knowledge. Most times staff don’t have a lot of time to keep up with the gossip and drama, which could put a bad person in power. Third, people respond to staff apps. In the end, it’s going to be accepted or denied. People will still respect a player who became staff, due to them surviving the whole staff application process. And fourth, becoming staff on ECC could be compared to politics-You are voted for or against, and you can’t get anywhere without player support or even disdain. That’s politics and basic life whenever you move up to a high position. So I advice you get used to it, and also know that if you’re worried about getting dissed, just don’t apply. Or suck it up, and use the hate as a tool to get better.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  9. LaggyTryHard

LaggyTryHard ♛Exalted Builder♛
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +964
    Community input isn’t considered when selecting staff so you can’t say it’s like politics

10. JamieSinn

JamieSinn Retired Lead Administrator/Developer
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,588
    Staff aren't going to be selected if the community as a whole dislike them, or the community brings up points that staff didn't think of.

We read comments, but we can choose to include them in our decisions or not. Usually it's a middle ground

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. freddyagogog

freddyagogog Ex-SMod
    ECC Sponsor Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $71,112
    Ratings:
    +512
    -1 Since the Staff Administration sometimes use the comments from an actual Staff Application and as Jamie said, why would the community want to have a user that no one likes as staff and is not always there to help.

12. steveshizzle

steveshizzle Resident
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,035
    The public is entitled and encouraged to give feedback on staff applications. If you can't handle public scrutiny, you probably shouldn't be applying for staff.

13. cdlawrence

cdlawrence Nubby Nubs
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +273
    why do you want to be staff if you dont want anyone to know you applied and cannot take negativity towards you? This suggestion is a huge -1 to your app if it still is open.

14. Ladyvamptress

Ladyvamptress Bloodlust Ex-EcoLegend
    ECC Sponsor Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,184
    -1/+1
    To a degree I agree with this. Having them public and allowing members of the community to comment on them can not only help the user better their self, but it can also cause unneeded drama.

There has been instances where a person did take parts of another’s app to use in their own, but staff does notice when this happens and that app is disregarded. So there is no worries about another “stealing” what you worked hard on as it doesn’t get them ahead in the end.

Personally, I feel like staff apps should be public, but no one can comment on them publicly. If a user has some useful information, they can privately discuss it with the applicant/staff. I think this would cut back on a lot of the drama from staff apps. Something else that’s ate at me for a while is you have to file a complaint on current staff privately. Sure if it pertains to their job performance, it’s understandable why that should be kept private, but when it’s say, a staff member not paying a loan back on time, the complaint should be filed like all the others.

At the end of the day, what others have said is true, if you can’t take negative comments in your staff app, you’re not going to make it as a staff member. I may not agree completely with how this is all set up, but this is how the owner and even some members of the community wants things set up and I can respect that enough to live with how things are. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  15. PvPMaster911

PvPMaster911 Ex-GA
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +428
    As an applicant myself, it’s extremely important to receive comments and feedback not only pertaining to the application, but about me and my actions and abilities in-game. Without community feedback, you’ll never really understand the viewpoints of other users. Some people may never even realize their wrong doings until it’s mentioned by the people that you play with on a daily basis.

In addition to understanding yourself with comments, you must be able to take constant feedback and criticism. It’s your liability as a staff member to take these comments and hopefully improve. Therefore, I disagree with this suggestion and advocate for the feedback section to remain public for all to see and review.

#15 PvPMaster911, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  16. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
    Completely skipped through entire thread and didn't even read opinions.
    Read title and immediately came to the conclusion: denied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.