Denied [Main City Server Suggestion] Trade channel

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Cranqed, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cranqed

Cranqed Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +25
    In Game Name:
    Cranqed
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    Main City Server
    Short title for your suggestion:
    Trade channel
    What are you suggesting:
    So I've seen many people ignore the 5 minute rule in trade channel. I suggest adding a plugin that limits the amount of messages you can send in let's say 5seconds. This is used on many servers to stop spamming. I was thinking that with some tinkering to the plugin you could make it so players can only send 1 message each 5mins (in trade channel).
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    Staff have to pay less attention to trade channel. It just crossed my mind when harvesting melons and I thought why not make a forum suggestion...
    Other information:

Plugin or custom addition:
    One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

2. Serpenttt

Serpenttt President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +1
    This might discourage people from using the trade channel. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just something to consider.

3. Serpenttt

Serpenttt President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +1
    They might use the global channel instead is what I mean.

4. ldw116

ldw116 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +387
    Im neutral, I do enjoy being able to quickly send wc in trade chat after I mistakenly post a message there. Also the 5 minute rule isn't super enforced to begin with

5. EtherealSquid

EtherealSquid Former ServerAdmin
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VI ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,155
    Eh. In my experience it's rarely more than a simple wc'd message from most players, the exception being the occasional new player, but even then they usually heed my warning to use /ch g by the second time. It's not much of a hassle for me to just type "player, use /ch g for normal chat."

Plus, LDW is right. Especially during off-peak when it's often just me and maybe 1 more mod, I'm very lax about the 5 minute rule unless it's blatant spam. Gonna -1 because I don't really think it's necessary.

#5 EtherealSquid, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  6. jwpwns

jwpwns ECC Sponsor
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,628
    -1 not needed the 5 min rule is kinda stupid any ways.

7. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,379
    The 5-minute rule was implemented when Macromod was a thing and Mojang changed the message char limit to 256, remember the walls of Trade ads from macros? Please no. No one needs 2 potentially 256 long ads every 2.5 or 5 minutes.

I've been asked before why we haven't dialed back the rules since Macromod isn't updated, and its for that reason. Macromod may not be a thing now but I kinda expect it to eventually be a thing and I don't believe in flip-flopping rules based on whether a certain mod is available or not.

Chat-limit timer might be a solution, especially with our incoming influx of users all wanting to use Trade chat for various reasons and some not realizing that there is a frequency rule. Hmm.

8. wolfspy7

wolfspy7 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +408
    Meh, as long as they are not spamming i dont see the problem with someone doing it 2 mins early or whatever, as sometimes things like auctions and a huge discussion in chat can push your trade add up so quickly that no one would even see it.

9. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,302
    It's worth noting that the 1 ad per 5 minutes rule was explicitly created with numerous exceptions in mind, as a strict and blunt/indiscriminate rule about advertisement spacings can unintentionally hurt various people, including builders looking for basic items (or a plot) and off-peak users (It's the reason why emphasis on going easy on new users when it comes to timing trade ads is in the moderation guidelines in the first place - Off-peak rules are even older than that, going back to when trade ad rules were significantly more lax and macromod was actually a thing). And, obviously, the problem with an automated timer is that it lacks the ability to enforce chat rules within context and in a reasonable why, something human moderators can actually do well.

There's really no need for an automated system when you have moderators who can do their jobs and really, even with massive influxes of new players, trade ad rule enorcement has never been a major problem. 99% of the time, once users are informed of chat channel rules, they fully comply afterwards. And as far as that 1% goes? They tend to cause issues and get muted shortly after otherwise.

10. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
    Not needed.
    We have staff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.