Main City Network - Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andrewkm, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
  2. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    Few questions regarding towns:
    - I assume Town-to-Town portals and global /warp (town) won’t work between these two servers, correct?
    - Can two towns share the same name if they are both in each server, or would it be like the whole rising/legacy thing where names would still be limited to one town (since these two servers are both under “Main City”)?

3. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
    Town-Town portals we MIGHT be able to make happen. We have cross server Stargate. Good question, we’ll look into this :)
    Warps will not work cross server.
    I think I’ll allow having another town with the same name on a different Main server.

4. hazardousgrvy

hazardousgrvy Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +6
    My questions are
    1.what will happen to over 100 players on main. And how will we be split

2. Is the 100 player cap For those on atm or like slots (If person A logs In on main for the first time, that's what hes always put on and no one can take his slot. And if person b logs In on north for the first time. He gets a slot on there and no one can take his)?

3. Does this mean a reset In anyway shape or form

5. EtherealSquid

EtherealSquid Former ServerAdmin
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VI ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,155
    This would be really neat, if possible.

6. EtherealSquid

EtherealSquid Former ServerAdmin
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VI ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,155
    I can't answer your other questions, but I can absolutely guarantee you that Main City (the current server) will not be reset.

7. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
    1. You won't be split. You play where you want.
    2. If person A logs off main city, his spot on main city becomes available. If person A is a supporter, he doesn't need a spot as he can log in everywhere always.
    3. No, this has nothing to do with any reset. As mentioned several times, we will not be resetting for a good 10 years.

8. hazardousgrvy

hazardousgrvy Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +6
    But then how does the cap work.
    What if I'm in a town on main and main is full and I'm not a supporter. What happens then. Also we currently have over 100 players on main most of the time. For those of us that the server kicks cause of the limit what happens to us. What happens to the stuff that we spent countless hours to build,craft, and create

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Zedoker

Zedoker ~|Huggable Ex-GameAdmin & Ex-Tomkfc Lover|~
    ECC Sponsor Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,312
    If you are on the server, you are taking up a slot.... you wont be kicked for a new player to join, instead the new players will be sent to the other server. The cap works by having 100 people who can log on, if 100 people are logged on, they are taking all 100 slots. If youre on the server, unless you log off, you aint going anywhere.
    Now, if you wanted to log onto the central server and there were over 100 people, then you would be moved to the north server and would have to wait before getting into central.
    Someone correct me if im wrong, but Im fairly sure this is how it works.

#9 Zedoker, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  10. hazardousgrvy

hazardousgrvy Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +6
    What my suggestion would be for this new update is a. How do I put this. A thing that If person A wants to login and hes new he is put the first available server. Let's say north. He then has a reserved spot just for him. If he was to login again hes put in north where his reserved spot is. This happens for everyone until all 100 slots are taken by a reserved spot. If the player was to not log in for let's say 2 month his spot is then forfeit. unless he files a leave on the forums which allows him more time to be offline. We could set up a re-capcha to make sure bots dont abuse this. This would work the same for the existing players aswell.
    But if this is not the case. I already have a town I'm in with thousands of ecd worth of stuff. How would get access to that stuff if I'm not in main but in north at the time. Also what would happen to the mayors of a town if they cant get to their town how would the manage it

11. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
    The server will never kick a player, don’t know where you are getting that idea from.
    Everything here is correct.
    Only thing is, if Main City is at 100/100 and you’re a donator who tries to log in to City, it simply goes to 101/100.
    This makes absolutely zero sense.
    It seems to me as if you’re completely confused lmao. Just wait until the system is up to understand it. I have no idea what’s complicated with my explanation. You are thinking about the system completely incorrectly.

As well if you’re on North and want to get back to City you have to wait until it goes under 100/100+ (which is irrelevant if you’re a supporter).

#11 andrewkm, Jun 19, 2019
  12. Zedoker

Zedoker ~|Huggable Ex-GameAdmin & Ex-Tomkfc Lover|~
    ECC Sponsor Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,312
    Just..
    As Andrew said, I think you aren't understanding the system correctly. Let me give you well-detailed examples.
    Say that the central server currently has 47 people online. 53 more people have the potential to log on to the server, assuming that they are not a supporter. The server will fill up to 100/100 with a different mix of supporters and non-supporters.
    If someone who is NOT a supporter logs on, they will be sent to the north server, thus filling up one of those slots. If they ARE a supporter, they will just overload, and make the amount of people 101/100

If you are already on the server, you have no issue. You will not be kicked, you will not need a designated slot.
    In terms of if you wanting to join central as a non-supporter when its already full, yes youll be tossed into North. You have 2 options, either wait it out or support the server. We arent going to sell or have designated slots with your name on it because we can fill 100 slots on the server with people who play regularly, much less the influx of builders that are coming. Since we want Central to be the main server that people come onto, it wouldnt make sense to sell out the server slots to people... it just wont work.
    We've done this before in 2012-2013/14, we survived without selling slots. If you don't want it to be an issue literally just find a way to get a feature under your name, it's either a USD or ECD investment, but itll fix the problems that youre coming up with.

13. xYoyoOG

xYoyoOG Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +20
    With this new server system (Which makes complete sense to do imo, big ups!), I expect alot of people to support the server if that means they can play on the main server where they've made all these hours of work in. I don't see this as a problem straight away, more support is good. But lets say the main server is 70/100 filled with builders and 110/100 in total right, then more supporters join in and it gets up to 150/100. Are you going to cap this or see things out first? If this has been discussed in the post and I've read over this, my bad.

14. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
    Oh it’ll definitely end up being something like 100/90 then 100/80, and so on if things get packed. City is always gonna be where people flock to.

#14 andrewkm, Jun 19, 2019
  15. xYoyoOG

xYoyoOG Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks, clears it up alot, you're gonna set the overall cap lower!:thumbsup:

16. xlqeyed

xlqeyed Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +11
    If I have normal Fly will I be able to fly in Main North?

I get that I need flyplus for Mining, Nether and End in Central and North.
    Do i need Flyplus for North Rising?

17. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
    If it becomes too packed it’ll be mostly supporters on City lol.
    Please read the news post.

#17 andrewkm, Jun 19, 2019
  18. hazardousgrvy

hazardousgrvy Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +6
    Yea I see that now. I just dont want to lose all my stuff cause of never being able to get to the server it's on. I have thousands of ecd worth of stuff on main and just dont want it sitting there and never being able to get to it. Also would enderchest work cross server cause if it does. We could flip it in to being able to access some of our stuff on other servers. Then my problem would be solved. Or could we do a kinda forum fill out form were the staff could "transfer" items from server to server for you.(I mean if you prove you that that item is in your possession (ex. 64 iron ingot) then they delete said item from server you're wanting it from then they spawn the same item in the server you want it to.) Like I said I just dont want my stuff to go to waste and never see my friends again aswell. Also I know it sounds like I'm avoiding supporting the server. But moneys tight (cause California taxes everything) and I'll try to get the ecd to buy it with someone who will pay me usd for it. Like I said I just spent so much time and effort in the main city. I dont want that to be out of my hands. Not trying to pity me or anything it's just a big change to the server.

19. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,065
    Item transfers will never happen.
    Ender chests are part of item transfers, so that is a no.

If City ends up being too packed your only option will be to support the server. If you cannot afford a $5 feature during a sale unfortunately you will not be playing on City during peak hours.

#19 andrewkm, Jun 19, 2019
  20. cida

cida true blue full grown fair dinkum fkn aussie
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +46
    First off, I think this is a great solution to the problem the server is facing. I do believe that we are going to see some meta changes when it is released however.

As you've explained andrew, the server will first attempt to put new players onto the Main (M) server. If it is full, they will be placed in Main North (MN).

The first noteworthy point to make is the following:

• ECC has a lot of supporters. All of them will have their ECC lives established in M when the new system is introduced. We can assume that the majority of players who have established their lives on M will want to continue playing on M. This is going to result in many wealthy, high-profile, economic trendsetters filling up M.
    • As a result, we are going to see few new players filling up the remaining space in M. These players will likely, for the most part, remain non-supporters for a reasonable time period. During this period, they will attempt to establish their ECC lives on M. There will be periods, however, when M is full, and they will be pushed to MN. During these periods, I fear that these new-ish players will be uninspired to continue playing. A percentage of those players will decide to become supporters in order to continue playing on M, where they have established their lives, while another percentage will either choose to play during off-peak hours, when there is space for them, or simply discontinue with ECC entirely.
    Now, when the main server is full, all the rest of the new players will be moved onto MN, and they will establish their lives there. I suspect this will be the outcome for the majority of new players during peak hours.

This leads me into a second point. I spoke to you recently andrew about the decline/rise of minecraft in recent times. You mentioned that you are seeing an increasing number of new members joining ECC. This means that ECC will continue to grow.

With a M/MN server setup, we are going to see new players establishing their lives on MN, whilst established players continue to play on M.

I foresee this creating a few economic issues.

1. The incredibly wealthy users, the Prestige players, the top supporters, (call them 'power users'), are likely going to create monopolistic shops/farms in MN, taking advantage of the fact that most of the existing, 'averagely wealthy' players will continue happily playing on M, and will not have the resources/energy to create competition in MN. Now, to counter my own point, perhaps this isn't a bad thing. In real life, a wealth divide impacts quality of life - in ECC, not so much. Perhaps it is a non-issue.
    2. M will stagnate. During peak hours, there will be few Builders/new players doing the 'grunt work', i.e. farming/mining, that usually funds the economy.

I won't elaborate on these issues any further, as this post will loop around to them again momentarily. I want to discuss two potential solutions to these issue I foresee.

Change the join order
    Have new players put onto MN by default, and have existing players put onto M. Server/player movement will operate as normal when servers reach capacity.

Pro: This addresses the issue of new players setting up their lives in M, and then being unable to play when it is full. Now new players will be able to play consistently on the same server for the vast majority of the time.

Pro: It also means that wealthy, established players on M, who are not supporters, will be able to also continue playing normally the vast majority of the time.

Con: This will create a server divide between the new players and the established players. We may see power users creating monopolistic farms/shops.

Offer incentives for established, wealthy, economic trendsetting users to re-establish their lives in MN
    Try move existing players over to MN.

Pro: This will mean that both servers will grow with each other, and it will increase the likelihood of players being happy with having two inventories in two servers.

It depends on the incentives offered, but I suspect that nowhere near half of the established players will move over. Because of this, I would suggest still changing the server-join order - i.e. have new players join MN first. This will set up MN as a young economy, with a balanced player base.

Pro: This will also create space on M during peak hours, and let new players move across to M, and set up their lives there, depending on what kind of playstyle they want - do they want to help build up a young world in MN, or rise up the ranks in the established M world, where farms and shops are already set up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overall, I think the restructuring is a great idea, with great potential. These are just some of the things that came to the top of my head when I started thinking about how it would impact ECC as a highly realistic economy server.

My solutions have flaws, for sure - I was not trying to smooth every hiccup that the new system is going to face. But perhaps they will provide a spark of inspiration should the issues I foresee arising do arise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.