Denied Loosen rules on /j

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jdawger, Jan 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,319
    Before you read this suggestion, I want to make clear that using /j to access restricted areas is NOT OK.
    (I’m ready for the potato ratings lol)

Minecraft Name
    :
    Jdawger

Suggestion:
    Loosen the punishment of using /j to access closed off areas

Reason:
    So let’s start by stating why someone would even use this feature to access these areas:
    -Steal from unlocked chests
    -Scouting the vault for future purposes
    -Inspiration for their own vault
    (There are many other reasons, but these are essentially the main ones for people WITHOUT PERMS TO THE TOWN [people with perms could do more damage and wouldn’t need /j ]). Inspiration has no malicious activity; scouting could have malicious activity, but is often harmless; and the looting of the chests are the most harmful.

Now in regard to the chest looting, it requires the chests to be unlocked or the player needs perms to it. If that player has perms to that given chest, it’s 100% legal and if the chest is unlocked, it is still considered legal based on ECC’s rules (although it is often frowned upon).

So, in short, despite it being technically feature abuse to access areas using /j, the only real harmful situation that could happen is (as ECC basically defines it) the owner’s fault for not properly protecting their own items.

Other Information
    :
    Again, these actions are/should be frowned upon by the community, but should not be a bannable offense (similar to the taking from unlocked chests)

However, it’s still feature abuse. @Frostystorm1 suggested a tempban (which I forgot existed) on the first offense Instead of a regular ban, which is a good idea.

I’m thinking this in terms of temps
    1st - one week tempban
    2nd onward - regular ban, appeal on forums

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Potato Potato x 2
    • List
    #1 Jdawger, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  2. LaggyTryHard

LaggyTryHard ♛Exalted Builder♛
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +964
    No, I think you know the reasons why
    There was something like this from captainwow

#2 LaggyTryHard, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  3. Jdawger

ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,319
    Enlighten everyone else then

4. Olovice

Olovice Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +90
    No, definitely not. If the owner of the area has the area completely sealed off, then that clearly means that they don't want people in there. Maybe they're building something that they don't want copied, or maybe it's a vault. The reason doesn't matter. If you cant access it without a donation perk, then you shouldn't with one.

#4 Olovice, Jan 26, 2018
  5. Mission001

Mission001 Ex-EcoLegend HⱻặĐHůƞẗǝɍ
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $495
    Ratings:
    +6,484
    Or just dont abuse the command that was intended for fun use?

6. Jdawger

Ratings:
    +3,319
    Kinda important.

Also made it “punishment” vs “rule” so people can see the intention better

#6 Jdawger, Jan 26, 2018
  7. KingCharlie9

KingCharlie9 EcoPremiumPrestigeLegendTycomaster
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +526
  8. freddyagogog

freddyagogog Ex-SMod
    ECC Sponsor Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $71,112
    Ratings:
    +512
    -1 This feature was not created for abusing it, if you are having problems with anyone using /j inside your town or to steal from chests or anything related please contact a Staff member and they will help you for sure.
    Rules are there to follow them, not just to read them.

9. Jdawger

Ratings:
    +3,319
    Read the suggestion. It’s just to make it a warnable offense rather than a bannable one.
    It’s against the rules, but in retrospect, it’s almost gray area (especially with its rarity) with the fact of what actually occurs when someone gets inside

#9 Jdawger, Jan 26, 2018
  10. OlympiansAreGods

OlympiansAreGods Building Fanatic
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,756
    I must admit. This is quite amusing.

As someone who has been banned for looting in the past take it from me. /j is abused all too often. Personally, although I have used /j before I had fly, and it was useful in terms of building, have never seen why /j should really be enabled on the server.

PROs:
    • If the user doesn't have fly then it can be used to get too high places/avoid long distance running.
    • Can be used to help big building projects
    CONs:
    • Can be used to /j into personal spaces, such as vaults and sealed off areas, therefore diminishing the privacy of players.
    • It can be used to get into areas without grief. Therefore, most of the time avoiding punishment.
    • Players whom their number of locks has reached maximum and have to leave their chests open in a sealed area. This is then immoral and should be illegal to then /j in and take their contents.
    • (Not quite sure) Possible server lag? Don't quote me on that though.
    From what I see, the cons outweigh the pros. However, this suggestion is not to remove /j but do indeed, make it legal to /j into places such as vaults. So, let me start by saying your opening statement is quite contradictory. 'using /j to access restricted areas is not ok' but let's make it legal! ... Anywho, you state that /j'ing into vaults is harmless but in actual fact, it's harmful to the players who have built the vaults. A vault is a private place used by players to hold their possessions. For a player to just /j into a vault and sashay away with their designs is just morally wrong. Lemme put this into a very realistic scenario.

Player A has built a vault underground. Built no door and sealed it up nice and good. Player A builds vaults everybody wants. Player B is a competitor to Players A vault building company. Player B then /J's into Players A vault to 'Get inspiration for his vaults'. Player B then starts to build exact copies of Player As vault. (Which is a level of plagiarism to some degree). Player A loses customers and feels cheated.

So yeah, it does cause harm. Now for scouting. Scouting almost always has malicious intent/activity and with Andrews yearly chest unlocks, players are always finding ways to get into vaults and setting home for 'future purposes'. I don't see how settings home in a vault has no harm in any situation (Unless the owner gives permission).

Take it from me, Looting is all fun and games until the player returns to see his hardmwork gone and the feeling of having more stuff has worn off and the guilt consumes you.

I therefore will be -1'ing your suggestion.

11. Jdawger

Ratings:
    +3,319
    Again, read the whole thing
    It’s NOT to make it legal. It’s to make it less harsh

As for something else...
    Looting from unlocked chests is also morally wrong (and so is the December Lwc looting to some people), yet is legal. Scouting is morally wrong too. That three morally wrongs vs the one “server wrong” of feature abuse. If there is anything that should be in consideration here for a true illegal action, it’s using /j as everything else is essentially legal.

And like I said before, it is wrong and illegal, but in my opinion it shouldn’t be a straight ban

#11 Jdawger, Jan 26, 2018
  12. KingCharlie9

Ratings:
    +526
    So, I could /j into a vault, find 10 star tools, sell them, and get a /warn?
    Or is there some other point?

13. OlympiansAreGods

Ratings:
    +1,756
    I have read the whole suggestion. I still find it amusing. I forgot to add this.

If staff make it less harsh, then players will feel that they are free to abuse the feature and get away with it. It should be a ban worthy offence.

#13 OlympiansAreGods, Jan 26, 2018
  14. KingCharlie9

Ratings:
    +526
    Waiiit wait wait.

A massive +1 from me. (I only just read the suggestions, my apologies)

"Don't want your chests looted. Lock 'em. And stay active so they don't get unlocked." Its as simple as that.

+1

• Like Like x 4
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  15. Jdawger

Ratings:
    +3,319
    Well, it was just a start. @KingCharlie9 , I’m going to use your star tool example for this example (if that’s ok). If the player takes star tools, I would’ve assumed that they have a tracking # for staff to find it (and track it back to them).

As for other items, same concept for why the rule of unlocked chest looting changed, if you didn’t lock it, your fault. Same reason why it’s suggested you store money in the forum bank rather than trade signs. Trade signs are relatively secure (similar to a vault for example), but the forum bank is the most secure (locking chests)

16. OlympiansAreGods

Ratings:
    +1,756
    But they shouldn't have to lock their chests in their SEALED vault as it should remain illegal to /j into a vault with no accessible entrance.

17. CaptainWow12

CaptainWow12 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +105
    Mine was just to simply add an actual rule against using /j to get into unreachable.

18. LaggyTryHard

LaggyTryHard ♛Exalted Builder♛
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +964
    Lol, it’s like walking into the CIA’s top secret base taking some files and expecting to get a slap on the wrist
    yes but points are brought up there that apply to this

#18 LaggyTryHard, Jan 26, 2018
  19. Jdawger

Ratings:
    +3,319
    I’m sorry if I repeat myself a few times here, but I should address the 4 cons that Olympians stated:
    1. Yes, takes away privacy of players, but again, Gray area in the rules.
    2. This is a true statement, but (at least what I heard) /j is logged. Still catches the player if filed correctly.
    3. So according to the rules, Builders have 15 locks, Residents have 100, and Mayors have 300 (and so on until Tycoon). Builders and residents typically don’t have their own town, thus use them mostly for their plot (if they have one). A mayor has a town, thus greater locks. Even if he uses half of them for other stuff besides personal house and vault, that’s still 150 locks. That’s over 500k items alone. If they exceed that number, they are encouraged to rank up again or get unlimited lwc’s. And if they still exceed, usually they prioritize the locks, leaving more worthless items of wood and stone unlocked.
    4. I don’t know what you mean by this, but I doubt their is server lag. Maybe personal lag.
    Also, this was supposed to be before the last three

#19 Jdawger, Jan 26, 2018
  20. Jdawger

Ratings:
    +3,319
    I know I gave you crap about that and said that it should be legal, but thought about it since and agreed that it should be illegal.

Again Olympians, I’m still saying it should be illegal, just not bannable
    I assume you are making this as a comparison to a server/staff area that can be accessed with /j. Yes, that should be bannable. That’s defined in the rules and that’s now what we’re talking about.

#20 Jdawger, Jan 26, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.