[Discussion] Rules Update: Automation on Skyblock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 314, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 314

314 Irratioπal President, former ServerAdmin
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $20,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,860
    As you might have already seen in the announcements section, we have clarified the rules for automation on Skyblock.

This change ensures that the in-depth explanations regarding Skyblock automation match the Skyblock Server Rules.

Going AFK on Skyblock is perfectly allowed. However, while you are AFK, you should generally not be performing any activities.

The following is NOT allowed, no matter whether you are AFK or active:
    • The use of any third-party modifications to the client (i.e. MacroMod, Autofish, hacked clients, etc.) to perform actions while AFK generate items, XP, or EcoDollars.
    • The use of any method to hold down or press a button while AFK (i.e. placing a weight, e.g. to hold down MOUSE1 and farming Cobblestone)
    • The use of any external programs (i.e. autoclickers, AutoHotKey, macros) to perform actions while AFK.
    • Anything Any non-vanilla method not listed above that generates income, items, or XP in any way.

(Added, removed)

What are your thoughts about this update: Is it going to affect how you play on Skyblock, and do you have any suggestions on what could be changed or clarified?

2. Gluupor

Gluupor Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +125
    i dont think it is possible to enforce the "hold down key while active" part unless people admit to it, rendering this part of the rule pointless in my opinion.
    im not sure but there was a way to actually trick MC into thinking you are still holding mouse and have the window focused when you are actually tabbed out. this behaviour of a vanilla minecraft client also isnt covered by this ruleset.

3. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    I agree exactly with what gluup said above, how can you reasonably enforce it?
    Does XP specifically include enchantment XP or other types as well (Skyblock XP, McMMO XP, etc)
    Why change a rule and then ask the community what they think of a change? Isn't it counter-intuitive?

I disagree with this inherently; if it can't be enforced unless people tell you, you're only punishing people for actually participating in the community.

4. Avowin

Avowin ανσςα∂σ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +607
    The problem I see with the term "AFK" is you will have people who are going to try and bypass this by having some sort of third party macro or some way of automation, and will go do something completely different on their computer without paying attention to minecraft. People are going to try and be technical and say "Well I wasn't away from my keyboard at all, so it's legal". They'll try to use it as a loophole. I agree you can't enforce every part of it because we don't know everything at all times, and staff cannot go and check people all the time to make sure they are following the rules. However, I do believe this rule change can help against people trying to find a loophole around the wording of the rule

5. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    Generally the guideline used is whether or not you can respond to chat. Which imo is a much better actually enforceable guideline

6. ajp79

ajp79 President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +912
    Nothing makes sense anymore....

I’m more confused now then ever. I thought this was always the case.. Are we saying we have allowed players to basically cheat at Skyblock?

7. cdlawrence

cdlawrence Nubby Nubs
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +273
    I agree with ajp, hasnt this always been the rule? Also does it not match the rule on main server? So how would there be issues policing it?

8. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,288
    I agree with cdl who agreed with ajp. I am so :confused:

9. JamieSinn

JamieSinn Retired Lead Administrator/Developer
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,588
    This rule was always in place. The edit here is simply a clarification because the wiki did not properly convey this.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. crowfeather2001

crowfeather2001 Resident
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

EcoDollars:
    $640,397
    Ratings:
    +237
    I think the problem here was people have their own definition of AFK and what it means. It literally means "away from keyboard" and our rules have always been if you can respond in chat, then you are fine. (unless I am remembering something incorrectly)
    So is it wrong to be at the computer, responding in chat, but using something to hold down a button although you are obviously right there? Is that technically AFK? If you still respond in chat you are obviously at your keyboard. Perhaps the wiki should have a definition of what the server considers AFK. I think that is what people are thinking.

11. crowfeather2001

crowfeather2001 Resident

EcoDollars:
    $640,397
    Ratings:
    +237
    This is what is going to get people. ^^^ "while AFK" they need a clear defined definition of what is AFK and what is not.

12. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6

Ratings:
    +8,058
    Well with the changes they've made it doesn't matter since now the same rules apply whether you're AFK or not...

how they're gonna tell if you're automating stuff if you're active in chat is beyond me

13. crowfeather2001

crowfeather2001 Resident

EcoDollars:
    $640,397
    Ratings:
    +237
    True.

14. 314

EcoDollars:
    $20,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,860
    This, however, didn't actually change.
    (Emphasis mine.)

According to the edit history, the first part of this rule already existed before Skyblock was released. Third party automation has always been illegal on SB, but the "Skyblock AFK and Automation Guidelines" wiki page made it sound like automation was fine while not AFK.

It actually is.
    I highly doubt that Mojang intentionally created an "hold mouse button when using alt-tab" feature, it therefore falls under the category of bugs/exploits. (Edit: MC-1519, confirmed bug and fixed since the first 1.13 snapshot.)

#14 314, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  15. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6

Ratings:
    +8,058
    Disagree, if it says "go here for more info for what's allowed and what isn't"... then since it wasn't listed, it's not illegal. I get that you may have meant for it to be against the rules, but as they were written the rules allowed it, making this a rule change.

16. 314

EcoDollars:
    $20,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,860
    I'd like to object here: As the wiki said, the page provides "more information" to a general rule ("use 100% minecraft mechanics"), which - in my opinion - implies that "more information" is supplementary and does not override the main rule (see below).

The AFK guidelines page stated that it's not allowed to use non-vanilla automation while AFK, but it never stated anything about what you can do while not AFK.

17. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,269
    Why don’t we clarify by saying something along the lines of “if the method makes a two-handed job one-handed or a one-handed job no-handed, it’s illegal.”

18. 314

EcoDollars:
    $20,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,860
    Because you'd need to define what a "two-handed job" is. Let's take melon farming as an example.

Normally you'd use the mouse and WASD to farm melons. One hand controls the mouse and one controls the keyboard, so it's a two-handed job.
    However, I can also lift up my mouse above the keyboard and use the same hand for both WASD and the mouse. That would make it a one-handed job (and therefore illegal) even though I'm not using anything other than vanilla MC and my hand.

Unless we define it as a one-handed job because of that, which means that I can automate this (usually two-handed) job as much as I want as long as I still use one hand.

19. ajp79

ajp79 President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +912
    Still confused...

Lol... just keeps getting worse

20. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,269
    Honestly, I’ve never seen anyone farm melons with that method before. Ok, yes they can assign the “mine” function to a button next to “W” and one-hand it that way, but I believe very few people actually do that. Anyway, traditionally speaking (without any reassigning of keys or floating mice), a two-handed job is usually the ones that require one hand to move and one to click, whereas a one-handed job usually just requires one of those actions. I understand the whole “clicking and moving with the same hand,” but what’s the harm in specifying the job actions to avoid confusion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.