Denied [Discord Server Suggestion] Move Suggestions to Discord

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FirstNolan, Jun 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FirstNolan

FirstNolan Former GameAdmin
    ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +285
    In Game Name:
    FirstNolan
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    Discord Server
    Short title for your suggestion:
    Move Suggestions to Discord
    What are you suggesting:
    I'm suggesting that we take suggestions from the forums and move them to the discord to promote a more active discord and active community.

The forums have served ECC well since its birth 10 years ago, but with no recent updates to it, it feels stale and less active, especially with the rise of Discord as of late.

Many very successful and popular Minecraft servers have transitioned from using forums only to implementing ways to have forums and an active discord, and I believe transitioning certain parts of our forums to discord could be a great way to promote an active community.

One way to do this is using the Carl-Bot, which many other servers use. It's a good tool to efficiently discuss and sort through suggestions and in my opinion, it makes giving feedback even easier than before (since you can simply upvote and downvote topics instead of writing out lengthy responses).
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    Moving certain parts of the forums over to discord is an effort to make a larger and more active community. When new users join, it's a turn-off to see a non-active discord and a non-active forum.

This is an attempt to try and modernize ECC's processes and make them seem fresh to new and existing users.
    Other information:

Plugin or custom addition:
    One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

• Thonk Thonk x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    #1 FirstNolan, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  2. JRigz

Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +144
    I like this idea, could help a lot with new players.

but we all know they don’t care about that

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  3. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,060
    but you can do that now? like you can simply "agree" or "potato" suggestions if you want to, nobody is forced to write lengthy responses.

people either do so because they want a specific point to be taken into consideration, or because they have some take that changes the suggestion in some way but is still on-theme. effectively having to downvote a suggestion because you agree with a problem but disagree with a solution seems counterintuitive to "ease of use".

I wouldn't be against this if suggestions could actually be discussed, but discords "threads" are still pretty awful and I don't see how you could have a meaningful discussion about a suggestion. (that said I haven't actually seen that plugin in use so like, maybe provide screenshots or something in case I'm wrong?)

4. FirstNolan

FirstNolan Former GameAdmin
    ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +285
    My apologies, I should have given more insight into what this bot does.

You can first file a suggestion by running the following command into the designated #suggestions channel.
    [​IMG]

Then, the bot recognizes the discussion and assigns it a case number, like so. Here, you can simply downvote or upvote a suggestion.
    [​IMG]

If someone wants to further discuss a topic, they can do so in the #suggestions-discussion channel, similar to this one.
    [​IMG]

To discuss a specific suggestion, it's most common to address said suggestion with the case number. So let's say I wanted to address suggestion #1000, I would say in #suggestion-discussion something along the lines of "For Suggestion #1000,".

The Carl-Bot also allows the administration to respond in a way that's easy to understand, here is an example.
    [​IMG]

So in summary,
    1) the Carl-Bot lets users anonymously suggest things by running the ";suggest" command (if Andrew didn't want the suggestions to be anonymous, he could configure the bot otherwise).

2) the Carl-Bot then assigns the suggestion a case number, to where users can talk about the said case in #suggestion-discussions, or they can downvote/upvote the suggestion in the #suggestions channel.

3) the Carl-Bot then relays the final decision from the administration in the #feedback channel.

One of the main driving factors of why I suggested this is to encourage discord use. I believe with a more active discord, the community becomes more active and it can allow for it to grow.

P.S. Sorry about all the poorly scribbled-over messages, I did this in an attempt to hide the identity of the server I got this idea from.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    #4 FirstNolan, Jun 6, 2021
  5. JRigz

Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +144
    Great explanation @FirstNolan

I truly believe this is a great idea. Maybe with the aid of newly brought in GA @TankNoodle we can push this through :’)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  6. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,102
    At this time we will not be making any major changes to link the forums with Discord.
    It will simply mess with my work flow, and I'm quite happy with the way it is structured right now.
    I also agree with @Nicit6's response to the suggestion.

#6 andrewkm, Jun 6, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.