Denied Creating a new first rank

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by EraNow, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EraNow

EraNow President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,312
    The tutorial lacks one thing: application.

People need to apply what they just learned, and fast. Set up like they're playing survival then go make money and rank up. That's the premise of the server. Resident is very far distant future and is almost never achieved in the first sitting. New players should be able to complete one rank cycle in order to get a full grasp on the server.

What would the rank have? Just a bump from 15 LWCs to 50. Marginal change progresses from 35 -> 50.

Please address any cons to this suggestion as well.

2. LaggyTryHard

LaggyTryHard ♛Exalted Builder♛
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +964
    So your saying make a new rank that you can get within the first 5 min of playing the game? Alright but now you got all these applications comin in (yeah I know there’s like 5 builders at any one time but this adds up) but resident is the first big jump and shows whose willing to play, learn and more imporantly, stick around. If you get like 20 applications of randoms who aren’t willing to stick around, then you’re wasting staffs time.

3. EraNow

EraNow President

Ratings:
    +1,312
    20 applications? Do you know how many players we actually get sticking around per day?

The point of this rank is to complete the tutorial process. It could be done with an in-game command as well, but I think learning the forums is very important as well.

4. LaggyTryHard

Ratings:
    +964
    I don’t think it can be done from an in game command (and don’t think it should be as you don’t learn the forum things) and Resident rank is when they learn the forums, which is also a perfectly respectable time to learn as you have put the time and money in to take the next step in the server.

5. EraNow

EraNow President

Ratings:
    +1,312
    It can be done, I just don't think it should.

The problem is they don't apply for resident in their first sitting. Sure, if you're an experienced play and know exactly what to do, you could do that in 2-3 hours. But to a new player, no.

Ranking up is such an important aspect of the server. It should be fully comprehended sooner rather than later.

6. LaggyTryHard

Ratings:
    +964
    I’m all for getting players up the learning curve asap but I don’t think making a new rank is the way to go. Player retention is all I’m worried about.

7. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,060
    so what happens when they get the first rank in one sitting and realize they can't do the same with a second?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. LaggyTryHard

Ratings:
    +964
    Same for a lot of games. Everyone knows the ranks later on take longer and more effort.

9. EraNow

EraNow President

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Then they learn it becomes increasingly more difficult to get each rank. In the end, that's the draw of the server.

Now they've gotta find ways of making money and upgrade their tools and such for the long haul.

10. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,060
    but if they like that, did they really have a problem spending a few hours to get resident in the first place?

11. LaggyTryHard

Ratings:
    +964
    That’s what I was gettin at as well. Player retention

12. EraNow

EraNow President

Ratings:
    +1,312
    I'm looking at this from more of a psychological perspective.

Stimulating the reward centers of their brain, that creates a physical feeling. There's a sense of accomplishment. When they leave, they remember that feeling.

#12 EraNow, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  13. jwpwns

jwpwns ECC Sponsor
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,629
    I really dont see a point for this one lol srry -1 rip.

#13 jwpwns, Dec 30, 2017
  14. lambiser

lambiser Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +906
    Yes, ECC needs more players. But it’s not only the features you need to buy or the hard ways to get money, because frankly all servers are like that, but it’s the tight knit community that is the reason builders quit. They can’t fit in because some people have known each other for years, they don’t get the inside jokes, and frankly some feel like they don’t belong. I credit my joining to the town of Shoreline, whos staff showed me how to do stuff and introduced me to the community. So we shouldn’t be focusing on features or ranks, we should be focusing on how to be more inclusive with new players.

15. LeosZombie

LeosZombie Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +20
    Yea we're metaphorically the old people sitting on the porch in rocking chairs talking about "the good old days" instead of talking about something that the newer people are more interested in and know something about. I see where you're coming from with this idea but I think it would be better to simply try and keep up with what they enjoy at the same time.

I give it a -1

#15 LeosZombie, Dec 30, 2017
  16. JamieSinn

JamieSinn Retired Lead Administrator/Developer
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,588
    You want us to release new content, yet suggest stuff like this (which would require an overhaul on our ranking system).

Unfortunately, I don't see the benefit of having a 5 minute rank when resident, given support from players, can take 1-2 hours.
    Not locking, as I'd like to see the discussion further.

17. EraNow

EraNow President

Ratings:
    +1,312
    I don’t see it requiring an overhaul of the ranking system at all. Many servers have a starting rank that changes as soon as one finishes the tutorial. I see this as an extension to the tutorial.

The tutorial throws a lot of information at you, but there’s no sort of closure or reward for completing it. Having a rank up be achievable in one sitting allows someone to go full circle on how the server works. The tutorial shifts from just reading that information to the application of that information. It’s a much better lesson.

My point in making this suggestion was to enable players to get a greater scope of the server their first time joining. Right now, if I were a new player all I’d see my first hour is a survival server with a mini game. If we throw a rank achievable in that first sitting, I’ve now accomplished stage one of the “plot” of the server, seen the forums, and engaged in the economy. It makes for a much more enriching first experience.

I want new players to stay, and I see this helping, not hindering that.

#17 EraNow, Dec 30, 2017
  18. JamieSinn

JamieSinn Retired Lead Administrator/Developer
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,588
    I'm referring to our ranking system and the way we promote people up the ladder in code. Not the res->mayor->pres etc.
    I would see a 5k reward for completing the tutorial a much better "incentive" than this.
    Getting a greater scope is a good idea, but the problem we have with that is as I mentioned initially. You're asking us to do a ton of work, which delays things yet again, causing even more annoyances.

19. EraNow

EraNow President

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Incentive? I didn’t even use the word or a synonym.

I imagine you’re good at math. Imagine being in a calc class. Are you going to retain all the information best by listening to the lecture, or listening to the lecture and doing the practice problems.

That’s my point here.

20. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6

Ratings:
    +8,060
    thats kinda what that sounded like to me

we have a starting rank, you just get it right away without the tutorial. I don't see how it isn't an overhaul of the ranking system when you're literally adding a new rank and changing the order used for 5+ years

speaking of which, resident hasn't been the issue for the past years (considering it's been 15k back when we had hundreds of players on at once)... so I ask, why change literally the heart and soul of ecc for something so menial?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.