[Bug Report] Odd private message behavior

Discussion in 'Help & Support / Errors & Bugs' started by Videowiz92, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Videowiz92

Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Benefactor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ X ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,183
    Thread title:
    Odd behavior in chat resulting in unintentional private message

Minecraft Username:
    Videowiz92

Brief Description:
    I was talking to a user in global and followed up with a response of posting their name after a @ symbol to try to make it clear I was responding to them in chat. I figured doing "@<name>" without a space would start a private conversation with them, so I included a space between the name and the @ and it started a private conversation with a random user that happened to be vanished. As seen in the screenshots, I also did "/ch g" to ensure I was talking in global before starting the conversation in global.

Instructions:
    1. Do "/ch g" to ensure you're in global chat
    2. Do "@ <random>" including spaces

3. Random behavior in chat, not sure what can come from doing this, was expected to just post "@ <random>" in the chat channel I was in.

How many times did you recreate this?
    Tested the same message that was posted in the screenshots as well as "@ test" and it still messaged the same vanished user.

Result:
    A random user that was vanished was messaged instead of my message being posted in the chat channel I was in.

Expected Result:
    Chat message should've been posted in Global.

Evidence:

#1 Videowiz92, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  2. Pab_Jr

Pab_Jr Former Staff Member
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,151
    Using @ from my experience has always been an additional way of beginning a pm with users, I believe the random messaging happens even when you do just /msg and two spaces after but I am unable and to test that at the moment.

The @ is similar to just starting a chat command with the / as it is just a alias for /msg within the files.
    Adding that space instead of a name right away is what makes it so that you message someone random

#2 Pab_Jr, Jul 4, 2020
  3. killrdarknes

killrdarknes SMOKIN DONG
    ECC Sponsor EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $93,445
    Ratings:
    +1,163
    Also very possible that the command interprets that space between @ and (random) as a null and then just looks at the internal list of usernames from the very beginning, and pulls someone with symbols in their username (the ** to delineate nicknames count as symbols and symbols are often listed above names beginning with “A” or even “1” in lists). Just so happens that person was at the top of the list. Best to do
    .@username
    even without a space that’ll work, it’s basically the same as doing ./help instead of /help . Running @ username with the space still runs the command for /msg

#3 killrdarknes, Jul 4, 2020
  4. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,056
    The command is @<username>
    It seems that using @ followed by a space will just message a random user.