Accepted [All Main Servers Suggestion] Trade-Shop Rental Evaluation

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by AdmiralD, Oct 8, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,290
    In Game Name:
    AdmiralD
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    All Main Servers
    Short title for your suggestion:
    Trade-Shop Rental Evaluation
    What are you suggesting:
    Please evaluate the recent increase in the Trade-Shop rental rates. Please return the amount per week to the previous requirement.
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    It feels quite predatory when compared to the profit potential of the shops. While not as busy as they used to be, the shops are still a great place for new (and old) players to have a central place to browse around and find items they need.
    Other information:
    I have had a shop for most of my ten years on the server, and it has always been a great meeting place, especially when I was doing the builder bonus program. I realize that shopdb has made this obsolete, but I still see players visiting and buying/selling. It has always been a way for me to support the server I felt. However, this pricing is not sustainable for me and possibly other shop owners. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. Thank you @BobbyBlack for mentioning this as an option. Of course, this only really impacts 10 players on the server as far as cost - it is not like we can just raise prices to counter this massive increase.
    Plugin or custom addition:

One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    #1 AdmiralD, Oct 8, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
  2. RealRichNixon

RealRichNixon Pres. Richard Nixon by day, GameAdmin by night.
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ Game Admin EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +433
    +1.

I was giving some thought into making a suggestion like this, but it's good to see it from a shop owner's perspective.

I see no reason to triple the price of market stalls. I can understand a slight increase, but to the extent that it was done is a bit too extreme for my liking. Instead of trying to milk money out of the owners of /market stalls, the server should be supporting them, and if anything paying loyal, decorated users for their service. (That is a suggestion for another time.) I personally do recommend new users visit /market so that it doesn't become entirely obsolete.

Given the advent of ShopDB and /tpc, we all know that it is much easier to get to any shop on the server, at any time, anywhere. Back in the day, and feel free to come for my neck with this one, it wasn't all that easy to find a shop to buy or sell, for example, stained glass or dyed wool. Now, you can search up your item on ShopDB and get coordinates and a warp to there. While ShopDB does bring quality-of-life improvements to users, it's a bit of a detriment to others who have shops in /market.

ShopDB is cool and all, but /market has its pros too -- namely, a user can buy a variety of items and it's all in one compact place. If one shop doesn't have spawn eggs, you can go check the shop over. I do still recommend new users use /market, but the main reason that I do that is with the intention of supporting the users who have stalls there. But, even in real life, if the cost of owning a shop is going to increase, that increase isn't just absorbed by the owner, but rather it's pushed on to the buyer.

The increasingly exorbitant cost of something meant to support the server community itself really is a shame to see, and quite frankly, it is not very conducive to keeping a player base happy. (Source: @AdmiralD, @Imabankthing, amongst several others)

3. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,060
    I think while the rent increase may break the camels back for a lot of players, market shops are pretty irrelevant in general now.

Why pay rent at all when a spawn market shop provides no competitive advantage?

Foot traffic through the market isn't what it was, there's really no point in wandering the market when you can find exactly what you want at the best price on shopdb instantly.

Market rent should offer you some priority in shopdb listings or some other benefit other than a small square of heavily regulated real estate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
    #3 Nicit6, Oct 9, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  4. BobbyBlack

BobbyBlack Community Spokesperson
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ XI ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,517
    +1, I think market stalls should just be free now. You should still have to apply on the forums to add more time etc, but make the price free. I think the price should be free due to the way the server is now. shopdb takes away alot of the perks of having a market stall.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,319
    +1 with both shopdb and also the fact that /market was taken out of spawn, there's no reason to have people pay rent, let alone increase the prices. Hell, I could create a town with many more stalls & charge nothing for players to use and that will be just as good (if not better) than the official /market at this point

#5 Jdawger, Oct 10, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
  6. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,098
    Placing this under review for @ClarinetPhoenix.
    She will examine the pricing as well as potentially increasing the appeal for shopping at the market.

7. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,425
    At this time I am simply I am reducing shop rent back to where it was since I recognize the hardships of the current spawn-market situation. Namely the lack of foot traffic and appeal and competing with town warps and the shopdb listings.

At this time I have no solutions to this issue and will continue to brainstorm and look for suggestions on increase appeal and foot traffic at the /market.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
    #7 ClarinetPhoenix, Oct 23, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
  8. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,425
    Trade-Shop Rentals have been returned to the following values:

$10,000/week for a smallshop (Stations 3-11)
    $20,000/week for a largeshop (Stations 1-2)

Any applications filed for stations moving forward will be charged at these prices.

9. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,098
    Thanks Clare!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.