Denied [All Main Servers Suggestion] Improvements to /ignore

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by skymaster200, Feb 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skymaster200

skymaster200 ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ sad and dank ~Team Obey~
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +495
    In Game Name:
    skymaster200
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    All Main Servers
    Short title for your suggestion:
    Improvements to /ignore
    What are you suggesting:
    I am suggesting that we improve /ignore to where the player you ignore can’t see your chats as well as you not being able to see their chat
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    this addition would reduce harassment as well as frustration with certain players as it blocks all forms of communication between the two.
    Other information:
    The current system just allows for a one way window of the person who is ignored to see the ignorer chatting. This can lead to additional harassment with them getting other players to message you. If the person you are ignoring can’t see your chats to begin with there should be no additional ways to communicate together. Of course staff would be exempt from this
    Plugin or custom addition:
    Current ignore system
    One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Thonk Thonk x 2
    • Potato Potato x 2
    • List
    #1 skymaster200, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  2. RyanBlocks2

RyanBlocks2 EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +946
    -1. What is the point of this suggestion? So you can shit talk people in public chats without them seeing? Maybe if you need to do this you should take it to private chat, or just not do it at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Potato Potato x 3
    • List
  3. RealRichNixon

RealRichNixon Pres. Richard Nixon by day, GameAdmin by night.
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ Game Admin EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +395
  4. Lopporit

Lopporit Shiny SA
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ Server Admin EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Prestige ⭐⭐ XI ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Team

Ratings:
    +968
    This

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  5. Safiriaxo

Safiriaxo President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Builder ⚒️

Ratings:
    +33
    I think the point is being misunderstood. If there were a block option, I'd be for it. It's not to "shit talk" someone, it's literally to just be left alone. If I have someone blocked, I don't want them to know I'm online/getting their friends to message me so I will "unignore" them. I didn't think "shit talking" another person in general was allowed anyway? I feel like that would be stopped, and just not a real reason to not have this.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  6. skymaster200

Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +495
    This

7. RyanBlocks2

RyanBlocks2 EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +946
    I don't really see how this suggestion addresses this. If there are multiple people that you find annoying I think the proper step would be to /ignore both of them.

The ignore feature is useful for blocking messages of those you don't want to see. If there is targeted harassment by multiple users going on the ignore feature will not be useful in any case and the proper method to handle this would be filing a forum report.

This suggestion was filed after a user in chat was asking the same question multiple times. When asked why /ignore couldn't be used the answer from sky was that they would still see his messages. I don't see how this applies. Somehow I doubt the person in question was coordinating multiple accounts to ask him a generic question just to annoy him.

Edit: Reworded.

#7 RyanBlocks2, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  8. skymaster200

Ratings:
    +495
    I’ve had people muted for a while now so I’m unaware of what conversation you’re talking about. My response in chat was related to a conversation I was having with saf about her receiving multiple messages from users

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  9. Mission001

Mission001 Ex-EcoLegend HⱻặĐHůƞẗǝɍ
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $495
    Ratings:
    +6,478
    Unignore me please

-1 +1
    I don't really mind. Don't really ignore people as I tolerate most things.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thonk Thonk x 2
    • List
    #9 Mission001, Feb 28, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  10. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    One of the big issues I can see with this is the fact people can ignore staff members, but staff members are not allowed to ignore anyone (if this rule is still a thing). It’s going to take more code than you think to exclude staff members I think

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
    • List
  11. skymaster200

Ratings:
    +495
    Fair point that’s why I included the little staff are exempt at the bottom. Whole thing would take a little bit of work but I don’t think it’s too difficult to turn it down for that reason

12. Unnbearable

Unnbearable Slightly Bearable
    ECC Sponsor EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +171
    +1. I think it would be a great addition to basically make /ignore mute your messages to the player you're ignoring. Implementing this might be a small challenge in order to make sure staff is exempt from it, but shouldn't be too hard considering our awesome coding team!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thonk Thonk x 1
    • List
  13. Videowiz92

Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Benefactor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ X ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,183
    I think the approach we need to do to improving the ignore feature altogether should be figuring out a way to implement the blocking of user messages with the social interactions screen. The way essentials handles chat messages, it currently doesn't properly block messages if you use the social interactions screen to block player messages. Since everybody's gonna have to use a Microsoft account eventually to play Minecraft at all, utilize the official tools given to us by Mojang to hide messages from players.

As for any rule changes in regards to the ignoring of others, if they're using other players to continue to harass you it falls under harassment which is already handled by staff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    #13 Videowiz92, Feb 28, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  14. OConner1279

OConner1279 President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +624
    -1 Staff should actually do their jobs

15. Daconian

Daconian ECC Sponsor
    ECC Sponsor EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +21
    -1 i didnt pay 6 bucks to add someont to vip chat just to get full blast ignored!!!!! dont waste my trolling!

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Thonk Thonk x 1
    • List
    #15 Daconian, Mar 2, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  16. skymaster200

Ratings:
    +495
    prime example

17. Gowther32

Gowther32 Goat Sin of Lust
    ECC Sponsor EcoLegend ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +107
    -1 I have never personally liked the /ignore command and have never actually used it once since I first joined back in 2016. If I didn't like or agree with what someone said, I simply either didn't think about it or acknowledged that they are entitled to an opinion. Their are already rules in place to prevent harassment and spamming that are enforced by staff, and if none are around you can simply report. I personally can't get behind upgrading a command that I believe stunts player interactions in the first place and can create negativity and unresolved disputes within the community. Again, this is just my view on the subject, I know people like their /ignore command, if most are for this suggestion then by all means.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Potato x 1
    • List
  18. ZuluZu

ZuluZu EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️

Ratings:
    +44
    If you don't like what people say in chat may I suggest instead of ignoring them perhaps look at what you are saying. Baring your soul in chat, you can expect that people will want to discuss. If you don't like the responses, maybe PM to a friend or Local chat is a better place for reaching out. People offer advice because they care not because they want to be mean, and if you don't like the advice, then it's a good idea to seek that elsewhere. If not, then you will be just setting yourself up to /ignore everyone eventually.

• Like Like x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #18 ZuluZu, Mar 6, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  19. ZuluZu

ZuluZu EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️

Ratings:
    +44
    QUOTE="RyanBlocks2, post: 1132420, member: 11755"]I don't really see how this suggestion addresses this. If there are multiple people that you find annoying I think the proper step would be to /ignore both of them.

The ignore feature is useful for blocking messages of those you don't want to see. If there is targeted harassment by multiple users going on the ignore feature will not be useful in any case and the proper method to handle this would be filing a forum report.

This suggestion was filed after a user in chat was asking the same question multiple times. When asked why /ignore couldn't be used the answer from sky was that they would still see his messages. I don't see how this applies. Somehow I doubt the person in question was coordinating multiple accounts to ask him a generic question just to annoy him.

Honestly Ryan, these are the best replies to this post for sure. If you have an issue with someone (or a few people) just leave them alone. People will go away on their own once you stop feeding the fuel. It seems to me that /ignore is a double edged sword because it allows those people to talk about you in chat w/o you actually seeing what they are saying and being able to make a complaint. If I had an issue with someone I just let them know and we work through it like adults. This hiding in /ignore or using the /ignore feature for people that are annoying you is just juvenile IMHO

#19 ZuluZu, Mar 6, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  20. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    This.

I always treated /ignore as a temporary solution to make the person cool down (and for myself to not be egged on to stuff that the person wants me to react to); I personally use it to make people get the idea I am not dealing with their shit, and often unignore them once they cool down.

And tbh, if anything, I would want /ignore to just ignore PMs from a user, not block every public message from them too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.